DVSA Tests and Lessons to Resume

Articles of interest to the AD community, currently in the news.
martine

Re: DVSA Tests and Lessons to Resume

Postby martine » Wed Jul 01, 2020 9:50 am

jcochrane wrote:...I think you've summed this up precisely, Gareth. How can RoADA or IAM even be considering in car training yet.

Our regional IAMRS guy has said the IAM won't issue guidance until sometime after the DVSA...he was talking about 3/4 weeks after. Of course it's still down the individuals concerned if they wish to particapte...I know some of our Observers aren't planning on doing anything this year.

It's going to be an 'interesting' few months... :shock:
Martin - Bristol Advanced Motorists: IMI National Observer, Group Secretary, Masters (dist), DSA: ADI, Fleet, RoSPA (Dip)

crr003

Postby crr003 » Wed Jul 01, 2020 3:43 pm

martine wrote:
jcochrane wrote:...I think you've summed this up precisely, Gareth. How can RoADA or IAM even be considering in car training yet.

Our regional IAMRS guy has said the IAM won't issue guidance until sometime after the DVSA...he was talking about 3/4 weeks after. Of course it's still down the individuals concerned if they wish to particapte...I know some of our Observers aren't planning on doing anything this year.

It's going to be an 'interesting' few months... :shock:

Latest update -

IAMRS wrote:The return to on-road coaching will start with a two-week period of peer observed sessions and assessments for our observers from Monday. This will be followed by the restart of Associate in-car coaching from Monday 20 July. Tests will restart two weeks later Monday 3 August. This reflects the arrangements for resuming Advanced Rider coaching.

Monday is July 6th.

jcochrane
Location: Surrey-Kent borders and wherever good driving roads are.

Postby jcochrane » Wed Jul 01, 2020 4:51 pm

What the IAM appear to overlook in today’s Government bulletin on car driving instruction is that it is clearly directed at ADIs, in order to reboot the professional driving instructing industry and testing bodies. Whilst these sectors are not working they will continue to be a financial burden to Government.The relevant section for most of us in that bulletin is this.....

“The rule applies to all types of driver and motorcycle training in England, including private practice with someone you live with or in your support bubble”

I am not an ADI and as such see the observing I do as falling in the “private practice” definition and therefore should not be undertaking observing just yet until the social distancing rules allow it.

I can understand that the IAM are keen to see the restart of observing, as to them it is a business where they have taken money from the public part of which includes observed runs and they also need to be able to offer this to get their revenue from selling Roadsmart.
It also seems a cheek that the cost of the required PPE equipment they say is to be borne by the Group.

Peer to peer training they say should start from Monday which only gives Groups a few days to obtain the stocks of mask, cloves and other PPE equipment etc that the IAM say are going to be required. They apparently have a detailed draft to be made available shortly but if it is anything like some driving schools are saying it will be quite onerous.

jont-

Postby jont- » Wed Jul 01, 2020 6:28 pm

jcochrane wrote:gives Groups a few days to obtain the stocks of mask, cloves and other PPE equipment

I know the IAM has a bit of an archaic reputation, but is that taking it a bit far? :lol:

jcochrane

Postby jcochrane » Wed Jul 01, 2020 6:51 pm

Should scare off the Associates.

Strangely Brown

Postby Strangely Brown » Wed Jul 01, 2020 6:56 pm

jcochrane wrote:I am not an ADI and as such see the observing I do as falling in the “private practice” definition and therefore should not be undertaking observing just yet until the social distancing rules allow it.

But it's not private practice. You are delivering a course for which someone has paid money.
Yes, it's that same old argument again.

jcochrane

Postby jcochrane » Thu Jul 02, 2020 1:26 am

Strangely Brown wrote:
jcochrane wrote:I am not an ADI and as such see the observing I do as falling in the “private practice” definition and therefore should not be undertaking observing just yet until the social distancing rules allow it.

But it's not private practice. You are delivering a course for which someone has paid money.
Yes, it's that same old argument again.

Maybe (as you say the same old argument) but neither is it Approved Driver Instruction for which an ADI licence is required.

The Government guidance is specifically for ADIs and the testing bodies to get them back into business. Most Observers are not ADIs and so general social distancing still applies to them.

My point was that as such the only part of the guidance that might possibly apply is under the heading of "private practice" where the people in the car have to be in the same family or social bubble. I know the term does not fit exactly but then the document was not for volunteer Observers.

It maybe that the guidance could also be applicable to anyone who is not an ADI but if so then why make mention of driving with a non ADI and specifically saying that in those instances general social distancing rules are still applicable. :roll:

Gareth

Postby Gareth » Thu Jul 02, 2020 6:18 am

Strangely Brown wrote:But it's not private practice. You are delivering a course for which someone has paid money.

While observers can deliver the course they are under no obligation to do so.
there is only the road, nothing but the road ...

Gareth

Postby Gareth » Thu Jul 02, 2020 6:30 am

What the IAM appear to have said is

IAM RoadSmart is delighted the Driver and Vehicle Standards Agency (DVSA) has announced that learners can resume driving lessons in England from Saturday 4 July 2020 and driving tests from Wednesday 22nd July. This means, in line with government guidelines yet to be issued, we can prepare for a return to car observing and testing.

The return to on-road coaching will start with a two-week period of peer observed sessions and assessments for our observers from Monday. This will be followed by the restart of Associate in-car coaching from Monday 20 July. Tests will restart two weeks later Monday 3 August.

So, oddly, they're jumping the gun somewhat as the government guidelines haven't been issued.

Gareth

Postby Gareth » Thu Jul 02, 2020 6:40 am

The current (June 29th) guidance from the UK government is that "People from a household or support bubble can travel together in a vehicle" but then goes on to say the following about car sharing:

"If you normally share a vehicle with people from other households or support bubbles for essential journeys, we recommend you find a different way to travel so that you can maintain social distancing. For example, consider walking, cycling or using your own vehicle if you can.

"If you do have to travel with people outside your household or support bubble try to:
  • share the transport with the same people each time
  • keep to small groups of people at any one time
  • open windows for ventilation
  • travel side by side or behind other people, rather than facing them, where seating arrangements allow
  • face away from each other
  • consider seating arrangements to maximise distance between people in the vehicle
  • clean your car between journeys using standard cleaning products - make sure you clean door handles and other areas that people may touch
  • ask the driver and passengers to wear a face covering

Return to “In The News”