Older cars become more attractive by the day

Articles of interest to the AD community, currently in the news.
Triquet
Posts: 326
Joined: Tue Sep 29, 2015 7:32 pm

Re: Older cars become more attractive by the day

Postby Triquet » Sun Sep 06, 2020 11:41 am

The other thing that irritates is the increase in the range of tools needed to do anything to a modern car. Time was a small socket set, a few screwdrivers and big hammer sufficed (plus a torque wrench if you were posh), but now all sorts of weird things are needed. Plus a PhD in electronic engineering.

User avatar
jont-
Posts: 1202
Joined: Mon Sep 28, 2015 7:12 am
Location: Flatlands

Re: Older cars become more attractive by the day

Postby jont- » Sun Sep 06, 2020 4:31 pm

Triquet wrote:The other thing that irritates is the increase in the range of tools needed to do anything to a modern car. Time was a small socket set, a few screwdrivers and big hammer sufficed (plus a torque wrench if you were posh), but now all sorts of weird things are needed. Plus a PhD in electronic engineering.

My old(ish) car needs a mix of imperial (chassis, brakes) and metric (engine) :lol:

User avatar
Discov8
Posts: 91
Joined: Sat Oct 03, 2015 9:24 pm
Location: Surrey

Re: Older cars become more attractive by the day

Postby Discov8 » Mon Sep 07, 2020 5:18 am

I use a mixture of WW, BSF, AF and BA on our 1958 Land Rover 107" Station Wagons.

vanman
Posts: 256
Joined: Sat Oct 10, 2015 4:16 pm
Location: Caterham Surrey

Re: Older cars become more attractive by the day

Postby vanman » Mon Sep 07, 2020 9:41 am

Discov8 wrote:I use a mixture of WW, BSF, AF and BA on our 1958 Land Rover 107" Station Wagons.

What! NO metric. :o

Triquet
Posts: 326
Joined: Tue Sep 29, 2015 7:32 pm

Re: Older cars become more attractive by the day

Postby Triquet » Mon Sep 07, 2020 3:25 pm

Alternatively a Mole Wrench (metric) and a Stillson (imperial)

User avatar
jont-
Posts: 1202
Joined: Mon Sep 28, 2015 7:12 am
Location: Flatlands

Re: Older cars become more attractive by the day

Postby jont- » Mon Sep 07, 2020 4:40 pm

Triquet wrote:Alternatively a Mole Wrench (metric) and a Stillson (imperial)

Ah, the haynes school of motor maintenance :lol:

User avatar
Horse
Posts: 2517
Joined: Mon Sep 28, 2015 9:20 am

Re: Older cars become more attractive by the day

Postby Horse » Mon Sep 07, 2020 5:32 pm

jont- wrote:
Triquet wrote:Alternatively a Mole Wrench (metric) and a Stillson (imperial)

Ah, the haynes school of motor maintenance :lol:


As distinct from the Coventry screwdriver school?

Edit: having now clicked the link ....
beat repeatedly with hammer
Your 'standard' is how you drive alone, not how you drive during a test.


Return to “In The News”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 8 guests