Let the games begin ....

Anything that doesn't fit elsewhere - doesn't have to be AD related.
Rolyan

Re: Let the games begin ....

Postby Rolyan » Wed Jul 06, 2016 9:49 am

Mr Cholmondeley-Warner wrote:I think what Christian was suggesting was that your opinion is, perhaps coincidentally, always at variance with the majority of other members. Thus, you ensure that there's always a debate to be had to satisfy your desire for it. Whether the views you put forward are actually yours, or just your debating position, I'm not sure. It seems you view a forum as a debating society, where everyone is given a position to adopt in each new topic.

I do not view the forum as a debating society. I did view it as a forum where everyone could express their own opinion, and challenge others. I've explained that the opinions I've given are genuine, and despite what Christian keeps saying, I believe I've justified them.

I have fully accepted that others do not see it the same way as me, and even accepted responsibility, without rancour.

Obviously the comments have taken some of the pleasure out of contributing. But unless this is to become the biggest witch hunt since Salem, I'm not sure what else I can do.

akirk

Postby akirk » Wed Jul 06, 2016 9:56 am

Don't worry about it - I don't :)
I do see where your views are coming from - however I think that we were talking at cross purposes - your comments were very astute and indeed interesting from an AD perspective - my comments were that this is not actually an AD issue, but more of a political issue around dealing with symptoms rather than root causes...

Alasdair

waremark

Postby waremark » Wed Jul 06, 2016 10:17 am

What are the situations where a mini RAB helps at a T? If there isn't much traffic on the straight road there is no need. If there is, getting out is still difficult, because drivers on the straight road continue to behave as though they have priority.

And when I am on the straight road and steer round a mini RAB, I have to be ready for the vehicle following me to overtake me by travelling straight over the RAB (even when the RAB is only paint I try to keep off and treat it as steering practice - I wonder what older drivers do).

No point in changing the roads, autonomous cars will keep the elderly mobile.

exportmanuk

Postby exportmanuk » Wed Jul 06, 2016 10:35 am

waremark wrote:No point in changing the roads, autonomous cars will keep the elderly mobile.

Like in "I Robot" where you call for a pool car that then tries to kill you :D
Guess you be OK if you dont get an Audi
Andrew Melton
Manchester 500

GTR1400MAN

Postby GTR1400MAN » Wed Jul 06, 2016 12:54 pm

waremark wrote: ... even when the RAB is only paint I try to keep off and treat it as steering practice.

I should think so too. ;) One of my peeves about mini-RABs is the number of people who drive over them as if they are not there, or even go the wrong side of them!

Many people when challenged don't even know the HWC has been updated and now says (Rule 188) that you MUST go round them if you are able to.
Mike Roberts - Now riding a Triumph Explorer XRT. My username comes from my 50K miles on a Kawasaki 1400GTR, after many years on Hondas of various shapes and styles. - https://tinyurl.com/mikerobertsonyoutube

Horse

Postby Horse » Wed Jul 06, 2016 1:00 pm

GTR1400MAN wrote:
waremark wrote: ... even when the RAB is only paint I try to keep off and treat it as steering practice.

I should think so too. ;) One of my peeves about mini-RABs is the number of people who drive over them as if they are not there, or even go the wrong side of them!

Many people when challenged don't even know the HWC has been updated and now says (Rule 188) that you MUST go round them if you are able to.

At the speed many people encounter the mini-Rab, they probably are unable to negotiate around them. Fair's fair, n'all.
Your 'standard' is how you drive alone, not how you drive during a test.

jont-

Postby jont- » Wed Jul 06, 2016 1:04 pm

GTR1400MAN wrote:

Many people are ignorant of much of the HWC. Elsewhere we seem to be arguing the rules/road layouts should be changed to suit the incapable....
There's a good example here where if you're coming from where the google car is and turning right, you take the wrong side of the roundabout. As mentioned above - if you try to go around it and there's someone behind you, be very careful as they may well cut. Similarly traffic towards on the left leg will probably assume you're going to cut and start to encroach onto the roundabout too.

GTR1400MAN

Postby GTR1400MAN » Wed Jul 06, 2016 1:18 pm

That one's not particularly bad, but I know what you mean. Just imagine the possibilities when you ride it correctly on a motorcycle!

The proposal is for mini-RABs to make T junctions easier. Poor design never makes things easier.
Mike Roberts - Now riding a Triumph Explorer XRT. My username comes from my 50K miles on a Kawasaki 1400GTR, after many years on Hondas of various shapes and styles. - https://tinyurl.com/mikerobertsonyoutube

martine

Postby martine » Wed Jul 06, 2016 3:39 pm

jont- wrote:Many people are ignorant of much of the HWC. Elsewhere we seem to be arguing the rules/road layouts should be changed to suit the incapable....
There's a good example here...

Very apt place...the Lord (of the same name) would be turning in his grave at the antics of some drivers.

It would be helpful however if the centre circle was moved to discourage 'cutters'.
Martin - Bristol Advanced Motorists: IMI National Observer, Group Secretary, Masters (dist), DSA: ADI, Fleet, RoSPA (Dip)

GTR1400MAN

Postby GTR1400MAN » Wed Jul 06, 2016 3:40 pm

Here's a gem. Google Maps Satellite view,

Vehicles travelling from the right of the screen often turn right completely missing traversing the mini-RAB. Often when I make this turn cars coming from the left of the screen assume you are going straight through when you move a bit to the left to go round the poorly placed circle of paint.

Return to “General Chat”