Banning the wrong things again?

Articles of interest to the AD community, currently in the news.
RiK

Re: Banning the wrong things again?

Postby RiK » Tue Nov 23, 2021 9:47 pm

sussex2 wrote:Do not the wireless charging shelves do this? But then I think Android Auto needs a cable connection.

I dunno about Android, but on the iPhone, Apples 'Carplay' system can work wirelessly if the car supports it, or, you can do what I did and get a little wireless adaptor which plugs into your cars USB to enable it. That's what I've done, and now mine supports wireless carplay even if my phone is in my pocket/bag/wherever.

This is what I got, it's tiny (about the size of a small matchbox) and works perfectly with my iPhone. https://amzn.to/3cJTHwu

And this is another similar unit, bit more expensive though: https://amzn.to/3r69jTg
Richard Olpin: Bristol IAM: Training Officer, IAM: Masters (Dist), IMI National Observer, LOA. Gloucestershire Constabulary SC6240.

sussex2

Postby sussex2 » Wed Nov 24, 2021 12:35 pm

Horse wrote:
sussex2 wrote:
waremark wrote:Will manufacturers start installing hands-free phone brackets?

Do not the wireless charging shelves do this? But then I think Android Auto needs a cable connection.

With mine, the salesman said the Bluetooth isn't sufficient, ideally use a cable.

(I don't have wireless charging). Although I did find out that it has the 'dipping' NS mirror for reversing.

I find little 'things' the manufacturer has done from time to time and some very clever (Stellantis group - Peugeot) some not so.

Horse

Postby Horse » Wed Nov 24, 2021 2:22 pm

sussex2 wrote:
Horse wrote:
sussex2 wrote:Although I did find out that it has the 'dipping' NS mirror for reversing.

I find little 'things' the manufacturer has done from time to time and some very clever

Other recent discovery was trickling along at tickover, in first, in traffic.

Uphill.

It just added a sufficient whiff of fumes to not stall or need clutch slip.

I probably ought to RTFM ...
Your 'standard' is how you drive alone, not how you drive during a test.

waremark

Postby waremark » Wed Nov 24, 2021 6:54 pm

sussex2 wrote:
waremark wrote:Will manufacturers start installing hands-free phone brackets?

Do not the wireless charging shelves do this? But then I think Android Auto needs a cable connection.

My Jaguar has recently had an over the air update which changes Apple CarPlay and Android Auto from needing a wireless connection to operating wirelessly (the over the air update works just the same as on a phone or PC, it tells you a new firmware version has downloaded using the car's sim, and asks when you want to schedule the update, it has to be when the car is locked).

The car has a wireless charging shelf. That is not in a convenient position for use of the phone's touchscreen so if you wanted to do things on the phone legally you would need a different bracket.

I have not yet used wireless Android Auto - I quite like the car's own infotainment features and don't want to hide them away to use Android Auto. In the Jaguar, if you use Android Auto nav, you do not get guidance on the instrument panel or the headup display, whereas you do with the Jag's native Pivi Pro nav. I expect the traffic info and camera warnings may be better in Google Maps or Waze, but it is a trade-off.

If any of you use Android Auto, what are the advantages?

M1ke H

Postby M1ke H » Thu Nov 25, 2021 9:58 am

Similar to Mark above, I prefer the Infotainment system provided by the manufacturer - in my case Audi, to the Android Auto offering. It may be that the Audi Virtual Cockpit doesn't suit it particularly well, but then I found it also not to my liking when running it in OH's Golf. It may simply be a case of my preference for that with which I'm familiar, but in my limited use so far I can't really see what it offers over the manufacturers standard offering.
Even when OH runs Apple Maps I prefer the standard VW mapping! It's perhaps fortuitous that my MG is many, many levels of tech below any of this... ;)

sussex2

Postby sussex2 » Sun Nov 28, 2021 1:05 pm

M1ke H wrote:Similar to Mark above, I prefer the Infotainment system provided by the manufacturer - in my case Audi, to the Android Auto offering. It may be that the Audi Virtual Cockpit doesn't suit it particularly well, but then I found it also not to my liking when running it in OH's Golf. It may simply be a case of my preference for that with which I'm familiar, but in my limited use so far I can't really see what it offers over the manufacturers standard offering.
Even when OH runs Apple Maps I prefer the standard VW mapping! It's perhaps fortuitous that my MG is many, many levels of tech below any of this... ;)

A 20 year old MX5 is the also lacking in any kind of technology.
The problems come when trying to find somewhere in a city that puts restrictions on certain types of vehicles; something which will become more and more prevalent even in medium sized towns and cities. The MX5 can only be driven into the largest towns and cities hereabouts at weekends.
To drive around at -15c with the roof down (suitably clothed) is sublime.
Strangely these super little cars do not have a reputation for rust in Spain even in mountainous areas.

jcochrane
Location: Surrey-Kent borders and wherever good driving roads are.

Postby jcochrane » Sun Nov 28, 2021 11:21 pm

M1ke H wrote:Similar to Mark above, I prefer the Infotainment system provided by the manufacturer - in my case Audi, to the Android Auto offering. It may be that the Audi Virtual Cockpit doesn't suit it particularly well, but then I found it also not to my liking when running it in OH's Golf. It may simply be a case of my preference for that with which I'm familiar, but in my limited use so far I can't really see what it offers over the manufacturers standard offering.

My VW uses TomTom mapping for the in car sat nav Which may be why you prefer it to other mapping. The downside though is map updates and no speed camera information.
Most of the time I use the TomTom app on the iPhone and CarPlay to cast it onto the infotainment screen. Giving me the best of all worlds. :)

Return to “In The News”