Saying hello from a government mandated safe distance

A good place to post when you join - it is a good idea to post here first so that people know something about you, and you will get a nice welcome.
hray

Saying hello from a government mandated safe distance

Postby hray » Tue Jun 16, 2020 10:05 pm

Hello all!

My name's Hugh, I'm 23 and I'm a very newly qualified Local Observer with the Bristol group. In fact, I haven't had an associate yet, nor my IMI certificate... :shock:

As time at home continues, with good opportunities for a drive few and far between, I decided to take a look online for an AD forum - and landed here!

I've already spotted a few folks I know from the Bristol group, which is great to see! I've missed the monthly meetings and driving events. Life may stop me from doing what I want, but it certainly won't stop me from talking about it. :lol:

As to how I got started, after buying myself a car with just over 5x the horsepower of my previous motor(59bhp -> 300bhp), my previous thoughts that I could benefit from additional driving training were growing ever more frequent. My local group were (and still are!) running a promotion for younger drivers, so when I saw that I'd be refunded upon passing, I jumped straight at it.

From there, I really caught the bug. I went on to pass my advanced test with a F1RST, before jumping onto the group's own further advanced driving course, and then on to the process of becoming an Observer.

After saving a head-turning amount of money not commuting to work these last couple of months, I feel it's only fitting that I shake the piggy bank and continue and 'make progress' towards my Masters as soon as permits.

Hope to get to know many of you in due course,

Hugh
Last edited by hray on Tue Jun 16, 2020 10:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Hugh - Local Observer, Masters (Distinction)

kfae8959

Re: Saying hello from a government mandated safe distance

Postby kfae8959 » Tue Jun 16, 2020 10:12 pm

Welcome, Hugh. Tidy little motor, the Golf R - and as I understand it the Bristol group is well equipped with the expertise to help you make the most of it.

I look forward to our paths crossing somewhere along your driving journey.

David

akirk

Postby akirk » Tue Jun 16, 2020 10:57 pm

Welcome Hugh, though not a member of the local group I did my IAM course over 20 years ago! and for the last year I have been living in Bristol - so we may cross paths...
Alasdair

martine

Postby martine » Wed Jun 17, 2020 8:57 am

Hello Hugh and well done for signing up here!

Great to see your mature attitude and I just wish more young'uns would have the same. Please spread the word amongst your Bristol mates...although we're not actually doing much at the moment :roll:

Join in and you may want to look at Driving Days as in: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=967 - you'd be most welcome to attend (assuming it goes ahead!). To find out more about our Driving Days look at viewtopic.php?f=5&t=20
Martin - Bristol Advanced Motorists: IMI National Observer, Group Secretary, Masters (dist), DSA: ADI, Fleet, RoSPA (Dip)

Horse

Postby Horse » Wed Jun 17, 2020 12:52 pm

Good afternoon, and welcome!
Your 'standard' is how you drive alone, not how you drive during a test.

jcochrane
Location: Surrey-Kent borders and wherever good driving roads are.

Postby jcochrane » Wed Jun 17, 2020 2:52 pm

Welcome Hugh. I am also an owner of a 7.5 Golf R and am very pleased with it. It’s got just enough power to make it of interest but is at the low end of fun power. The version 8, possibly due out the end of next year, is said to have more power, not a lot more but every bit helps.
Look forward to meeting up and exchanging notes on the Golf.

M1ke H

Postby M1ke H » Wed Jun 17, 2020 6:20 pm

Hi Hugh, and welcome from another BAM-er.

Great to see you improving your skills through our Further Advanced Driving course to become an Observer and now looking towards Masters. Hope to catch up with you when our meetings are able to resume.

hray

Postby hray » Wed Jun 17, 2020 7:05 pm

jcochrane wrote:Welcome Hugh. I am also an owner of a 7.5 Golf R and am very pleased with it. It’s got just enough power to make it of interest but is at the low end of fun power. The version 8, possibly due out the end of next year, is said to have more power, not a lot more but every bit helps.
Look forward to meeting up and exchanging notes on the Golf.

I picked mine up on the 1st March 19, and have three years left on my PCP. Whilst the MK8 R will undoubtedly have more power, the front end of the current prototypes looks far too friendly, and the rear just looks like a T-Roc! Providing the cybersecurity industry doesn't crumble to pieces, I'm leaning towards my next car being a practical 5 door family car... like the C63 AMG or M3. :racing:

Nevertheless, I do love the car. It's a great step up from my 57 reg Polo, and the AWD handles the twisties beautifully.
Hugh - Local Observer, Masters (Distinction)

jcochrane
Location: Surrey-Kent borders and wherever good driving roads are.

Postby jcochrane » Thu Jun 18, 2020 4:07 pm

The AMG C63 is definitely a fun car to drive as is the AMG C62 (smaller engine twin turbo) but not so sure as to its suitability as a family car. Very expensive to run, eats rear tyres like hell. At least if you want to realise the cars potential. In some ways I like the M3s over the M5s but then they are just BMWs at the ned of the day and I am not sure on their fun for pound return. I did consider several BMWs, Audis, Mercs. Porsche's and even the Honda Civic R. but ended up with the Golf as it ticked the most boxes.
I can actually fit it into the garage and just manage to struggle out of the car. :lol:

Discov8

Postby Discov8 » Tue Jun 23, 2020 8:44 am

An alternative would be a BMW 330d or 335d Touring, both capable of good progress and for the performance return impressive mpg. A later Audi RS6 with the 4.0l V8 is also very practicable. Several years ago I had an early 4.2 RS6, ave 19mpg over 40k miles, great performance but outside normal maintenance when the bills come,they are large, very large.

Return to “Introductions”