Driving Test Changes

Articles of interest to the AD community, currently in the news.
User avatar
akirk
Posts: 1408
Joined: Sun Sep 27, 2015 6:58 pm
Location: Cotswolds

Re: Driving Test Changes

Postby akirk » Mon May 01, 2017 9:18 pm

presumably the examiner will know all cars that turn up so that they know the right answer and whether or not the action can take place on that car... not all cars have an ability to wash / wipe the rear windscreen (unless you are supposed to hop out with a bucket!)

alasdair

User avatar
M1ke H
Posts: 52
Joined: Wed Sep 30, 2015 9:53 pm
Location: Cotswolds / Torbay

Re: Driving Test Changes

Postby M1ke H » Sun May 07, 2017 8:51 pm

Slightly off topic, but did anyone else hear about the driving test in Birmingham that was halted after police seized the instructor's car for no insurance and mot?

Full story here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-bi ... m-39835197

User avatar
akirk
Posts: 1408
Joined: Sun Sep 27, 2015 6:58 pm
Location: Cotswolds

Re: Driving Test Changes

Postby akirk » Sun May 07, 2017 9:40 pm

yes - interesting situation, esp. as the comment was made the that student would have passed - I wonder what costs the instructor will be facing for messing that one up?!

Alasdair

User avatar
Horse
Posts: 1734
Joined: Mon Sep 28, 2015 9:20 am

Re: Driving Test Changes

Postby Horse » Mon May 08, 2017 11:21 am

M1ke H wrote:Slightly off topic, but did anyone else hear about the driving test in Birmingham that was halted after police seized the instructor's car for no insurance and mot?


Is it the case that the driver is legally responsible for these? I wonder whether the candidate was done, or just the instructor?
My own views. For better or worse :)

User avatar
Horse
Posts: 1734
Joined: Mon Sep 28, 2015 9:20 am

Re: Driving Test Changes

Postby Horse » Mon May 08, 2017 11:23 am

jont- wrote:can the examiner ask a candidate to do something illegal (ie operate the fog lights when it's not foggy) while driving along?


Only when the test vehicle is a lowered Corsa with the stereo set to max . . .
My own views. For better or worse :)

User avatar
GTR1400MAN
Posts: 1169
Joined: Fri Apr 29, 2016 12:23 pm

Re: Driving Test Changes

Postby GTR1400MAN » Mon May 08, 2017 12:41 pm

Horse wrote:Is it the case that the driver is legally responsible for these? I wonder whether the candidate was done, or just the instructor?

According to the police twitter comments they felt sorry for the candidate and only went after the ADI who was responsible.

Of course the grammar police should also have been involed for that awful Tweet by the police! ;)
Mike Roberts

User avatar
angus
Posts: 230
Joined: Mon Sep 28, 2015 1:28 pm
Location: Colchester - Oldest Town, oldest roads

Re: Driving Test Changes

Postby angus » Mon May 08, 2017 2:30 pm

Horse wrote:
jont- wrote:can the examiner ask a candidate to do something illegal (ie operate the fog lights when it's not foggy) while driving along?


Only when the test vehicle is a lowered Corsa with the stereo set to max . . .


Or the driver is over 80 :evil:

User avatar
angus
Posts: 230
Joined: Mon Sep 28, 2015 1:28 pm
Location: Colchester - Oldest Town, oldest roads

Re: Driving Test Changes

Postby angus » Mon May 08, 2017 2:33 pm

Horse wrote:
M1ke H wrote:Slightly off topic, but did anyone else hear about the driving test in Birmingham that was halted after police seized the instructor's car for no insurance and mot?


Is it the case that the driver is legally responsible for these? I wonder whether the candidate was done, or just the instructor?


Is it the driver or the person responsible - in this case the examiner? Now we know why IAM examiners ask to see insurance

crr003
Posts: 445
Joined: Fri Oct 02, 2015 5:32 pm

Re: Driving Test Changes

Postby crr003 » Mon May 08, 2017 3:08 pm

angus wrote:
Horse wrote:
M1ke H wrote:Slightly off topic, but did anyone else hear about the driving test in Birmingham that was halted after police seized the instructor's car for no insurance and mot?


Is it the case that the driver is legally responsible for these? I wonder whether the candidate was done, or just the instructor?


Is it the driver or the person responsible - in this case the examiner? Now we know why IAM examiners ask to see insurance

It's nothing to do with the Examiner. The candidate signs a declaration saying the vehicle is insured (cf IAM - no IAM Examiner should be asking to see docs either.)

Pontoneer
Posts: 55
Joined: Sat Jul 15, 2017 9:48 am

Re: Driving Test Changes

Postby Pontoneer » Mon Aug 14, 2017 1:31 am

crr003 wrote:
angus wrote:
Horse wrote:
M1ke H wrote:Slightly off topic, but did anyone else hear about the driving test in Birmingham that was halted after police seized the instructor's car for no insurance and mot?


Is it the case that the driver is legally responsible for these? I wonder whether the candidate was done, or just the instructor?


Is it the driver or the person responsible - in this case the examiner? Now we know why IAM examiners ask to see insurance

It's nothing to do with the Examiner. The candidate signs a declaration saying the vehicle is insured (cf IAM - no IAM Examiner should be asking to see docs either.)


He did when I sat mine , and the letter advising me of the test appointment told me to take licence , insurance and MOT as these would be checked .

These days , of course , any examiner could check the legal status of a vehicle on a smartphone before commencing a test .


Return to “In The News”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests