New Members.

A good place to post when you join - it is a good idea to post here first so that people know something about you, and you will get a nice welcome.
Ray Mott

Re: New Members.

Postby Ray Mott » Sat Jul 27, 2019 8:17 pm

Hi Horse, thanks for your message. I used to work in an LGV garage (have class 2 licence, cpc etc). Packed that in and now trying to work as a pro musician and teacher (Trumpet and Brass), being a music grad years ago. I passed my IAM test in the East Surrey group, back in February, gaining a 1st with all 1’s. Currently training to be an LO (taken a while due to work). May do masters, but more keen to get involved with driving days and hope to be invited to HPC, as and when.

Ray Mott

Postby Ray Mott » Sat Jul 27, 2019 8:18 pm

vanman wrote:Ray welcome found us then

Tom

Thanks Tom.

RiK

Postby RiK » Sat Jul 27, 2019 8:32 pm

Welcome guys, nice to have you on board :-)
Richard Olpin: Bristol IAM: Training Officer, IAM: Masters (Dist), IMI National Observer, LOA. Gloucestershire Constabulary SC6240.

Ray Mott

Postby Ray Mott » Sat Jul 27, 2019 8:46 pm

RiK wrote:Welcome guys, nice to have you on board :-)

Thanks Rik.

Pumafan

Postby Pumafan » Sat Jul 27, 2019 9:59 pm

Welcome, Ray. You'll have some fun with this bunch!

Ray Mott

Postby Ray Mott » Sun Jul 28, 2019 8:08 pm

Pumafan wrote:Welcome, Ray. You'll have some fun with this bunch!

Thanks

jcochrane
Location: Surrey-Kent borders and wherever good driving roads are.

Postby jcochrane » Mon Jul 29, 2019 12:01 am

Glad you made it here.

Horse

Postby Horse » Mon Jul 29, 2019 4:43 pm

There are members here who use music / advanced driving analogies. Apologies, I'm not one of them (I can drum a bit, but lose count if it involves anything more than 123 4, 123 4 ... ).

However, you may find parallels between the two types of tutoring, planning, setting targets & challenges, positive feedback etc. Let us know!
Your 'standard' is how you drive alone, not how you drive during a test.

Strangely Brown

Postby Strangely Brown » Mon Jul 29, 2019 5:01 pm

Horse wrote:There are members here who use music / advanced driving analogies. Apologies, I'm not one of them (I can drum a bit, but lose count if it involves anything more than 123 4, 123 4 ... ).

The music analogy is from the perspective of the viewer/listener. You can listen to two artists perform the same piece of music/song, with all the right notes, in the right order, and while they may both be technically "perfect", you will almost certainly prefer one over the other.

It is the same with two drivers, in identical cars, driving the same piece of road. They may both be capable of getting from one end to the other with technical "perfection" but you will almost certainly prefer one over the other.

The driver, like the musician, will always add a little something of themselves to the drive.

Who you are is how you drive.

Ray Mott

Postby Ray Mott » Tue Jul 30, 2019 6:27 pm

Not sure if you have seen the Azimo robot playing the Trumpet? - still not sure it is not someone in a costume - however if it is they are a marvellous mimic of playing without any expression at all. Technically it is in tune and metrically correct, but with no colour or personality at all.

Return to “Introductions”