First Time Automatic Owner

Topics relating to Advanced Driving in cars
GTR1400MAN

First Time Automatic Owner

Postby GTR1400MAN » Tue Aug 02, 2016 9:11 pm

Well, I eventually decided on a new car (6 months old) to replace the 11 year old Civic and picked it up Monday.

Renault Clio Renaultsport RS 200 EDC with cup chassis/wheels

That's a mouthful, but basically a small family sized turbo charged hot hatch with a flappy paddle dual clutch gearbox.

It's fantastic to drive, both in auto and manual mode (especially with the engine/steering/suspension set to sport mode). Very slick gear changes. A quick car A to B and relaxing to drive in town (once I mastered how much brake pedal pressure is required to activate/prevent stop/start kicking in everywhere. Before anyone asks, yes you can stop blinding the driver behind ... apply the handbrake and select neutral and release the foot brake. Though the temptation is there to drive like everyone else and keep my foot firmly planted on the pedal. Given my ranting in the past on this subject after 2 days I am still being good. ;)

QUESTIONS

1. Handbrake - Do I, don't I? If so, when? Can I keep it in gear with the handbrake on?

2. Hill starts - It has Hill Assist. Can't say I'm impressed as there is still a small amount of roll-back even on a modest slope. Compared to a geared car and good clutch/handbrake control where you get NO roll-back. Am I being too fussy (perfectionist ;) )

3. How do I creep up close to something? My drive way is very short with the smallest of incline (think the average kerb crossing entrance slope) and in my clutch car I could creep it easily to an inch from my house wall. With the new Clio, I creep forward (as much as I dare) apply the foot brake, by which time it's dropped back 2-3 inches. Help!
Mike Roberts - Now riding a Triumph Explorer XRT. My username comes from my 50K miles on a Kawasaki 1400GTR, after many years on Hondas of various shapes and styles. - https://tinyurl.com/mikerobertsonyoutube

GTR1400MAN

Re: First Time Automatic Owner

Postby GTR1400MAN » Tue Aug 02, 2016 9:26 pm

Mike Roberts - Now riding a Triumph Explorer XRT. My username comes from my 50K miles on a Kawasaki 1400GTR, after many years on Hondas of various shapes and styles. - https://tinyurl.com/mikerobertsonyoutube

waremark

Postby waremark » Tue Aug 02, 2016 10:45 pm

The answer to both hill start and creep may be applying both brake and accelerator at the same time. In the case of hill start, use the handbrake, not the foot brake, so hill start assist is not activated, and apply a little gas just before you release the hand brake. For parking creep, apply a little gas, and control your speed with the foot brake. Both would work with some autos, try them with yours.

waremark

Postby waremark » Tue Aug 02, 2016 10:46 pm

PS Nice car.

GTR1400MAN

Postby GTR1400MAN » Tue Aug 02, 2016 10:58 pm

Interesting reply Waremark. For the hill start I was tempted to do as you suggest and drive it like a clutched car. What is unclear is will I do any damage by using the handbrake while still in gear and the car effectively trying to creep? I don't know what the technical/mechanical difference is between sitting with a foot on the brake and using the handbrake instead.

As for the creep technique of using brake and accelerator together ... the car has anti-left foot braking tech and will put the car in limp mode until you stop doing it. I haven't tried this but read about it on the Renaultsport forum as 'go kart' driving is a valid technique on the track. It doesn't stop you doing it in race mode, but it will never be in that mode with me as all the electronic aids, including ABS, are turned off for the track.

Pyrolol

Postby Pyrolol » Wed Aug 03, 2016 1:49 am

You might find the anti-left-foot-braking system still allows you to do that. The (manual) Polo I used to drive had a system that would cut power if you applied the brake (in that order), but allow accelerator to be added after the brake: it allowed heel and toe, but not left foot braking, so to speak. If your car's system is similar, you might still have some room to play around with things.

Horse

Postby Horse » Wed Aug 03, 2016 7:12 am

Pyrolol wrote:You might find the anti-left-foot-braking system still allows you to do that. The (manual) Polo I used to drive had a system that would cut power if you applied the brake (in that order), but allow accelerator to be added after the brake: it allowed heel and toe, but not left foot braking, so to speak. If your car's system is similar, you might still have some room to play around with things.

A colleague owns a Polo which would occasionally drop revs to tickover - particularly worrying for him while attempting to accelerate into traffic.

Eventually tracked to a dodgy brake light switch!
Your 'standard' is how you drive alone, not how you drive during a test.

Bumblebee16

Postby Bumblebee16 » Wed Aug 03, 2016 8:09 am

I can't help, although interested in responses as hubby picks up his new automatic car soon.
We have had autos in the past.

Nice car, by the way.

ancient

Postby ancient » Wed Aug 03, 2016 8:17 am

Nice car? One which won't allow you to use the controls to manoeuvre accurately (or at least has even a driver like Mike asking for help)?

Well, I suppose it's pretty (if you like that sort of styling).

(I probably need more tea, sorry)

GTR1400MAN

Postby GTR1400MAN » Wed Aug 03, 2016 8:59 am

It IS a nice car. :D

Just after advice how to use/drive an automatic PROPERLY. I can certainly drive it OK, but want advice on how to refine my use.

After 40 years of clutched cars I'm bound to find it a bit alien.

Return to “Advanced Driving - Cars”