New Members.

A good place to post when you join - it is a good idea to post here first so that people know something about you, and you will get a nice welcome.
exportmanuk

Re: New Members.

Postby exportmanuk » Fri Jan 20, 2023 5:37 pm

Hi

Post covid we are still getting the signups but an increased number of riders who fail to keep to the arraignments or drop out totally. Not great if the Observer has ridden to the meeting point waited around for half an hour then rings the associate who says sorry not going out today is cold and or wet! Had one do that late summer on me and he wasn't even a Harley rider. People just don't seem to be able to commit
Andrew Melton
Manchester 500

Strangely Brown

Postby Strangely Brown » Fri Jan 20, 2023 5:52 pm

exportmanuk wrote:Hi
... an increased number of riders who fail to keep to the arraignments ...

Well, that's not really surprising, to be fair.

GTR1400MAN

Postby GTR1400MAN » Fri Jan 20, 2023 6:09 pm

exportmanuk wrote:Hi

Post covid we are still getting the signups but an increased number of riders who fail to keep to the arraignments or drop out totally. Not great if the Observer has ridden to the meeting point waited around for half an hour then rings the associate who says sorry not going out today is cold and or wet! Had one do that late summer on me and he wasn't even a Harley rider. People just don't seem to be able to commit

I always text or WhatsApp them the night before now.
Mike Roberts - Now riding a Triumph Explorer XRT. My username comes from my 50K miles on a Kawasaki 1400GTR, after many years on Hondas of various shapes and styles. - https://tinyurl.com/mikerobertsonyoutube

exportmanuk

Postby exportmanuk » Fri Jan 20, 2023 7:43 pm

Hi Mike

Generally we do the same and every associate is given a list of Observer phone numbers in addition to the people who contact them and do the organising, just in case they have an issue on the day and cant attend. Some seem to get up and think no I cant be @r$ed. We also have seen a large number who just don't respond and you think they have given up then they complain you have not contacted them for a month! On the plus side it meant that sometimes Observers got a Quality check they weren't expecting. Like to keep them on their toes :-)
Andrew Melton
Manchester 500

Horse

Postby Horse » Fri Jan 20, 2023 10:16 pm

exportmanuk wrote: Some seem to get up and think no I cant be @r$ed. We also have seen a large number who just don't respond and you think they have given up then they complain you have not contacted them for a month!

Do you have anything like a 'three strikes' policy in your T&Cs?
Your 'standard' is how you drive alone, not how you drive during a test.

GTR1400MAN

Postby GTR1400MAN » Sat Jan 21, 2023 8:32 am

Horse wrote:Do you have anything like a 'three strikes' policy in your T&Cs?

See page 22 here
https://suffolk-advanced-motorcyclists. ... y-2023.pdf

Also one to one allocation helps as you build up a relationship with the Associate.
Last edited by GTR1400MAN on Sat Jan 21, 2023 10:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mike Roberts - Now riding a Triumph Explorer XRT. My username comes from my 50K miles on a Kawasaki 1400GTR, after many years on Hondas of various shapes and styles. - https://tinyurl.com/mikerobertsonyoutube

Horse

Postby Horse » Sat Jan 21, 2023 10:23 am

GTR1400MAN wrote:
Horse wrote:Do you have anything like a 'three strikes' policy in your T&Cs?

See page 22 here
https://suffolk-advanced-motorcyclists. ... t-2022.pdf

Also one to one allocation helps as you build up a relationship with the Associate.

P22 from that link is Moto Techniks dealers

As you no doubt realise, from SAM and YouTubing etc, the great British public never cease to be entertaining
Your 'standard' is how you drive alone, not how you drive during a test.

GTR1400MAN

Postby GTR1400MAN » Sat Jan 21, 2023 10:29 am

Whoops, let's try again

https://suffolk-advanced-motorcyclists. ... y-2023.pdf

I've corrected the first attempt! :)

Triquet

Postby Triquet » Sat Jan 21, 2023 12:25 pm

As an ex-BSAC/PADI bloke (now retired due to age and high blood pressure) I enjoyed the diving article. Haven't been underwater for about 15 years last time in Hurghada, but that was for work, and a different story ....

RiK

Postby RiK » Sat Jan 21, 2023 12:54 pm

martine wrote:Yes Bristol Advanced Motorists committee are discussing how to encourage new Associates to join up. We have our next course starting next month but only have 6 people signed up as yet (which is some sort of record low I believe).

Damn, I blame the bloke who does the seminars..

Oh, wait...

martine wrote:I think post-covid there is still a reluctance to start something new especially if it means meeting strangers - and as previous post, I think driving is possibly less attractive than it was a few years ago - ever lower speed limits, fuel prices, ever more 'driving aids' etc.

Then again I may be wrong and later this year things may pick up again!

Let's hope so eh, though I fear we'll struggle to get back to our pre-covid hights of 25+ per course..
Richard Olpin: Bristol IAM: Training Officer, IAM: Masters (Dist), IMI National Observer, LOA. Gloucestershire Constabulary SC6240.

Return to “Introductions”