Yet another....

A good place to post when you join - it is a good idea to post here first so that people know something about you, and you will get a nice welcome.
BobG

Yet another....

Postby BobG » Wed Jan 15, 2020 5:48 pm

Evening everyone

BobG here. Probably one of the oldest on here so equally probably got a longer driving history than most - almost all of it bad. Bought a rather silly car 12 months ago which, after realising I couldn't really drive the thing, led me, at the instigation of a certain Kirk, to a well known instructor near Banbury. What an eye opener....! So, a couple of half day lessons later, and one extremely good and one extremely bad session with mentors later (thank you Tony. Apologies Roger) I have arrived here.

My wheels? Quite a turnover in recent months. Historically I've always been an Alfa man. Started off, decades ago, with a Guilia Super. Fell in love with Alfetta GTV''s and GTV6's but their day passed long ago. Drove mostly crap for quite a while then several 2 litre 916 Alfa GTV's. Now? I have a 3 litre 916 GTV as the daily driver. I had an R8 V10 manual as the sunny day car but that's gone now. I've got the infinitely preferable R8 V8 manual instead. And I have one of the very few remaining Alfetta GTV6's left in the country. Yes! It's in stunningly good condition too :) Along with Clarkson, who also bought one not too long back, I suspect we are now re-living our pasts. Haven't driven mine yet. Bought it in November. Waiting for the better weather. It's in way too good a nick to let salt get anywhere near it. Well, that and it's a 70's Alfa of course...

Oh. And I'm based at the southern edge of the Cotswolds - though I'm working in Telford right now!

Cheers

BobG

jont-

Re: Yet another....

Postby jont- » Wed Jan 15, 2020 6:17 pm

Lovely mix of cars. You'd better watch out for Gareth eyeing up the GTV6...

akirk

Postby akirk » Wed Jan 15, 2020 6:43 pm

Welcome Bob - having lived opposite each other for c. 20 years, it is probably not a surprise that we have occasionally talked about and driven cars together! Shame the v10 has gone - that was a fantastic car, but good to see the numbers of Alfas increasing :)

some good folks on here from whom you will learn a lot...

Alasdair

Horse

Postby Horse » Wed Jan 15, 2020 7:08 pm

Hello, good evening!
Your 'standard' is how you drive alone, not how you drive during a test.

MrToad

Postby MrToad » Wed Jan 15, 2020 10:34 pm

Hi Bob - glad to see you've found us. Hope the practice is going well.

BobG

Postby BobG » Wed Jan 15, 2020 10:39 pm

Hi Alasdair, hi everybody

Yes. Alex was utterly heart broken when the V10 went. But two quite expensive depreciating assets and twice the risk of an 8 grand clutch or something meant it was only ever going to be a short time before one of them went. In the end I plumped for keeping the V8. A nicer car to drive in my eyes. And I reckon the noise is better too :)

But the benefit of selling the V10 was not only paying off the loan and so reducing my outgoings but also having the readies available when I stumbled on C44 VNX - in Northern Ireland of all places. My all time favourite model. And less than half the price of the V10! Mind you, you could buy a pretty decent GTV6 for five grand not too long ago. Fat chance of that now. It's stored in the Cotswold Classic Motor Hub at the moment if you're passing by. If you do go, take a good look. I understand there are less than 150 Alfetta coupes, of all engine sizes and variants, left in this country now. A terrific car. A terrific engineering departure. A terrific noise (in Spades, redoubled) and a terrific thing to drive. I've wanted this for more than 10 years.

How's life in the western smoke Alasdair? I miss seeing you and your beast!

BobG

BobG

Postby BobG » Wed Jan 15, 2020 11:00 pm

I should also have said:

1) Who is Gareth? Will folk warn me when he hoves into sight?!
2) How do I get a pic, of anything at all, down to 29Kb to upload as my avatar? I was hoping to put one of C44 VNX up but even the smallest is 360kb.
2) If you happen to own a copy of the October edition of Auto Italia, there's a 6 page spread about the Alfetta GTV6 and its Busso engine. And guess which car is posing for the photographer?!

BobG

akirk

Postby akirk » Thu Jan 16, 2020 7:57 am

Gareth is a member on here - fabulous driver and a bit of an Alfa enthusiast :)

To reduce image size - you will need software such as irfanview (free) which can a) reduce the dimensions and b) compress the jpg...

M1ke H

Postby M1ke H » Thu Jan 16, 2020 10:10 am

Hi Bob and welcome to ADH from another Cotswoldian.

angus

Postby angus » Thu Jan 16, 2020 3:26 pm

Welcome from another Alfa owner

I use this to shrink images: http://www.shrinkpictures.com/

Return to “Introductions”