First accident...

Anything that doesn't fit elsewhere - doesn't have to be AD related.
Rolyan

Re: First accident...

Postby Rolyan » Thu Oct 18, 2018 12:24 pm

I was browsing.

Was this ever resolved, or is the 'interesting case of stories substantially altered' still ongoing?

TheInsanity1234

Postby TheInsanity1234 » Thu Oct 18, 2018 11:11 pm

Nope! Still ongoing!

The passenger is now claiming the taxi driver hit a post AFTER I hit him, when he was moving the taxi off the road.

This would be a significant point in my favour regarding the damage to the front bumper, so my solictors are making enquiries about that.

So far, it seems like I'll be off to court, no mention of settling outside of court.

I'm already resigned to my fate, and if my insurers still have to pay out compensation then I'll take it on the chin and just be happy it wasn't worse, and chalk it up to experience.

TheInsanity1234

Postby TheInsanity1234 » Mon Feb 18, 2019 10:07 pm

There was an update of sorts a month or so ago. My solicitor emailed me a court date, 5th of June. The solicitors hope it won't go to court, but I've yet to hear anything otherwise.

I apologise for my lengthy lack of presence on these forums, life has been very chaotic, and unfortunately I became yet another point in crash statistics for young drivers, and managed to have another crash! I shall not divulge too much detail as it is the subject of an ongoing police investigation, partly into the crash itself and the cause, and partly into the assault on me that occurred after the accident by the other driver, which has impacted on me quite a lot.

Suffice to say, it has had a very profound effect on my confidence as a driver, and it has become more of a chore than a pleasure to drive, due to the anxieties that I now have to manage. Put simply, I drive like a granny. :mrgreen:

In a weird roundabout way, the first accident did me a favour in making me install a dashcam, as the police now have honest and frank evidence of the circumstances leading to the accident, and a few clips with audio supporting my assault allegation.

I do hope to regain my ability to enjoy driving, and I can foresee Advanced Driving being a part of that process, but for now I shall be putting driving pleasure on the back burner whilst I complete the next two years or so of my life. This is because they will be bloody busy - I will be graduating from my degree this summer (ended up doing a BSc) and I aim to be enrolled in a teacher training course in September, which will then lead into a busy (but hopefully rewarding) teaching career.

martine

Postby martine » Tue Feb 19, 2019 9:16 am

Thanks for being so honest. Driving is a continual learning process.

Hope you get a good BSc result and good luck with your teaching career...keep us posted!
Martin - Bristol IAM: IMI National Observer, Group Secretary, Masters (dist), DSA: ADI, Fleet, RoSPA (Dip)

Triquet

Postby Triquet » Thu Feb 21, 2019 8:11 pm

That I think is sheer rotten luck. Don't kick yourself about too much, and try and get in some relaxed "driving only" drives. On the long distance stuff, leave yourself hods of time and don't rush. Don't granny drive on DCs or Motorways, that way lies madness.

TheInsanity1234

Postby TheInsanity1234 » Fri Mar 01, 2019 3:29 pm

martine wrote:Thanks for being so honest. Driving is a continual learning process.

Hope you get a good BSc result and good luck with your teaching career...keep us posted!

Well, no point lying about these things, I have an awful memory and I'd be bound to catch myself out :lol: It's easier to just be honest and let the consequences of the truth take place! My partner also tells me I'm the world's worst liar as I invariably end up fabricating a story of such complexity and detail that it ends up sounding 'too true' if that makes sense! :mrgreen:

Triquet wrote:That I think is sheer rotten luck. Don't kick yourself about too much, and try and get in some relaxed "driving only" drives. On the long distance stuff, leave yourself hods of time and don't rush. Don't granny drive on DCs or Motorways, that way lies madness.

In the time since the accident, I've become more confident at driving again, but I still find it hard to suppress the rising sense of panic that invariably seems to happen when someone's following a bit too closely behind now. I will say however, I've noticed my perception of how fast I'm going has taken quite a shift towards over-estimation. Before I used to be pretty spot on in terms of guessing how fast I was going without looking at the speedometer, but now I often will accelerate up to a comfortable speed for the road I'm on, and then look down only to find I'm doing an indicated 5 mph below my estimation (which when you factor in speedometer error is probably a total of 5-10 mph difference). It's a very strange change that's resulted in me probably annoying other drivers more than intended.

Return to “General Chat”