'Safe driving' Apps - Insurance company

Anything that doesn't fit elsewhere - doesn't have to be AD related.
WhoseGeneration

Re: 'Safe driving' Apps - Insurance company

Postby WhoseGeneration » Wed Jul 13, 2016 7:49 pm

jont- wrote:
WhoseGeneration wrote:Presumably, capable drivers are not those who decide the parameters.
It's, again, dumbing down, lcd and no interest in raising standards.

It would certainly be interesting to see how it scored, say an IAM masters or Rospa gold drive.

Indeed, or Playtent obtaining his Police qualification.
I've been practising something he said, which would probably appear as a negative on these "apps".
Why oh why are we becoming slaves to this technology?

Strangely Brown

Postby Strangely Brown » Wed Jul 13, 2016 8:05 pm

What's this "we", Kimosabe? :)

WhoseGeneration

Postby WhoseGeneration » Wed Jul 13, 2016 8:11 pm

Strangely Brown wrote:What's this "we", Kimosabe? :)

Ok, tell me how you avoid the influence of modern digital technology in your life.
Here means you accept a little bit, no?

waremark

Postby waremark » Thu Jul 14, 2016 12:45 am

jont- wrote:
WhoseGeneration wrote:Presumably, capable drivers are not those who decide the parameters.
It's, again, dumbing down, lcd and no interest in raising standards.

It would certainly be interesting to see how it scored, say an IAM masters or Rospa gold drive.

I think we know - badly (based on the experience of a couple of members of other fora). But maybe the scoring will be refined over time. Since the insurers promote these systems I presume they correlate to improved loss ratios. I guess this is down to the effect on the driver of knowing their driving is being monitored - although that would not apply to the schemes where you just have to run an app for a short time.

Strangely Brown

Postby Strangely Brown » Thu Jul 14, 2016 6:05 am

WhoseGeneration wrote:
Strangely Brown wrote:What's this "we", Kimosabe? :)

Ok, tell me how you avoid the influence of modern digital technology in your life.
Here means you accept a little bit, no?

Who said I was avoiding the influence? I just not becoming a slave to it. I drive in a manner that is safe and appropriate and I don't give a second thought to how it might score on an app or black-box. In other areas I make use of digital technology where I feel it is of a benefit to me. e.g. sometimes satnav, sometimes paper map, sometimes both.

This is the same old story. Insurance companies are making important that which can be measured. The fact that apps and boxes have no way whatsoever of knowing whether you are driving safely seems to have escaped them.

jont- wrote:It would certainly be interesting to see how it scored, say an IAM masters or Rospa gold drive.

I have absolutely no intention of downloading or registering with any of the apps but if anyone with one would like me to repeat my last RoSPA refresher - same car, same route, same drive - then I would be more than happy to play along.

JohnP

Postby JohnP » Tue Aug 09, 2016 3:42 pm

Being monitored by a black box for harsh braking will put people off braking hard to avoid going over traffic lights just changed to red. The box will see the braking but not going through the red light.

akirk

Postby akirk » Tue Aug 09, 2016 5:26 pm

JohnP wrote:Being monitored by a black box for harsh braking will put people off braking hard to avoid going over traffic lights just changed to red. The box will see the braking but not going through the red light.

I think the answer to that would be that you shouldn't need to brake in a harsh manner for lights - doesn't it suggest a lack of observation and forward planning?

Alasdair

TheInsanity1234

Postby TheInsanity1234 » Tue Aug 09, 2016 8:29 pm

akirk wrote:
JohnP wrote:Being monitored by a black box for harsh braking will put people off braking hard to avoid going over traffic lights just changed to red. The box will see the braking but not going through the red light.

I think the answer to that would be that you shouldn't need to brake in a harsh manner for lights - doesn't it suggest a lack of observation and forward planning?

Alasdair

Mostly, I suspect it will be a case of simply not paying attention to the lights until it's too late.

However, one scenario, I actually went through a red light but it was simply due to me being so shocked by the lights that I didn't think about pressing the brake pedal until it was far too late, at which point I just had to floor it and nip through.

The red lights in question were on a level crossing in Porthmadog, where there is a railway crossing. Now, I've regularly been to Porthmadog for 3 times a year, for the last 5 or 6 years, and I've never seen these level crossings in operation.

But I was approaching the level crossing, when the amber lights came on, and I was quite shocked that the railway was still in operation that I totally forgot I was meant to be braking, and then the red flashing lights came on, and this woke me up, and I realised it was far too late to stop, so I just floored it and got through with plenty of time to spare it turned out.

waremark

Postby waremark » Wed Aug 10, 2016 6:55 am

akirk wrote:

Alasdair

Does it? "Stop if safe to do so' not 'if possible to do so smoothly'. The better the O and P, the closer to the lights you can be when they change to amber and still stop in time. No?

Horse

Postby Horse » Wed Aug 10, 2016 7:11 am

waremark wrote:
akirk wrote:

Alasdair

Does it? "Stop if safe to do so' not 'if possible to do so smoothly'. The better the O and P, the closer to the lights you can be when they change to amber and still stop in time. No?

Another comparison is:
Me driving home last night, stopping when the lights changed
Vs
The guy behind who berated me for stopping . . . :nono: :drool: :hit: :confused:
Your 'standard' is how you drive alone, not how you drive during a test.

Return to “General Chat”