A few more videos

Topics relating to Advanced Riding on bikes
GTR1400MAN

Re: A few more videos

Postby GTR1400MAN » Mon Jul 15, 2019 1:15 pm

I've uploaded the 3rd and final video to my series on roundabouts. There's a playlist on my channel that will play all three of them in order.

Mike Roberts - Now riding a Triumph Explorer XRT. My username comes from my 50K miles on a Kawasaki 1400GTR, after many years on Hondas of various shapes and styles. - https://tinyurl.com/mikerobertsonyoutube

GTR1400MAN

Postby GTR1400MAN » Sun Sep 08, 2019 1:28 pm

Filmed this morning. A demo ride / vlog on a sunny Sunday morning in Suffolk, taking in the forest of Rendlesham, on a journey from Melton to Orford. This is a straight copy from the camera, with no editing apart from the intro/outro. I lowered the camera one more notch for this ride, but I think it now shows too much screen (and shoulder when I look behind). Please leave some comments/feedback, both on the content and video quality/view.

Mike Roberts - Now riding a Triumph Explorer XRT. My username comes from my 50K miles on a Kawasaki 1400GTR, after many years on Hondas of various shapes and styles. - https://tinyurl.com/mikerobertsonyoutube

crr003

Postby crr003 » Mon Sep 09, 2019 12:44 pm

GTR1400MAN wrote:Filmed this morning. A demo ride / vlog on a sunny Sunday morning in Suffolk, taking in the forest of Rendlesham, on a journey from Melton to Orford. This is a straight copy from the camera, with no editing apart from the intro/outro. I lowered the camera one more notch for this ride, but I think it now shows too much screen (and shoulder when I look behind). Please leave some comments/feedback, both on the content and video quality/view.

Looks easy! ;)
Bit distracting with that plastic screen thingy distorting the view.
Nice straight-lining bit - the RoADAR FB examiners haven't seen it yet!

GTR1400MAN

Postby GTR1400MAN » Tue Sep 10, 2019 7:43 am

crr003 wrote:Looks easy! ;)

My eyes are 4-5 inches higher than the camera so see over the screen. What I may do in the next video I record (I already have another one I'm editing with the same setup) I'll try lowering screen. The trouble is you then get some turbulent wind noise.

I THINK the RoADAR FB examiners will be OK with the straight lining. :) It's using the view you have. Not jumping out to gain a view. The next video I'm editing also includes some use of all the road. The road has no centre line.

Horse

Postby Horse » Tue Sep 10, 2019 12:45 pm

What camera mount do you have - could it be at eye-level, or would the visor opening/mechanism get in the way?

Tried the 'parrot' mount? See Fig 2-1 Actually two cameras, different field of views, which looked over the screen of the Pan. The mount was screwed through a piece of body armour, with very large washers on the 'inside', then gaffer taped to the shoulder strap of a rusksack, with another layer of body armour on the inside.

Example images in 2-2 and Appendix A
Your 'standard' is how you drive alone, not how you drive during a test.

Horse

Postby Horse » Tue Sep 10, 2019 12:48 pm

Or you could use a rig like California Superbike School have used for on-bike video, showing the track and also the rider's actions:

https://www.southbayriders.com/forums/threads/162410/
Your 'standard' is how you drive alone, not how you drive during a test.

crr003

Postby crr003 » Tue Sep 10, 2019 1:15 pm

GTR1400MAN wrote:
crr003 wrote:Looks easy! ;)

My eyes are 4-5 inches higher than the camera so see over the screen. What I may do in the next video I record (I already have another one I'm editing with the same setup) I'll try lowering screen. The trouble is you then get some turbulent wind noise.

As a viewer it's just a bit distracting at say 5:49 or 6:11 with the oncoming vehicles, but then I'm probably looking in the wrong place!
GTR1400MAN wrote:I THINK the RoADAR FB examiners will be OK with the straight lining. :) It's using the view you have. Not jumping out to gain a view. The next video I'm editing also includes some use of all the road. The road has no centre line.

Interesting that they (the examiners) seem to be all over the place in terms of consistency. A bit concerning that one that sometimes examines for my Group stated he didn't even want to see straight lining........

GTR1400MAN

Postby GTR1400MAN » Wed Sep 11, 2019 9:10 am

Horse, currently the camera is mounted on the side of my helmet at chin bar height. It can't go any higher due to the visor mechanism (the Schubert has no side plates to reduce wind noise) and it can't go on top (like a Teletubby :) ) due to it being a flip helmet.

GTR1400MAN

Postby GTR1400MAN » Wed Sep 11, 2019 9:11 am

Here's part 2 of my recent ride around the Rendlesham forest area of Suffolk.

IcedKiwi

Postby IcedKiwi » Mon Sep 23, 2019 7:37 pm

Personally, I’d suggest that your intro is about 20 seconds too long and could be shortened to about 4-6 seconds. Most of the info is already included in titles etc so I know what I’m watching before it starts. It becomes even more noticeable when watching two videos back to back.
Maybe that’s just the millennial in me
- I think Reg Locals intros are a bit too long too and usually skip them.
Enjoyed them otherwise, but the distorted screen was a bit distracting as was often just where I wanted to be looking. Thanks for sharing.

Return to “Advanced Driving - Bikes”