Highway Code Review for cyclists, pedestrians and horse riders

Articles of interest to the AD community, currently in the news.
Horse

Re: Highway Code Review for cyclists, pedestrians and horse riders

Postby Horse » Wed Feb 16, 2022 8:05 pm

Wouldn't have been easier to post that before asking?
Your 'standard' is how you drive alone, not how you drive during a test.

Gareth

Postby Gareth » Thu Feb 17, 2022 12:22 pm

crr003 wrote:people label roundabouts as junctions but are they really?

FWIW the IAM Roadsmart course has a section on junctions and roundabouts, IIRC starts with a comment that roundabouts are merely more complex junctions, then doesn't give non-roundabout junctions another word.

How to tell if someone is waiting to cross, or merely standing there? Sometimes I stop and find they're not all that bothered about crossing, and maybe try to wave me on. Other times they just look at me as if I'm waiting for them to start to cross so that I can run them over!
there is only the road, nothing but the road ...

Horse

Postby Horse » Thu Feb 17, 2022 12:31 pm

Gareth wrote:Other times they just look at me as if I'm waiting for them to start to cross so that I can run them over!

This demonstrates the importance of education.

You can support this by opening a window and informing them [loudly] that you will get them next time ;)
Your 'standard' is how you drive alone, not how you drive during a test.

crr003

Postby crr003 » Thu Feb 17, 2022 12:41 pm

Horse wrote:Wouldn't have been easier to post that before asking?

But I hadn't done my "forensic analysis" ( :geek: ) at that point - I was relying on the YouTube and Facebook experts to explain the changes. When it was obvious they had confusing ideas, I came here!
One bloke was suggesting a driver approaching a green light at a Puffin crossing should stop if a pedestrian was waiting to cross.

GTR1400MAN

Postby GTR1400MAN » Thu Feb 17, 2022 4:33 pm

Again much discussion about stopping coming off RABs. The rule that has been changed/clarified for junctions is rule 170, part of the group Road Junctions (rules 170 to 183) there have been no such changes/clarifications in the group Roundabouts (rules 184 to 190).

In the pic crr003 linked to I probably wouldn't stop unless the traffic was queueing / crawling.
Mike Roberts - Now riding a Triumph Explorer XRT. My username comes from my 50K miles on a Kawasaki 1400GTR, after many years on Hondas of various shapes and styles. - https://tinyurl.com/mikerobertsonyoutube

Strangely Brown

Postby Strangely Brown » Thu Feb 17, 2022 6:29 pm

One presumes that the distinction between should and MUST still applies?

sussex2

Postby sussex2 » Fri Feb 18, 2022 8:26 am

Where I live if you have a green light and turning the pedestrians will also have a green light, you give way.
Marked crossings are at every junction including roundabouts and you are required to pause (the idea being that nobody stops - no exchange of pleasantries and a thank you card in the post). In any town there will be no more than 50 metres between crossings.
People know this and have been doing it for decades, you expect people to exercise their rights. The system is common in many neighbouring countries.
It is new to the UK where rules have been in the favour of wheeled vehicles for a long time.
There will be a transition period and education will be key.
Last edited by sussex2 on Fri Feb 18, 2022 9:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

sussex2

Postby sussex2 » Fri Feb 18, 2022 9:04 am

This is change and people will need to adapt. I think this video is fair enough on the point:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kdo1wOGfXME

vanman

Postby vanman » Fri Feb 18, 2022 10:34 am

Well found, excellent explanation. I can see a lot of us out there waiting quite a while while the pedestrian/cyclist realises they CAN go. Just have to get used to it I suppose. :flail:

sussex2

Postby sussex2 » Sat Feb 19, 2022 7:26 am

vanman wrote:Well found, excellent explanation. I can see a lot of us out there waiting quite a while while the pedestrian/cyclist realises they CAN go. Just have to get used to it I suppose. :flail:

He still has a bit of whinge about the people with the dogs. It's pretty obvious you let the whole group go.
It'll take a little time and it is that, time, which people will have to allow for, to get used to waiting just a little longer.
Being more aware and alert may help as well.

Return to “In The News”