Greetings

A good place to post when you join - it is a good idea to post here first so that people know something about you, and you will get a nice welcome.
Another Bill

Greetings

Postby Another Bill » Mon Jan 23, 2023 11:55 pm

I’ve been following these forums for a couple of years. Always impressive, a lot of sense spoken, and always ever-so-politely expressed. If I ever decide to contribute, I will clearly need to be on very best behaviour.

Passed my IAM in 2018. Gaining an advanced qualification had been on my wish list since getting my licence aged 17 in 1974, but only got around to it after taking early retirement from full time work. What a shame I didn’t do it in my earlier years.

One curious legacy from IAM course: I spent much of that time in 2018 practising my commentary - radio always off and babbling away to myself, as well as any unfortunate passengers, on every journey. Trouble is, I’ve never really reverted. Whether alone or with passengers I still babble constantly about every aspect of the drive, though probably less coherently. And now I can’t stand having the radio on when driving as it disrupts my babbling. Good thing, bad thing, who knows? Other half has come to accept it, she even enjoys pointing out flaws, like traffic signs I might have failed to mention.

Keep it up folks, you’re a great source of encouragement.

Horse

Re: Greetings

Postby Horse » Tue Jan 24, 2023 7:26 am

Good morning!
Your 'standard' is how you drive alone, not how you drive during a test.

Gareth

Postby Gareth » Tue Jan 24, 2023 8:27 am

Welcome.

Another Bill wrote:I spent much of that time in 2018 practising my commentary - radio always off and babbling away to myself, as well as any unfortunate passengers, on every journey.

Have you thought about what or when you are saying?

I know that sounds immediately weird but ... you might be saying the kinds of things you think an examiner might want to hear, to demonstrate you've seen potential hazards and have a plan to deal with them, or you might be doing a commentary to keep your focus (which is especially helpful when tired), or maybe something else.

I have often suggested the most interesting commentary is when the driver imagines the passenger used to be an enthusiastic driver but their eyesight has deteriorated to the point they can no longer drive, just the sort of person who'd be a really bad passenger at the best of times, pointing out what you'd missed, white knuckles gripping the door handle, and so on. I think they'd like to know well in advance what you've seen and what you'll be doing about it, so that they're not caught unawares.

It's also pretty cool when you mention something you expect to happen, when there's scant evidence to suggest it, but then it does anyway!

I think the worst is when the commentary mentions things in the past, or when it is self-congratulatory in nature.
there is only the road, nothing but the road ...

Another Bill

Postby Another Bill » Tue Jan 24, 2023 9:33 am

There’s a risk of all these things. A lot of comments are probably not of much benefit to passengers, being aimed at an imaginary examiner. A habit of mine is verbally confirming speed reduction to a change in limit as I pass the terminal sign. If it’s a slight reduction, such as 40 to 30 that can be achieved without brakes, I’ll mention that. Or if brakes are judged better to alert following traffic, or the reduction can’t be achieved by just easing off, I may make a small apology for resorting to the brake pedal. That may also cross the line into self-congratulatory.

In the main though, I’m probably aiming to explain my behaviour to passengers, real or imaginary. “I saw a flash of brake lights three cars in front, I’m easing off the throttle a smidgen til I find out the reason for the brake lights”.

I’d argue that commenting on each and every traffic sign is probably a good habit, if only because it keeps the driver alert to signage. And in my case, other half delights in telling me I’ve missed one but actually that’s good feedback.

Main problem during test was that I knew the test route quite well, and had many well-rehearsed commentaries regarding thte road’s features and signage. It would have been all too easy to comment on features before they became visible! In the end I struck lucky, plenty of real things to comment on, including a very convenient road maintenance vehicle that necessitated crossing a double white line. Confident comments then on the highway code rules, the need to cross the line, and the fact that conditions made it safe at that moment. Not much benefit on a normal drive, but a great opportunity on advanced test.

Strangely Brown

Postby Strangely Brown » Tue Jan 24, 2023 9:58 am

Gareth wrote:I think the worst is when the commentary mentions things in the past, or when it is self-congratulatory in nature.

Definitely that. If the car catches up with the commentary then you are either not planning far enough ahead... or driving too fast.

The biggest problem that most people have with commentary is that they try to emulate police drivers rather than just verbalising what they are actually thinking. It doesn't have to be fast or comprehensive to be effective and, as Gareth says, if you can make predictions that come true then you're about right.

ETA: Welcome, BTW.

hir

Postby hir » Tue Jan 24, 2023 7:51 pm

Congratulations on your success.

Commentary is an invaluable tool. I always run a continuous, silent, commentary in my head whenever driving. It means that my wife can sleep peacefully throughout the journey, which is nice.

If I ever have a “chatty” passenger I just silence their chat with constant interruptions along the lines of… “just hold on a minute I need to deal with this cyclist/pedestrian crossing/junction/roundabout/parked car etc etc etc “. Or just ignore everything they’re saying. No, you’re right, I’m not much fun to drive with! :D

jcochrane
Location: Surrey-Kent borders and wherever good driving roads are.

Postby jcochrane » Tue Jan 24, 2023 7:58 pm

Welcome to the forum. Good you have found it of interest.There are many very experienced drivers here.

We have been trying to get back to meeting up for drives together. I think "martine" slipped up on a recent ADHUB driving day by saying he might soon be organising one, probably based on South Wales. I would look forward to driving with you but please, please try not to do a commentary. I'm one of a few that would rather a driver totally commit the whole of their mind and focus to driving and not have part of the brain on vocalising.

Like hir I always run a continuous commentary in my head and often don't answer if spoken to. Don't mean to be rude, just my thing. I will often do a commentary from the passenger seat if instructing though.

Horse

Postby Horse » Tue Jan 24, 2023 8:09 pm

Another Bill wrote:I’d argue that commenting on each and every traffic sign is probably a good habit, if only because it keeps the driver alert to signage.

Do you know about the Japanese Bullet train drivers? They use a technique called 'point and calling' (although they'll have a Japanese language word for it ;) shisa kanko ).

It's 'multi-sensory' thing, and by pointing and calling e.g. a signal, uses more of the brain and means that it's far harder to ignore.

What you're doing is a simpler version, hopefully with similar benefits.

I used something like P&C when rider training for cornering, getting trainees lift their left hand off the bar at the first view of the next bend, hand up over their and point which way the bend ahead goes. Having indicated that, it starts the planning and implementation process.

Your 'standard' is how you drive alone, not how you drive during a test.

Another Bill

Postby Another Bill » Tue Jan 24, 2023 8:54 pm

Thanks all,

Interesting feedback re commentary driving. To put it in context though, I did describe my current commentary style as more of a babble and not always coherent, so hopefully not depriving me of too much concentration.

Wrt chatty passengers, these days I find it much better to have at least two, if not a whole car load. That way, I can completely ignore the lot of them, without spoiling their fun. They seem to like my silence anyway because, on the odd occasion that I decide to contribute, by the time I have formulated a sentence amongst all the distractions of driving, they’ll have moved onto a completely different topic.

waremark

Postby waremark » Tue Jan 24, 2023 11:35 pm

hir wrote:...No, you’re right, I’m not much fun to drive with! :D

Lies, all lies

Return to “Introductions”