Welcome & Approach

Anything that doesn't fit elsewhere - doesn't have to be AD related.
akirk

Re: Welcome & Approach

Postby akirk » Mon Sep 28, 2015 9:09 am

jont- wrote:
akirk wrote:Will there not always be a conscious awareness of the link in what people post?

Depends entirely on Rob. But given most of the value of ADUK is it's independence, it would seem strange to throw that away.

/devils advocate - how do we know you'll never sell this forum in the future if we spend lots of time building this up?

Very valid :) I work in the web industry and I do have a business which makes money out of owning websites...

However this has been set up at a personal level, not through that business and the hosting sits on servers belonging to my main business, so there is no direct link with my web owning business and no conflict anyway even if there were a link, I have no commercial interest in this sector. If anyone wishes to I would have no issue with it sitting within a non-profit organisation, however I don't have the time to set that up and my experience of charities (and I have founded / set up / run a number) is that they are a lot of overhead for often little benefit - especially when there is no money involved... This won't work by adding in lots of layers of red tape at an early (or any other!) stage.

reference IP - I am not entirely sure why Rob bought ADUK, there isn't huge commercial value int he IP any longer, there are certain legal rights now to have data removed, and as we see people can set up a new forum very fast (took me two hours yesterday) - forums are usually bought for the advertising stream, based on 6-12 months revenue... Rob seems to be saying he wants ADUK for the other pages and their 'google juice' however it brings unintended consequences for the forum users - in some ways ADUK and the forum are two parallel beasts...

I am happy to make a committment:
- I will fund this website through hosting / domains where possible (certainly not an issue now)
- If it grows big enough that it needs a different approach, then such an approach would be decided on by a wider group
- If it needs to make money at some point then that is valid, but to put the money back into the website, not for personal gain - if excess monies were to be made, then they could go into supporting driver training etc.
- It won't be linked to / owned by / run by / etc. any commercial organisation in this sector
- It should remain fully independent as that is its uniqueness...

my only caveat is that while it sits on my servers I need to play a role in the admin / technical side to ensure it doesn't affect my daily clients etc. - I am not intending particularly to 'run' the forum - Mr C-W is an admin on here for that purpose, and there will no doubt be a slightly wider moderating team over time - however my hope and intention is that it is as hands-off / independent / etc. as ADUK has been, with more effort in feeding interesting material than moderating what people do...

hope that reassures!

Alasdair

Strangely Brown

Postby Strangely Brown » Mon Sep 28, 2015 9:13 am

jont- wrote:Have you gone through the list posted on ADUK of all of BRAKEs sponsors - and decided similarly to have no further interaction with them either?

There are only one or two on the list that I do business with and I have no particular attachment to them. Most of the people on the list are going to be there because it earns them PC points. I don't need any, nor do I want any so I am free to choose which associations I make. Anything that is posted on ADUK now, like it or not, is posted as part of a formal sponsor of Brake. I choose not to.

gannet

Postby gannet » Mon Sep 28, 2015 10:24 am

and hello over here from me too...

be interesting to see how this pans out :D

sussex2

Postby sussex2 » Mon Sep 28, 2015 11:44 am

Many thanks for having me :)

hir

Postby hir » Mon Sep 28, 2015 1:19 pm

Wow, it's just like Déjà vu. Brilliant. I like it.

chriskay

Postby chriskay » Mon Sep 28, 2015 2:14 pm

I've been invited and have joined since any connection, however tenuous, with Brake, makes me unhappy. I'll be keeping an eye on the old site until this one becomes more active.
Quote Alasdair "there are certain legal rights now to have data removed" does that mean I can request the old ADUK to remove all my posts?
Carpe diem

StressedDave

Postby StressedDave » Mon Sep 28, 2015 2:33 pm

I have, and judging by the amount of access I now seem to have - not even to the public side - Martin has performed an excellent slash and burn. Not even my posts still exist.
All posts are licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License. Do what you like with it, just don't make money off it.

gannet

Postby gannet » Mon Sep 28, 2015 2:36 pm

Seems to be a responsive site already too... Ie mobile friendly :D

MrToad

Postby MrToad » Mon Sep 28, 2015 2:39 pm

The disadvantage of removing all posts is the mess it makes of old threads - veterans of the Separation Master debacle will remember how confusing it all got when his many posts disappeared overnight. I put a bit of thought into nine years of contributions over there, and still hope that we won't need to abandon it all.

There's also the consideration that many Google searches presumably currently return results that are very critical of BRAKE. Even those that aren't will generally propose a way of thinking about road safety that is very different to their way. Removing those from the record doesn't seem like a helpful thing to do.

Strangely Brown

Postby Strangely Brown » Mon Sep 28, 2015 2:43 pm

I have asked Martin to do the same for me and the account appears to be gone. I can't tell if the posts are gone though, because I can't see any forums there now.

Return to “General Chat”