We really are a minority aren't we.

Anything that doesn't fit elsewhere - doesn't have to be AD related.
WhoseGeneration

We really are a minority aren't we.

Postby WhoseGeneration » Wed Jul 13, 2016 8:41 pm

Government only wants to slow us down, because it will not follow the concept of AD and really deal with those who cannot drive responsibly.
Umpteen TV programmes about Police pursuit stuff have demonstrated this.

Horse

Re: We really are a minority aren't we.

Postby Horse » Wed Jul 13, 2016 9:24 pm

What about a three-level distinction:
AD, however that is different from . . .
Good, safe, legal driving, or:
Cr@p, DGAS, illegal, selfish, etc.
?

The methods being used, like 'em or not, such as ANPR, linked tax & insurance databases, speed cameras (fixed, mobile, average), red light cameras, bus lane cameras, can help reduce the numbers of category 3 drivers on the road. Can't they?

Along the way, there have been gradual improvements in training and testing too. HPT has been shown IIRC to have resulted in an 11% reduction in crashes.
Your 'standard' is how you drive alone, not how you drive during a test.

WhoseGeneration

Postby WhoseGeneration » Wed Jul 13, 2016 9:44 pm

Horse wrote:What about a three-level distinction:
AD, however that is different from . . .
Good, safe, legal driving, or:
Cr@p, DGAS, illegal, selfish, etc.
?

The methods being used, like 'em or not, such as ANPR, linked tax & insurance databases, speed cameras (fixed, mobile, average), red light cameras, bus lane cameras, can help reduce the numbers of category 3 drivers on the road. Can't they?

Along the way, there have been gradual improvements in training and testing too. HPT has been shown IIRC to have resulted in an 11% reduction in crashes.

I could, if I wanted, drive totally illegally and as long as I didn't kill another, I'd be able to carry on, even if I, from time to time, had to appear before Magistrates, especially if I was considered as one deserving of mitigation in today's world of "sympathy".
That's my point.
Loads of examples of how Government can't actually deal with those who refuse to obey the law.

akirk

Postby akirk » Wed Jul 13, 2016 10:48 pm

There is an argument that speed limits are temporal symbols of an artificial construct as laws can be altered at any time if the will is there to make the change... i.e. they are not laws of nature written in stone... So one line of belief might be to ask why you worry about speed limits at all - is it not better to drive within the envelope of safety regardless of speed and marked limits, meaning that at times you will drive at a speed considerably below he limit, and at other times ignore it totally! i.e. does it matter?

Alasdair

WhoseGeneration

Postby WhoseGeneration » Wed Jul 13, 2016 11:11 pm

akirk wrote:There is an argument that speed limits are temporal symbols of an artificial construct as laws can be altered at any time if the will is there to make the change... i.e. they are not laws of nature written in stone... So one line of belief might be to ask why you worry about speed limits at all - is it not better to drive within the envelope of safety regardless of speed and marked limits, meaning that at times you will drive at a speed considerably below he limit, and at other times ignore it totally! i.e. does it matter?

Alasdair

Your logic is not reflected in Law, unfortunately.
Absolutes, not consideration of circumstances.

Return to “General Chat”