The EU - Leave or Remain?

Anything that doesn't fit elsewhere - doesn't have to be AD related.
angus

Re: The EU - Leave or Remain?

Postby angus » Sat Jun 25, 2016 6:15 pm

I'm a bit late to this party....

I was working on Thursday, one of those people who handed out the voting slips, and chatting to the electorate. I've done that station for the last 6 or 7 years. It's one of the generally apathetic areas of Colchester, yet our turnout was double the last general election. We were getting middle-aged voters, coming in with their children who were of voting age, who had never voted before and didn't know what to do! As to the proportion who believed that their mark in pencil would be rubbed out and changed....

As to the result, I was surprised. But we haven't left yet and I personnally doubt that we will. There is already a suggestion that because less than 60/65/70/75% of the electorate voted to leave, it isn't enough

A large proportion of those who voted to leave did so because of David Cameron. For them it was a vote of no confidence in our Prime Minister.

Expect another referendum.

Strangely Brown

Postby Strangely Brown » Sat Jun 25, 2016 6:25 pm

There won't be another referendum and the will of the people will be respected. If the occupants of Westminster are agreed on nothing else, they are at least agreed on that. Yes, there has been one call for the house to ignore the result, but it's not going to happen, it would be committing political suicide and absolute confirmation of exactly what people have just voted against.

I thought that there wasn't much that could shock me but I am really quite appalled at the extent of the desire to ignore the democratic process.

Silk

Postby Silk » Sat Jun 25, 2016 6:29 pm

angus wrote:I'm a bit late to this party....

I was working on Thursday, one of those people who handed out the voting slips, and chatting to the electorate. I've done that station for the last 6 or 7 years. It's one of the generally apathetic areas of Colchester, yet our turnout was double the last general election. We were getting middle-aged voters, coming in with their children who were of voting age, who had never voted before and didn't know what to do! As to the proportion who believed that their mark in pencil would be rubbed out and changed....

As to the result, I was surprised. But we haven't left yet and I personnally doubt that we will. There is already a suggestion that because less than 60/65/70/75% of the electorate voted to leave, it isn't enough

A large proportion of those who voted to leave did so because of David Cameron. For them it was a vote of no confidence in our Prime Minister.

Expect another referendum.

I was thinking something similar myself. The government would probably need to call an election and put it in the manifesto. I'm not sure if that could be done easily with fixed-term parliaments. In the end, if the political elite really want something to happen, it will happen, whether we like it or not. The EU will no doubt come up with a solution that's exactly the same as EU membership but under a different name.

I see all the lefties have started a petition to re-run it.

Mr Cholmondeley-Warner

Postby Mr Cholmondeley-Warner » Sat Jun 25, 2016 6:33 pm

A classic case of "keep asking the question until you get the answer you want" :roll:
Nick

Silk

Postby Silk » Sat Jun 25, 2016 6:35 pm

Mr Cholmondeley-Warner wrote:A classic case of "keep asking the question until you get the answer you want" :roll:

SNP springs to mind.

jont-

Postby jont- » Sat Jun 25, 2016 7:28 pm

Silk wrote:I was thinking something similar myself. The government would probably need to call an election and put it in the manifesto.

Manifestos aren't worth the paper they are written on. They have exactly the same value (and binding) as all the promises of the "leave" campaign. I'd love it to be different (manifesto commitments are legally binding - fail to deliver and it's re-election time, or better still, lock up the party leader as that might focus their minds a bit about what's actually achieveable).

Mr Cholmondeley-Warner

Postby Mr Cholmondeley-Warner » Sat Jun 25, 2016 7:30 pm

I'm sure there are probably times when external influences prevent the execution of manifesto pledges, but yes, they are generally over-inflated.
Nick

Keithrm

Postby Keithrm » Sat Jun 25, 2016 9:28 pm

Strangely Brown wrote:
I thought that there wasn't much that could shock me but I am really quite appalled at the extent of the desire to ignore the democratic process.

so am I, can't remember how many times the vote went against my preference but that's democracy, I certainly didn't throw my toys out and start asking for it to be done again

Gareth

Postby Gareth » Sat Jun 25, 2016 10:16 pm

jont- wrote:Manifestos aren't worth the paper they are written on.

I see them as a way to communicate the values, desires, hopes and aims of political parties. When a party isn't in power, it's probably difficult for them to work out what is actually feasible, so it's more likely their manifesto pledges turn out to be out of kilter with what can be achieved, especially when practical limits on implementation are considered. In some ways, I think problems arise when the electorate expects a party to adhere precisely to the content of the manifesto, since that removes some of the wiggle room needed to run a country.
there is only the road, nothing but the road ...

TheInsanity1234

Postby TheInsanity1234 » Sat Jun 25, 2016 10:30 pm

*sigh*

Well.

I'll apologise for the way I've conducted myself.

I will not apologise for being pissed off at the result, and for using the word "fucking". I could have happily sworn like a sailor, but I remained somewhat restrained. What I was saying verbally in the real world to express my disgust and shock at the result was infinitely worse than what I used on here, however, if Alasdair sees fit to censor my language, he is more than welcome to do so. I certainly will not be censoring my language.

Also, for all those people calling me immature, I apologise that you feel I've been immature. Please feel free to attempt a discussion with various friends whom are 16+ and would simply just call you Leave voters idiotic buffoons who simply just have to destroy the world.

At least I'm attempting to be civil here with the Leave voters, as I may be angry with them for voting leave, but now the decision has been made, as I previously said, I'm just going to roll my sleeves up, get my degree, and then sod off outta here.

I also think the Remain camp wouldn't be quite so angry if it wasn't for the fact the vote was so marginal, and now a lot of the Leave voters are coming out saying they've made a mistake.

Oh well, if we leave the EU, we need to team up and try to make the exit as seamless and smooth as possible while we let those half-arsed nitwits like Boris sort out all the tricky business behind the scenes to probably just rename our membership from a "EU member" to an "EU Associate".

By the way, if the members who have disrespected me wish to apologise, they're more than welcome to do so, if not, then no harm done. I am, after all, mature enough to move on from this nonsense ;)

Back to the driving nonsense.

ROTATIONAL STEERING IS BEST

Return to “General Chat”