A good place to post when you join - it is a good idea to post here first so that people know something about you, and you will get a nice welcome.
Lizzy

Postby Lizzy » Tue Nov 12, 2019 8:26 pm

Hello!

Newbie to both advanced driving and to ADHub. I have been driving for around 8 years, and looking forward to improving my skills and meeting new people :)

I'm going to to be looking into joining IAM/RoSPA for next year, so any advice, I'm all ears.

Horse

Re: Newbie

Postby Horse » Tue Nov 12, 2019 8:44 pm

Good evening!
Your 'standard' is how you drive alone, not how you drive during a test.

akirk

Postby akirk » Tue Nov 12, 2019 9:24 pm

welcome - do share a bit about what you enjoy / the type of driving you do / what you hope to get from AD / why you are doing it - always lovely to hear different views!

Alasdair

Triquet

Postby Triquet » Wed Nov 13, 2019 9:55 am

Welcome!

Gareth

Postby Gareth » Wed Nov 13, 2019 1:06 pm

Welcome to the forum.

You mention advice ... generally, the choice between IAM and RoADAR comes down to what is most convenient in terms of location, since the larger differences will be down to the volunteers who assist as you progress through the respective courses. Both are based on Roadcraft, the Police driving manual, although the IAM provides its own presentation of the course material. There is a difference in how the courses are charged; the IAM has a single charge for the first year of membership with the local and central charities, for help with the course and for the test, while (I think) RoADAR charges each of these items separately.

The formal route through the IAM and RoADAR local groups is that people who have successfully passed the test of their respective organisation provide feedback and suggestions to help you prepare yourself for doing the same. Some of the local groups, which are charities affiliated to the central charity, will assign a volunteer to help you through the process, whereas others might arrange practice sessions in which you are paired with a different volunteer each time. If you have a strong preference, it's worth asking the local groups how they arrange that aspect.

It's worth knowing that not all local groups arrange demonstration drives, nor are all volunteers willing to give demonstration drives. I think it is very important to drive with others who have experience of advanced driving, even more so if not arranged by the local group, since then you get to see how it looks, and you get used to having someone sit with you who is paying attention to how you are driving. This can be nerve-wracking since most passengers pay little or no attention most of the time. The informal driving days arranged by members of this forum, such as the one you have signed up for, are an excellent fast-track way to learn about the UK style of advanced driving.
there is only the road, nothing but the road ...

martine

Postby martine » Wed Nov 13, 2019 6:28 pm

Hi Lizzy and welcome.

Hopefully you'll find the contributors here, interesting and useful but it's a real mix here of all drivers who have an interest in Advanced Driving. Some are members of IAM RoadSmart and/or ROSPA, some are Observers and help others learn the skills, some are ex or serving police and others have no formal qualifications.

Do you have any questions? Genuine queries are treated with respect and you'll get some great answers - please ask away.
Martin - Bristol Advanced Motorists: IMI National Observer, Group Secretary, Masters (dist), DSA: ADI, Fleet, RoSPA (Dip)

Lizzy

Postby Lizzy » Wed Nov 13, 2019 8:35 pm

Thank you for the lovely welcome.

So I have been to 2 HPC young driver days a couple of years ago, which were brilliant fun and got me inspired. A lack of time and funds meant I didn't pursue further, so I'm really looking forward to the drive at the end of the month, drive some new roads and get some different perspectives on my driving style, and get into developing my skills more seriously.

Ultimately I want to be a better, safer driver, and hopefully get involved in the social side as well.

jcochrane
Location: Surrey-Kent borders and wherever good driving roads are.

Postby jcochrane » Thu Nov 14, 2019 11:35 pm

Welcome Lizzy, Look forward to meeting you at Newbury. Good to hear that you enjoyed the Young Driver Days and found it inspiring. You will find a number of people attending Newbury who have completed the High Performance Course and you may recognise some of them.

Ray Mott

Postby Ray Mott » Sun Nov 17, 2019 5:45 pm

Welcome Lizzy.

Mr Cholmondeley-Warner

Postby Mr Cholmondeley-Warner » Thu Nov 21, 2019 9:35 pm

Welcome. I hear you have impeccable pedigree :)
Nick

Return to “Introductions”