Bristol newbie

A good place to post when you join - it is a good idea to post here first so that people know something about you, and you will get a nice welcome.
Cloggie

Bristol newbie

Postby Cloggie » Fri Jun 08, 2018 6:56 pm

Martine encouraged me to write a few words of introduction so here goes. I did my IAM Advanced Driving test nearly a decade ago. I have only in the last year started really attending local events (Bristol). In particular Reg Local and a driving day in the Mendips reminded me how much I enjoy cars and driving. For some time I had been planning to go along to a three-in-a-car and having done so, I now wish I had tried these sooner. I am now doing the further training course with a view to become an Observer myself.

I joined the Hub so I could sign up for the Brecon driving day (sorry I probably will not make it to the Shropshire one later this month). I still need to have a better look around on the various threads already available. I currently drive a BMW 320D with sport auto gearbox and would be interested in comparing notes on how to get the best out of that.

Gareth

Re: Bristol newbie

Postby Gareth » Fri Jun 08, 2018 8:04 pm

Hi, & welcome.
Cloggie wrote:with sport auto gearbox and would be interested in comparing notes on how to get the best out of that.

Isn't it more about how you want to drive?

If it were me, I'd be using 'D' for boring situations and, very likely, manually selecting gears as much as possible everywhere else.
there is only the road, nothing but the road ...

jcochrane
Location: Surrey-Kent borders and wherever good driving roads are.

Postby jcochrane » Fri Jun 08, 2018 10:06 pm

Welcome, look forward to meeting you on the Bristol Day.

I'm with Gareth in the use of an auto box.

Horse

Postby Horse » Sat Jun 09, 2018 7:51 am

Welcome!

I rarely drive autos, so specific advice thread would be interesting, please :)

[My late FiL had a Focus auto, which defaulted to overdrive on - so I used to switch it off to change 'down' for drive through corners]
Your 'standard' is how you drive alone, not how you drive during a test.

GTR1400MAN

Postby GTR1400MAN » Sat Jun 09, 2018 8:22 am

Welcome.

Is the BMW a true auto or a dual clutch?
Mike Roberts - Now riding a Triumph Explorer XRT. My username comes from my 50K miles on a Kawasaki 1400GTR, after many years on Hondas of various shapes and styles. - https://tinyurl.com/mikerobertsonyoutube

RiK

Postby RiK » Sat Jun 09, 2018 8:28 am

Hiya Cloggie,

I'm Rich, an LO from Bristol group and also responsible for our groups social media etc. Hopefully see you at a meeting or event soon and put faces to names.
Richard Olpin: Bristol IAM: Training Officer, IAM: Masters (Dist), IMI National Observer, LOA. Gloucestershire Constabulary SC6240.

M1ke H

Postby M1ke H » Sat Jun 09, 2018 9:42 am

Hi Cloggie from yet another Bristol IAM-er :roll:

FWIW I'm also with Gareth in the use of an auto box, which is how I drive my partner's GTi having a DSG box. Drives her potty (in both senses) :D

Cloggie

Postby Cloggie » Sat Jun 09, 2018 7:01 pm

Thank you for all the replies. As suggested by Horse, I will start a new thread - under advanced driving – cars – on use of these auto gearboxes.

Return to “Introductions”