Introduction

A good place to post when you join - it is a good idea to post here first so that people know something about you, and you will get a nice welcome.
martine

Re: Introduction

Postby martine » Mon Jan 07, 2019 2:58 pm

Hi and welcome - hopefully you'll find this forum interesting and useful in your journey to driving perfection.

If you just passed the IAM test, I'd suggest you hold off doing any more tests for a few months - better to work in the stuff mentioned and build your new skills into regular 'habits' before going for another test.

The ROSPA test is extremely similar to the IAM but everyone has their own 'flavours' of advanced driving. ROSPA is a smaller organisation (c.10,000 members) than IAM RoadSmart (c. 90,000 members)- hence the waiting list I guess.

If you have any questions - just ask - you'll get a whole range of responses - some useful! Keep a look out for ADHub driving days - they are friendly, instructive and free! http://www.advanceddrivinghub.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=5
Martin - Bristol Advanced Motorists: IMI National Observer, Group Secretary, Masters (dist), DSA: ADI, Fleet, RoSPA (Dip)

Horse

Postby Horse » Mon Jan 07, 2019 3:35 pm

martine wrote: I'd suggest you hold off doing any more tests for a few months - better to work in the stuff mentioned and build your new skills into regular 'habits'

. . . Keep a look out for ADHub driving days - they are friendly, instructive and free! http://www.advanceddrivinghub.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=5

I've posted before that it took me a year of practice on just one thing (using the throttle in corners to steer, after a session with Gareth and John C at an AD day) to really embed it into my driving. [And I still have to really work at it sometimes . . . mutter mutter :oops: it's down to really looking at and assessing the bend early enough - where it actually starts, camber, elevation changes, keeping a reserve . . .]
Your 'standard' is how you drive alone, not how you drive during a test.

RiK

Postby RiK » Mon Jan 07, 2019 9:52 pm

Twinkydrip wrote:I did have the added ingredient of an extra examiner sitting in the back who was examining my examiner.

I had the same on my Masters test, Robbie was due his annual QA check so I had Richard Gladman (head of driving standards for the IAM) sat in the back.

tbh it didn't really bother me, as I said to Richard before the test if having him in the back was going to affect my drive on a Masters level test then I had no right being there in the first place..
Richard Olpin: Bristol IAM: Training Officer, IAM: Masters (Dist), IMI National Observer, LOA. Gloucestershire Constabulary SC6240.

Twinkydrip

Postby Twinkydrip » Mon Jan 07, 2019 10:17 pm

I think 30 years ago i would have taken it more in my stride....but things definitely get harder the older you get. I was surprised at how much work i had to put in compared to what i could have done as a young woman.

RiK

Postby RiK » Mon Jan 07, 2019 11:00 pm

Twinkydrip wrote:I think 30 years ago i would have taken it more in my stride....but things definitely get harder the older you get. I was surprised at how much work i had to put in compared to what i could have done as a young woman.

Ahh don't get me wrong, I wasn't posting that as a criticism, I totally understand where you're coming from. I was specifically referring to my own case which was a Masters test where I really shouldn't have any excuses.

Note: *shouldn't*, though I must admit my rather tongue-in-cheek response when I was originally informed about it by the examiner was "yeah sure, and why don't we invite Andy Poulton along too and make a proper party of it?"
Richard Olpin: Bristol IAM: Training Officer, IAM: Masters (Dist), IMI National Observer, LOA. Gloucestershire Constabulary SC6240.

exportmanuk

Postby exportmanuk » Tue Jan 08, 2019 2:06 pm

Hi you could consider becoming an observer that needs you to keep/improve on your skill set and help maintain the standard
Andrew Melton
Manchester 500

Twinkydrip

Postby Twinkydrip » Tue Jan 08, 2019 3:01 pm

Well one of my observers suggested i could do that. Trouble is I work weekends and dont think i would have the time.

Return to “Introductions”