Any ROSPA test tips

Topics relating to Advanced Driving in cars
Smeeagain

Any ROSPA test tips

Postby Smeeagain » Mon Aug 22, 2016 1:13 pm

As you may have seen from my other posts, I have my ROSPA test coming up in a couple of weeks. Aside of the fact that I clearly have to drive as well as I can,and consistently, throughout the test, within the laws, and know my signs, road craft, etc etc etc, does anyone have any specific/general tips that you know the examiners like ,or even dislike?

So here is an example of something I thought of last night as a starter for ten. If realise I may have made a mistake and/or could have handled something better, should I mention that at a relevant point during my commentary, thus indicating self awareness and self improvement, and the ability to acknowledge one's errors, or keep schtum and not say a word and discuss it as and when it comes up in the conversation at the end of the test?

Let me know what you think on that one and/or anything else that ticks the examiners boxes.

Thanks
Smee

Mr Cholmondeley-Warner

Re: Any ROSPA test tips

Postby Mr Cholmondeley-Warner » Mon Aug 22, 2016 1:40 pm

Mention it, move on to the next thing. Examiner will have noticed anyway, mentioning it and being aware of it shows you know what you should have done, move on, don't dwell on it or it'll spoil a further portion of your drive.

Drive well, don't fanny about, listen to the examiner, don't be so wrapped up in commentating you miss hints he or she might be giving you. They are used to being driven progressively and well. They're not generally interested in lots of flannel.

Your tutor should have told you any salient points about the local examiner's preferences. Some only like a particular steering method, or are very keen on certain bits of HC or RC knowledge, which you should have studied. If you can get knowledge into your commentary it saves you answering questions at the end. If you're going to quote HC rules, try and get them right. Rule 129 is a favourite - everyone knows there are some exceptions, and tries to quote the rule, but mostly get the exceptions wrong, thus completely defeating the object. Don't describe it as "... means I can't overtake" ;)

Try and be relaxed. You'll drive better.

Good luck :)
Nick

Smeeagain

Postby Smeeagain » Mon Aug 22, 2016 2:40 pm

That's great, really useful, thank you. And yes I got rule 129 :)

Mr Cholmondeley-Warner

Postby Mr Cholmondeley-Warner » Mon Aug 22, 2016 2:49 pm

Perceptions can be completely different from opposite sides of the car. A situation from some years ago on the first occasion I drove a well-known driving coach.

We left his cul-de-sac, turned left onto a main road, then drove for some miles before he asked me to stop for a quick chat.

Him: On a scale of 1 to 10, how much are you enjoying this?
Me: Well, about a 3, I suppose :(
Him: Well, I'm enjoying it! I knew as soon as we turned left out of my road, when you looked at the traffic and blended into a gap without stopping, that I was going to enjoy it ...
Me: Really?

I thought I was doing rubbish because I was so nervous, this being the first time I'd driven him, so that I dwelt on all my faults, and not the strengths. He was looking at everything and not dwelling on one part to the exclusion of any other.
Nick

sussex2

Postby sussex2 » Mon Aug 22, 2016 2:56 pm

An examiner once said to me 'I knew you would be good as you didn't get into the car, you put it on as if it were an old coat you were used to'.

sussex2

Postby sussex2 » Mon Aug 22, 2016 3:03 pm

Smeeagain wrote:As you may have seen from my other posts, I have my ROSPA test coming up in a couple of weeks. Aside of the fact that I clearly have to drive as well as I can,and consistently, throughout the test, within the laws, and know my signs, road craft, etc etc etc, does anyone have any specific/general tips that you know the examiners like ,or even dislike?

So here is an example of something I thought of last night as a starter for ten. If realise I may have made a mistake and/or could have handled something better, should I mention that at a relevant point during my commentary, thus indicating self awareness and self improvement, and the ability to acknowledge one's errors, or keep schtum and not say a word and discuss it as and when it comes up in the conversation at the end of the test?

Let me know what you think on that one and/or anything else that ticks the examiners boxes.

Thanks
Smee

Remember what you are doing and that is taking a test because you have worked hard and are interested; those things make you streets ahead of the average bod and you are already a success.
I don't mean that in a snotty or snobby way but you must be thinking every time you drive about your thoughts and actions. I doubt you do anything automatically; this will make you streets ahead of the vast majority of the people around you.
I ask you to drive, for a few minutes, in the manner you see most people drive and leave everything to reaction and your handling of the vehicle like a pigs ear - go on try it and see how long you last; then relax and don't be too hard on yourself but keep chatting away and (gently) criticise yourself.

martine

Postby martine » Mon Aug 22, 2016 3:57 pm

Mr Cholmondeley-Warner wrote:...don't fanny about...

Love it...sounds better than 'make good, safe, progress' - one to add to my list of comments.

I think your reference in a later post to 'the well known driving coach' explaining he was enjoying your drive...I am conscious that I don't praise or pass on my enjoyment enough when sitting next to someone. It's too easy as an Observer to criticise and forget to mention the good stuff.

Before the wheels move, I suggest my associates mention 'The System' and at least run through the phases...it's a lot easier to do this when stationary and circumvents the examiner asking.

A lot of examiners like to ask 'how do you think that went' at the end of the drive. It's your chance to pick out 1 or 2 things that could have gone better and shows you are aware of any issues and open to further development...all very healthy of course.

Unless you are very comfortable doing commentary, it might be best to limit the length and make sure doing it doesn't have adverse effects like lack of progress or talking about stuff that's passed the car.

Any test is a chance to 'show-off' your skills (in a nice way) - enjoy it if you can!
Martin - Bristol Advanced Motorists: IMI National Observer, Group Secretary, Masters (dist), DSA: ADI, Fleet, RoSPA (Dip)

sussex2

Postby sussex2 » Mon Aug 22, 2016 4:11 pm

'don't fanny about'
Which is exactly what an instructor in the Royal Navy told me many moons ago; he also added 'Do something, anything, just do something'
At the time my thoughts on what I should do (to him) were definitely immoral, and, quite possibly illegal.
It did spur me on though and how long it took him to recover from the swift kick he got as I passed I'm not sure :)

Strangely Brown

Postby Strangely Brown » Mon Aug 22, 2016 5:07 pm

Tips?

Drive normally. Exactly the way that you do every day. Do NOT attempt to put on a show or drive any differently just because it is a test. The intention should be to test your base level of driving against the standard, not to jump through hoops in order to collect a badge. Basically, just relax, get on with it and the result will be whatever it will be.

If you can pass the test at the top grade "without trying" then you can be rightly proud because you will know that really is how you drive.

Smeeagain

Postby Smeeagain » Mon Aug 22, 2016 6:52 pm

Many thanks indeed. One respondent mentioned the examiner's preferences. Apparently one of his favourites is to ask 'what was the last road sign that we passed' .........that's not something you can really test yourself on as you will look at every sign and you can't catch yourself out as such i.e. you can't really go back and check every sign.

But....... next time you're a passenger in a car, try asking the driver if they can tell you the last sign that they passed........ or get a passenger to ask you randomly at some point on your journey .....
Last edited by Smeeagain on Mon Aug 22, 2016 7:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Advanced Driving - Cars”