New EV charging point legislation on the way

Articles of interest to the AD community, currently in the news.
Strangely Brown

New EV charging point legislation on the way

Postby Strangely Brown » Thu Sep 09, 2021 7:30 pm

From The Times today.
All new homes and offices will feature electric car chargers under new laws designed to address fears over a shortage of plug-in points.
The government confirmed today that legislation would be introduced before next year that would require the installation of charging points on all new-build properties in England.
The legislation, billed as the first of its kind in the world, will also require all chargers to be “smart” devices that will ensure batteries can be replenished without overloading the grid. This includes promoting the use of charging overnight. The rules are expected to come into force next year.

Hmmm... methinks that implies that every new build property has at least one off-road parking space?

jont-

Re: New EV charging point legislation on the way

Postby jont- » Thu Sep 09, 2021 7:50 pm

Strangely Brown wrote:From The Times today.
All new homes and offices will feature electric car chargers under new laws designed to address fears over a shortage of plug-in points.
The government confirmed today that legislation would be introduced before next year that would require the installation of charging points on all new-build properties in England.
The legislation, billed as the first of its kind in the world, will also require all chargers to be “smart” devices that will ensure batteries can be replenished without overloading the grid. This includes promoting the use of charging overnight. The rules are expected to come into force next year.

Hmmm... methinks that implies that every new build property has at least one off-road parking space?

You seem to be assuming there will be some joined up thinking going on. Most new build garages aren't fit to take a modern car. Why would charging points be fitted in a way that cars could make any use of them? :lol:

(If eco-ism was a priority, we could do much better by mandating new builds meet passivhaus standards, but obvs that would affect developer margins so it's never going to happen :roll: )

GTR1400MAN

Postby GTR1400MAN » Thu Sep 09, 2021 8:01 pm

Instead of mandating outlets, they need to work on where the input is coming from. :o

They had to fire up coal powered stations this week yet the number of EVs is still very low.
Mike Roberts - Now riding a Triumph Explorer XRT. My username comes from my 50K miles on a Kawasaki 1400GTR, after many years on Hondas of various shapes and styles. - https://tinyurl.com/mikerobertsonyoutube

waremark

Postby waremark » Thu Sep 09, 2021 9:50 pm

My son's new build block of flats in London was not allowed by the planners to have any parking provision, and occupants are not eligible for residents' parking. For properties which do provide parking, whether or not it has a charger pre-installed seems completely insignificant, I haven't heard of anyone finding it hard to install a charger once they have taken the step of buying an electric car, but only if they have off-street parking - unlike the great majority of big city residents. And where are electric cars of the greatest benefit - in big cities, where reducing use of ICE vehicles improves the local air quality.

crr003

Postby crr003 » Thu Sep 09, 2021 11:33 pm

GTR1400MAN wrote:Instead of mandating outlets, they need to work on where the input is coming from. :o

They had to fire up coal powered stations this week yet the number of EVs is still very low.

Also the article mentions smart chargers. The government will decide when you can have electricity.
What a future.

Horse

Postby Horse » Fri Sep 10, 2021 6:50 am

crr003 wrote:
GTR1400MAN wrote:Instead of mandating outlets, they need to work on where the input is coming from. :o

Also the article mentions smart chargers. The government will decide when you can have electricity.
What a future.

There ha been research on this. IIRC, many people are not particularly precious about exactly when their EV is charged. (Also IIRC an element of potential 'bribery' may have been discussed as an incentive).

Google CVEI if you want facts rather than my sketchy memories of it.

Spreading charging over time helps overcome those limits on the grid. It won't solve the whole thing, but it's part.
Your 'standard' is how you drive alone, not how you drive during a test.

crr003

Postby crr003 » Fri Sep 10, 2021 11:37 am

BGas getting on the bandwagon:
https://www.hivehome.com/shop/electric- ... e-charging
Only £599 (with a grant)

crr003

Postby crr003 » Fri Sep 10, 2021 11:56 am

Horse wrote:
crr003 wrote:

What a future.

There ha been research on this. IIRC, many people are not particularly precious about exactly when their EV is charged. (Also IIRC an element of potential 'bribery' may have been discussed as an incentive).

Google CVEI if you want facts rather than my sketchy memories of it.

Spreading charging over time helps overcome those limits on the grid. It won't solve the whole thing, but it's part.

Well yes, spreading things would help. Since the beginning of time, some bloke at the National Grid has controlled electricity supply to meet the ad breaks in Coronation Street!
I'm just worried about the EV owner who needs to get a family member to hospital (no NHS ambulances available) and the government has decided that he/she can't have any electricity as the hospital needs it. I suppose they could buy two EVs and keep one charged up.

Of course there will have been research (and I fall back to my usual position of "just because there's been a research grant, doesn't mean the research is right!)

Horse

Postby Horse » Fri Sep 10, 2021 3:05 pm

crr003 wrote:I'm just worried about the EV owner who needs to get a family member to hospital (no NHS ambulances available) and the government has decided that he/she can't have any electricity as the hospital needs it.

As I heard it, there would be an override option. If so, that would allow a fast charge.

crr003 wrote:Of course there will have been research

No. At one point, there wouldn't have been.

IIRC CVEI was either 'first' or 'biggest'. Have a read, let us know :)

crr003 wrote:Of course there will have been research (and I fall back to my usual position of "just because there's been a research grant, doesn't mean the research is right!)

Indeed. That's why good research is published, giving the method, so it can be repeated. And why you get 'Cochrane' reviews, to assess sets of similar research (avoiding cherry picking).
Your 'standard' is how you drive alone, not how you drive during a test.

jont-

Postby jont- » Fri Sep 10, 2021 4:07 pm

Horse wrote:Indeed. That's why good research is published, giving the method, so it can be repeated.

Except when it can't be. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Replication_crisis

Return to “In The News”