20 mph limits - safer?

Articles of interest to the AD community, currently in the news.
crr003

Re: 20 mph limits - safer?

Postby crr003 » Mon Dec 18, 2017 4:40 pm

Having a little google:

http://www.bristol20mph.co.uk/get-involved/

"Become a Pace Car

Email 20mph@bristol.gov.uk for a free 20mph A Little Bit Slower. A Whole Lot Better car sticker to put in your car window.

By driving at 20mph and displaying the car sticker in your rear windscreen, you will act as a pace car. When people are driving behind you they will see the sticker and understand why you are driving at 20mph."

Wow. Martin/Bristolians - does this actually happen? I wonder how much the stickers cost.

AndyP

Postby AndyP » Mon Dec 18, 2017 4:43 pm

I assumed (based upon local experience) that there would be humps or chicanes to reinforce the 20s[quote]

Sorry Angus I was wrong, but down here we call them potholes, trenches, sunken manholes, sunken drain covers, poor road repairs. :twisted:

:lol: :lol:
It is not WHAT you drive, BUT:-- the WAY that you drive it.
It is not HOW fast you drive, BUT:-- HOW you drive fast.

Cheers Andy

martine

Postby martine » Mon Dec 18, 2017 4:55 pm

exportmanuk wrote:...Would anyone know if the actual average speeds have increased or decreased since the implementation?

I don't know about the 'BANES' area (Bath and North East Somerset) but Mr. Toad and I are on the consultation panel for the Bristol City Council 20 implementation. The areas have been monitored for up to 3 years now and a report is imminent...ahem, it was imminent in the Summer...and is even more 'imminent' now...we'll see.
Martin - Bristol IAM: IMI National Observer and Group Secretary, DSA: ADI, Fleet, RoSPA (Dip)

martine

Postby martine » Mon Dec 18, 2017 4:56 pm

crr003 wrote:Wow. Martin/Bristolians - does this actually happen? I wonder how much the stickers cost.

I've never seen one.
Martin - Bristol IAM: IMI National Observer and Group Secretary, DSA: ADI, Fleet, RoSPA (Dip)

martine

Postby martine » Mon Dec 18, 2017 5:08 pm

My 'friend' Rod King of '20s plenty' campaign group has posted this link in response to the Bath council report...

https://medium.com/@lewisspurgin/20mph-zones-are-not-causing-more-deaths-37d41e30e297

Seems valid criticism but even if the 20 zones show no KSI change, itis significant considering they are often championed by Rod (and others) as being good for road safety.

The Bristol 20 scheme cost a tidy £2.3m to implement...that's a lot of money for potentially no benefit to road safety. In fairness they claim that lower speeds encourage more cycling and pedestrians but I'm not convinced a tiny decrease in average speeds has this effect. We'll see what their report says and if it can be trusted.

Return to “In The News”