New Members.

A good place to post when you join - it is a good idea to post here first so that people know something about you, and you will get a nice welcome.
waremark

Re: New Members.

Postby waremark » Sun Jan 22, 2023 10:56 pm

Horse wrote:Yes, I agree with that approach. The test requirements don't mean - hopefully - that nothing else can be covered.

But ... how much time and input does "how to be the best driver they can be" take? For some, it could probably be years?

Indeed so, for most of us. I imagine John talks about ways forward well beyond the Advanced Test for those who are interested. I fully agree with his approach.

It is quite some time since I had an Associate - I have only being doing Masters Mentoring. I like the fact that the Mentees are all keen to progress beyond the test.

PS I typed the above before John's next post. Again, I like what he has posted though I don't think I have tried to do that in the past.

GTR1400MAN

Postby GTR1400MAN » Sun Jan 22, 2023 11:50 pm

Horse wrote:
GTR1400MAN wrote:
.. avoid any training for test or telling associates "the examiner likes to see".

Errr ... really? That's what you do. From your link:
The Associates
... the goal being the IAM test

So, you must be training for what an examiner expects to see. As per the recent discussion here about Associates who don't want to ride up to the speed limit.

Sure the goal for the Associate is the IAM test but anything they are being coached to do must have everyday real benefit. What I meant originally was they shouldn't be being told to do things specifically for test. What we are trying to avoid is training for perceived examiner quirks, or over doing things just because they are on test. It's a fine line and maybe I'm not getting the point over. A good example is Aasociates being told to do excessive head movements (putting on a show).
Mike Roberts - Now riding a Triumph Explorer XRT. My username comes from my 50K miles on a Kawasaki 1400GTR, after many years on Hondas of various shapes and styles. - https://tinyurl.com/mikerobertsonyoutube

Horse

Postby Horse » Mon Jan 23, 2023 7:28 am

Some context for my previous post, about 'time'.

We had one particular trainee taking CBT (very basic skills, enoughto get on the road solo). Nominally / usually than can be completed and signed of in one day. However, at that training centre we did 2 hour sessions, so you would expect it to take longer.

This trainee? Almost a year!

But, along the way, we covered essentials such as 'getting your bike sorted so you can ride it' (mirrors, handlebars) and 'how to cross the road (couldn't assess gaps at junctions).
Your 'standard' is how you drive alone, not how you drive during a test.

jont-

Postby jont- » Mon Jan 23, 2023 9:26 am

Horse wrote:Some context for my previous post, about 'time'.

We had one particular trainee taking CBT (very basic skills, enoughto get on the road solo). Nominally / usually than can be completed and signed of in one day. However, at that training centre we did 2 hour sessions, so you would expect it to take longer.

This trainee? Almost a year!

But, along the way, we covered essentials such as 'getting your bike sorted so you can ride it' (mirrors, handlebars) and 'how to cross the road (couldn't assess gaps at junctions).

Is there not a point at which you think "perhaps riding isn't for this person"?

It frustrates me endlessly that too many folk reach the pinnacle of their driving career at the point they pass the test then have the rest of their lives to cause havoc for those that have to share the roads with them.

Horse

Postby Horse » Mon Jan 23, 2023 11:42 am

Yes, at several points.

For gaps at junctions, we'd sat for ages. So, on the way back I stopped in a car park. We walked back to the pavement and I asked "tell me when it's safe to cross". Got bored, strolled across the road. And back. We then had a session on deciding how big a gap was, and matching gaps from each side.

But, once CBT was achieved, they rattled through the rest of 'to test' (pre DAS) training and got a full licence.

Of course, it's best when someone makes the decision for themself. Like the one who wanted a C1 but couldn't physically hold it up.

Or the guy who planted himself in a flowerbed.

Surprisingly, some who have an awful start can go on to become very good!
Your 'standard' is how you drive alone, not how you drive during a test.

Return to “Introductions”