40 mph ... Why?

Anything that doesn't fit elsewhere - doesn't have to be AD related.
jont-

Re: 40 mph ... Why?

Postby jont- » Sat Jul 02, 2016 2:56 pm

Imsensible wrote:I assume that when the 'advanced' drivers on here decide what is a safe speed for any piece of road, that they would ignore their own judgement and speed up, if it was obvious that one or more cars behind wish to go faster?

I wouldn't hinder them getting past me, and might even encourage them to do so. I can't remember ever having a long queue of cars held up behind me :lol:

gannet

Postby gannet » Sat Jul 02, 2016 3:07 pm

jont- wrote:
Imsensible wrote:I assume that when the 'advanced' drivers on here decide what is a safe speed for any piece of road, that they would ignore their own judgement and speed up, if it was obvious that one or more cars behind wish to go faster?

I wouldn't hinder them getting past me, and might even encourage them to do so. I can't remember ever having a long queue of cars held up behind me :lol:

+1 on both counts

I have been known to pull over to let someone behind past - but only in 30's /40's when the following driver decides there's room in my boot...

Imsensible

Postby Imsensible » Sat Jul 02, 2016 3:12 pm

jont- wrote:

Does it have to be a long queue? How about one or two vehicles? Is it your assumption that your speed is the correct one, and that those going slower or faster than you are wrong? What if there isn't a place for them to safely overtake you? Maybe you're a speed merchant or a holier than thou 'Advanced driver'? Maybe neither, but whatever you are, you are affecting those around you. Do you allow those behind you to control your speed, or do you choose your own?

If the latter, why should other drivers have to conform to your ideas of the correct speed?

fungus

Postby fungus » Sun Jul 03, 2016 7:55 pm

Imsensible wrote:
jont- wrote:

Does it have to be a long queue? How about one or two vehicles? Is it your assumption that your speed is the correct one, and that those going slower or faster than you are wrong? What if there isn't a place for them to safely overtake you? Maybe you're a speed merchant or a holier than thou 'Advanced driver'? Maybe neither, but whatever you are, you are affecting those around you. Do you allow those behind you to control your speed, or do you choose your own?

If the latter, why should other drivers have to conform to your ideas of the correct speed?

And why should we conform to theirs?

Nigel.

Return to “General Chat”