Posting pictures

Post here for any improvements, ideas, thoughts you might have.
waremark

Re: Posting pictures

Postby waremark » Thu Sep 07, 2023 9:53 pm

GTR1400MAN wrote:
waremark wrote:What is the easiest free way to put up a photo?

Try this (https://imgbb.com/). No need to register. It even generates the code to put in your posting for you and does thumbnails, small images and full fat ones. I'd suggest you remove any EXIF data from your pics before posting anywhere. FB etc. do this automatically.

Many thanks.

Afraid I have posted a full size image and did not know how to remove EXIF data (don't know what that is) but it seems to have worked. Maybe I should remove the image in a few days.

Horse

Postby Horse » Fri Sep 08, 2023 6:40 am

GTR1400MAN wrote:
waremark wrote:What is the easiest free way to put up a photo?

FB etc. do this automatically.

Facebook?

Highly unlikely that it will affect you, but their T&Cs given them permission to sell your images.

(In)famous case where they sold a UK beach holiday picture to Aussie advertisers. Unfortunately, it featured an under-16.
Your 'standard' is how you drive alone, not how you drive during a test.

GTR1400MAN

Postby GTR1400MAN » Fri Sep 08, 2023 7:30 am

waremark wrote:... did not know how to remove EXIF data (don't know what that is) but it seems to have worked. Maybe I should remove the image in a few days.

I've just downloaded the image and can glean the following info from it. This may or may not be a concern to you in the future depending on the photo and what you are using it for.

Camera/Phone Make: ********
Model: ********
Software: ********
Date/Time: ********
Exposure Time: ********
F Number: ********
ISO Speed ratings: ********
Exposure Program: ********
Metering Mode: ********
Exposure Bias: ********
Flash: ********
Focal Length: ********
35mm Equivalent: ********
Lens Model:
GPS: ******** (full co-ordinates)

This article may be of interest.
Mike Roberts - Now riding a Triumph Explorer XRT. My username comes from my 50K miles on a Kawasaki 1400GTR, after many years on Hondas of various shapes and styles. - https://tinyurl.com/mikerobertsonyoutube

jont-

Postby jont- » Fri Sep 08, 2023 7:37 am

GTR1400MAN wrote:I'd suggest you remove any EXIF data from your pics before posting anywhere. FB etc. do this automatically.

:lol: they might do it in the public version but you can bet it's filed in one of their databases somewhere.

GTR1400MAN

Postby GTR1400MAN » Fri Sep 08, 2023 7:44 am

Horse wrote:
GTR1400MAN wrote:FB etc. do this automatically.

Facebook?

Highly unlikely that it will affect you, but their T&Cs given them permission to sell your images.

(In)famous case where they sold a UK beach holiday picture to Aussie advertisers. Unfortunately, it featured an under-16.

Err, you have to be careful just what you mean by sell. They have no rights to sell your photo. You still own it. What they can do is charge a 3rd party to embed a public picture in an online advert or webpage.

My personal photos, only shared to friends/family, would not be used for this purpose. Anything you post public is fair game for onward licensing.
Mike Roberts - Now riding a Triumph Explorer XRT. My username comes from my 50K miles on a Kawasaki 1400GTR, after many years on Hondas of various shapes and styles. - https://tinyurl.com/mikerobertsonyoutube

GTR1400MAN

Postby GTR1400MAN » Fri Sep 08, 2023 7:46 am

jont- wrote:
GTR1400MAN wrote:I'd suggest you remove any EXIF data from your pics before posting anywhere. FB etc. do this automatically.

:lol: they might do it in the public version but you can bet it's filed in one of their databases somewhere.

Yep, done for the photos they serve to others. The GPS co-ords are why it can suggest where the photo was taken (along with AI to identify places and people's faces)

GTR1400MAN

Postby GTR1400MAN » Fri Sep 08, 2023 7:52 am

For those concerned I use FastOne's image viewer software to remove personal data from pics.

It's also great for basic editing, cropping, format changing, repairing etc. You can also script it to do the same thing to multiple images.

And it's FREE for personal use.

Horse

Postby Horse » Fri Sep 08, 2023 9:09 am

GTR1400MAN wrote:
Horse wrote:
GTR1400MAN wrote:FB etc. do this automatically.

Facebook?

Err, you have to be careful just what you mean by sell. They have no rights to sell your photo. You still own it. What they can do is charge a 3rd party to embed a public picture in an online advert or webpage.

My personal photos, only shared to friends/family, would not be used for this purpose. Anything you post public is fair game for onward licensing.

Completely understand about posting in public. I've had stuff 'borrowed' from my training web site. One, when challenged, replied "I thought anything on the Internet was free" ...

I used to use the Visordown forum. The owner sold it to a commercial organisation. New T&Cs appeared giving them rights to reuse any content posted. Yes, you are still the person who created it, the copyright holder, but those T&Cs signed away your rights. Not a great concern to me but for other users it was.

Instagram also has rights to your content:

"When you share, post or upload content that is covered by intellectual property rights (such as photos or videos) on or in connection with our Service, you hereby grant to us a non-exclusive, royalty-free, transferable, sublicensable, worldwide licence to host, use, distribute, modify, run, copy, publicly perform or display, translate and create derivative works of your content"

An in the Fb example, it was a holiday snap.

I'd guess that AI searches would facilitate identification of suitable images.
Your 'standard' is how you drive alone, not how you drive during a test.

waremark

Postby waremark » Fri Sep 08, 2023 10:37 pm

Interesting. In this case I am not at all bothered.

Return to “This Website”