Paying above list price for a car.

Anything that doesn't fit elsewhere - doesn't have to be AD related.
WhoseGeneration

Paying above list price for a car.

Postby WhoseGeneration » Wed Aug 10, 2016 9:18 pm

Hmm, I want a Ford Focus RS, there's a year waiting list but some are currently available at a premium from official Ford dealers and independents.
So, to pay an excess or not?
I have offered below asking to two Ford dealers, yet to have a reply.

chriskay

Re: Paying above list price for a car.

Postby chriskay » Wed Aug 10, 2016 11:11 pm

Just be glad you're not in the market for a McLaren.
Carpe diem

Silk

Postby Silk » Thu Aug 11, 2016 10:32 am

WhoseGeneration wrote:Hmm, I want a Ford Focus RS, there's a year waiting list but some are currently available at a premium from official Ford dealers and independents.

I'd never pay asking price, let alone more. Manufacturers are well known for creating artificial "shortages" in order to keep the price high for both new and used cars. You can be part of the problem, or go elsewhere. Choice is yours.

sussex2

Postby sussex2 » Thu Aug 11, 2016 11:18 am

Honestly, don't be daft and please never pay above asking price.
That said how you spend your money is your business and if it is what you want and can afford it then off you go.

Horse

Postby Horse » Thu Aug 11, 2016 11:26 am

WhoseGeneration wrote: I want a Ford Focus RS, . . . some are currently available at a premium

If it'll make you happy, buy one.

WhoseGeneration wrote: So, to pay an excess or not?
I have offered below asking

But you've just answered your own question!
Your 'standard' is how you drive alone, not how you drive during a test.

IcedKiwi

Postby IcedKiwi » Thu Aug 11, 2016 11:29 am

sussex2 wrote:Honestly, don't be daft and please never pay above asking price

Never pay above asking or never pay above list?
It's worth whatever someone will pay for it, and everyone has a different idea of value. I guess in this situation you're paying to jump the queue, there's not a limited supply and you could just wait a year and get one for list?

waremark

Postby waremark » Thu Aug 11, 2016 12:16 pm

WhoseGeneration wrote:Hmm, I want a Ford Focus RS, there's a year waiting list but some are currently available at a premium from official Ford dealers and independents.

I thought my son was quite sensible to buy one (and he has a history of buying a car for full list and selling at a profit after enjoying it for a while).

I would be surprised if you get one below list any time in the near future. At a list price of about £35k with toys it still looks like good value against anything with the same capability.

If you look at previous generations of the top Focus they have held their value particularly well. Personally, I expect that this one will too, and that if you buy one for full list (or very slightly above) the percent depreciation you will suffer over your ownership of the car will be no worse and possibly better than you would suffer on a regular car bought at a substantial discount to list. I gather they have said they will make 18,000, and if they stick to a limited number that will be very good for long term values.

I am interested to know what it would replace and what you would consider as alternatives. Personally, and relevant to your username, I am not convinced that it is a car for my generation - I once had an Evo 6 and in many ways this is an improved execution of a similar car, but nowadays I think I value looks, charm, and quality of finishes over outright capability, and would be more likely to choose a Golf R, Audi S3 or M2.

martine

Postby martine » Thu Aug 11, 2016 1:02 pm

Nice car getting rave reviews.

There are some pre-reg ones available for no more than list but obviously you may have to compromise on spec.
Martin - Bristol Advanced Motorists: IMI National Observer, Group Secretary, Masters (dist), DSA: ADI, Fleet, RoSPA (Dip)

M1ke H

Postby M1ke H » Thu Aug 11, 2016 2:27 pm

waremark wrote:I am interested to know what it would replace and what you would consider as alternatives. Personally, and relevant to your username, I am not convinced that it is a car for my generation - I once had an Evo 6 and in many ways this is an improved execution of a similar car, but nowadays I think I value looks, charm, and quality of finishes over outright capability, and would be more likely to choose a Golf R, Audi S3 or M2.

Interesting comment and echoes my own thoughts when I was struggling to know what to replace my beloved SEAT Leon Cupra with a couple of years ago. As you suggest, looks, quality (and performance of course) coupled with it being a nice place to be, took me down the S3 route.

But to the OP's question - no, I wouldn't, not for a standard production road car. A limited edition model or something with a unique offering *might* make me think twice, if financially viable, but as a generalisation, 'No' :)

akirk

Postby akirk » Thu Aug 11, 2016 4:12 pm

I think there is some good advice above - esp. from waremark...
the key decider is:
- car above list because it will keep going up in price
- car above list because there is an initial shortage v. demand and then it will crash down again

I suspect the Ford is nearer the second (where some Porsches / Ferraris / etc. are the first), and therefore I would be cautious - and potentially buy one, but with a short-term approach to reselling it and keeping a constant eye on values - I can't see why you couldn't have it for 6 months - a year and sell for very little less than paid...

Alasdair

Return to “General Chat”