ChristianAB

Re: Steering input

Postby ChristianAB » Sat Jul 09, 2016 4:44 pm

nice

hir

Postby hir » Tue Jul 12, 2016 9:17 am

Astraist wrote:Not necessarily.

I steer predictivelly by anticipating the severity of the bend and prepositioning (usually) just the hand in the direction of the bend and pull the wheel. The opposite hand I keep in place, so the pulling hand "draws" the wheel away from under it and, if the bend assesment was well done, will "land" opposite to the other hand mid-corner. Like so:

Nice demo' video.

I think we agree on techniques and are only talking semantics here. Your video is demonstrating what I would call "big-bite" pull-push. Except that, what you're demonstrating is what might be called "massive-big-bite pull", thereby obviating the need for a "push" :D .This technique allows for a fine tuning adjustment to add or remove steering input with one hand as the driver transitions the bend and as such is not strictly "predictive". The "predictive steering" technique, as adopted by some of the posters on here, usually means that both hands are moved from the "quarter to three" position to a different opposing position on the steering wheel (say, 5 minutes past 7 O'clock) prior to turning the wheel. The "predictive" intention being to position the hands prior to entering the bend such that the hands will be at a "quarter to three" during the bend transition. Hence, by pre-positioning, the driver "predicts" having the hands at a "quarter to three" at the apex of the bend. This enables the driver to make any slight, or last minute, adjustment to the steering mid-bend, should the need arise, from the "quarter to three" position.

Astraist

Postby Astraist » Tue Jul 12, 2016 9:31 am

Well, yes, I can certainly see the connection to Pull-Push, but than again it's also like rotational in that the hand crosses to the other side of the wheel and that hands occasionally need to go one over the other.

In this style, you also try not to pull all the way down to the bottom of the wheel (as you would in Pull-Push), because the wrist motion tends to be awkward and you also go over the point where your hands fall immediately into quarter to three, but if you are trying to get 360 degrees of lock in one go, it's a worthy compromise, to me.

Still, I wouldn't call it "Pull-Push". I don't think I've ever heard a name placed on it, but it is predictive steering, essentially. It just doesn't sound so good in my native language. I guess I have to go about looking up what's it called in French. :)

I do think that it is "predictive" in the sense that you are trying to predict exactly how much lock you need, preposition accordingly and hopefully "hit" it mid-corner with the hands back across the (horizontal) diameter of the wheel rather than across any sort of chord.

The fact that the prepositioning is of one hand instead of both does not diminish the predictive nature of this style. It's done simply to extend the range of motion to a degree impossible when prepositioning both hands. Within a more limited range of motion, I will use both hands, especially on tightening radius corners.

The greater range also helps make the prediction more flexible because if you are unsure of the amount of lock needed you ready yourself for a lot of lock, start to steer, finish steering and then sort your hands back to place, which in this style is fairly convenient.

This style also allows to bring the wheel back to straight in the same fashion. You preposition the opposite hand and pull it back to straight. I see some people who preposition both hands going into a bend, but don't think of doing what I do coming out of it, so the way they remove the steering tends to be somewhat awkward.

Return to “Advanced Driving - Cars”