Insurance during lockdown

Articles of interest to the AD community, currently in the news.
skodatezzer

Insurance during lockdown

Postby skodatezzer » Mon Nov 09, 2020 7:42 pm

Some rather alarmist stuff on the news tonight, suggesting that insurance companies may refuse claims during the lockdown if your journey is deemed to be "non essential". Hive mind, any thoughts on this, please?

GTR1400MAN

Re: Insurance during lockdown

Postby GTR1400MAN » Mon Nov 09, 2020 8:25 pm

The roads aren't closed. You are allowed to ride/drive on them.

From The Health Protection (Coronavirus, Restrictions) (England) (No. 4) Regulations 2020

One of the reasons you are allowed out "visit a public outdoor place for the purposes of open air recreation".

One of the definitions of a public outdoor place "any highway to which the public has access".

What words are the alarmist articles quoting to invalidate a person's insurance?
Mike Roberts - Now riding a Triumph Explorer XRT. My username comes from my 50K miles on a Kawasaki 1400GTR, after many years on Hondas of various shapes and styles. - https://tinyurl.com/mikerobertsonyoutube

crr003

Postby crr003 » Mon Nov 09, 2020 8:45 pm

Maybe see what the ABI thinks - last question here:

https://www.abi.org.uk/products-and-iss ... insurance/

GTR1400MAN

Postby GTR1400MAN » Mon Nov 09, 2020 9:15 pm

Hmm, all the articles on line seem to quote Florence Codjoe from uswitch.com, yet not one links to an article on that site and I can not find an article searching on that site.
Mike Roberts - Now riding a Triumph Explorer XRT. My username comes from my 50K miles on a Kawasaki 1400GTR, after many years on Hondas of various shapes and styles. - https://tinyurl.com/mikerobertsonyoutube

waremark

Postby waremark » Tue Nov 10, 2020 1:14 am

Has anyone asked a broker?

jont-

Postby jont- » Tue Nov 10, 2020 8:40 am

Stolen from twitter, but "Price comparison website whips up a sensationalist storm to get a bit of press coverage, so the experts have to come in and clear up the mess. A common occurrence, sadly. Usually tend to find a ‘boutique PR agency’ has been involved..."

https://news.sky.com/story/coronavirus- ... n-12128401
"A spokesman for the Association of British Insurers said: "Motor insurers continue to cover those using their vehicle for commuting to work and NHS volunteering without you having to first tell them.

"You should follow government restrictions, but if you do use your car for non-essential travel, you will not risk invalidating your car insurance."

so the PR angle seems all too likely to me. I don't remember it being a problem in lockdown 1, and the regs are much more relaxed this time.

akirk

Postby akirk » Tue Nov 10, 2020 11:39 am

I think this has been pretty thoroughly debunked by a lawyer on pistonheads...
The reality is that there is no legal definition of essential / non-essential - so it would be very difficult for any insurance company to make it stick in court - equally, it would be a change in their terms and conditions for which you would have to be notified first...
so basically any form of journey is fine...

Alasdair

Jonquirk

Postby Jonquirk » Tue Nov 10, 2020 12:16 pm

If this silly story was true, anyone who parks on the street would have to remove their vehicle to an off-street parking place before lockdown started. Insurance doesn’t only provide cover while the vehicle is being driven

userLeft1

Postby userLeft1 » Thu Nov 26, 2020 10:51 pm

The current regulations do not refer to essential or non-essential but 'reasonably necessary' for a specific purpose. If your policy requires you to comply then non-compliance might invalidate it. I should think the policy would have to be specific as to the regulation breach that would result in this.

waremark

Postby waremark » Fri Nov 27, 2020 12:38 am

"The current regulations do not refer to essential or non-essential but 'reasonably necessary' for a specific purpose. "

Are you stating that it would be a criminal offence to drive for pleasure? Or just that it is contrary to guidelines?

Return to “In The News”