Good afternoon :)

A good place to post when you join - it is a good idea to post here first so that people know something about you, and you will get a nice welcome.
Horse

Re: Good afternoon :)

Postby Horse » Wed May 20, 2020 6:46 am

Estate wrote:
WhoseGeneration wrote:Forgive me but I'm not quite understanding the OP's initial post.
How does joining here improve skills for a current ES driver, presumably subject to regular checking of those skills and, of course, able to use exemptions to really demonstrate those skills?

Sorry for the late reply, I wasn't saying that joining here would improve my skills - I was saying that I'm interested in keeping in the loop about advanced driving and improving skills.

Look upon it as an opportunity, it may happen. There is a breadth of knowledge and experience that extends way beyond the limits of Roadcraft-based training.
Your 'standard' is how you drive alone, not how you drive during a test.

WhoseGeneration

Postby WhoseGeneration » Wed May 20, 2020 6:55 pm

Estate wrote:
WhoseGeneration wrote:Forgive me but I'm not quite understanding the OP's initial post.
How does joining here improve skills for a current ES driver, presumably subject to regular checking of those skills and, of course, able to use exemptions to really demonstrate those skills?

Sorry for the late reply, I wasn't saying that joining here would improve my skills - I was saying that I'm interested in keeping in the loop about advanced driving and improving skills.

Long ago, after I'd met the standard for IAM membership and then helped others to do the same I just wished that the IAM standard would become the base standard for driving in the UK.
Fool was I.

angus

Postby angus » Thu May 21, 2020 11:09 am

WhoseGeneration wrote:Long ago, after I'd met the standard for IAM membership and then helped others to do the same I just wished that the IAM standard would become the base standard for driving in the UK.
Fool was I.

It wouldn't be too bad if all drivers maintained the DoT test standard.

I've had associates who wouldn't have passed the standard test if they took it again

jont-

Postby jont- » Thu May 21, 2020 12:15 pm

angus wrote:
WhoseGeneration wrote:Long ago, after I'd met the standard for IAM membership and then helped others to do the same I just wished that the IAM standard would become the base standard for driving in the UK.
Fool was I.

It wouldn't be too bad if all drivers maintained the DoT test standard.

I've had associates who wouldn't have passed the standard test if they took it again

The majority of motorists would fail the 'L' test on the majority of their drives. Usually for speeding in 30s, but running amber lights, then undue hesitance would get a few too, who seem to think driving is the least important activity they are responsible for while in control of a vehicle.

martine

Postby martine » Fri May 22, 2020 9:08 am

Don't forget tailgating - pretty common I reckon.

I guess most drivers think they are good and after all, what is there to learn after passing the 2 UK tests and driving for a few years... :shock:
Martin - Bristol Advanced Motorists: IMI National Observer, Group Secretary, Masters (dist), DSA: ADI, Fleet, RoSPA (Dip)

jont-

Postby jont- » Fri May 22, 2020 11:56 am

martine wrote:Don't forget tailgating - pretty common I reckon.

Oh yes, and complete lack of multilane road lane discipline :evil:

angus

Postby angus » Sat May 23, 2020 10:53 am

Just imagine all those returning to the roads after not driving for a couple of months....

Return to “Introductions”