BBC article on driver awareness courses

Articles of interest to the AD community, currently in the news.
jont-

BBC article on driver awareness courses

Postby jont- » Thu Jun 23, 2016 7:01 am

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-36594584

I didn't realise there was now a 3rd type of course for "suspected intentional offenders".

Looking at those figures for the growth in numbers attending courses, it seems hard to argue it's anything but a cash cow for the operating companies, who presumably also lobby hard for additional enforcement to continue to swell their own coffers? And of course in the face of Brake and the like, it's difficult to say we shouldn't be offering them.

GTR1400MAN

Re: BBC article on driver awareness courses

Postby GTR1400MAN » Thu Jun 23, 2016 7:57 am

His opening lines of the article show his attitude to driving hasn't changed. He still sees driving through a red light as a minor offence. :(
Mike Roberts - Now riding a Triumph Explorer XRT. My username comes from my 50K miles on a Kawasaki 1400GTR, after many years on Hondas of various shapes and styles. - https://tinyurl.com/mikerobertsonyoutube

jont-

Postby jont- » Thu Jun 23, 2016 8:06 am

GTR1400MAN wrote:His opening lines of the article show his attitude to driving hasn't changed. He still sees driving through a red light as a minor offence. :(

He does later say the road ahead of him was clear, but that it's an absolute offence. I have to say, given the increasing proliferation of traffic lights on roundabouts, I do get really pissed off with the time stolen from me when the road is perfectly clear and it would absolutely be safe to proceed (to be clear, I never have deliberately run a red light, but the temptation is there). Just because traffic lights might be needed for 3 hours a day during the week, it seems insane to have them on the rest of the time.

GTR1400MAN

Postby GTR1400MAN » Thu Jun 23, 2016 8:27 am

I dislike poorly timed or implemented traffic lights as much as the next person, but if his attitude is that not stopping is minor, what else does he think doesn't apply to him? If I'm coming the other way, while I am checking, there is still an element of trust in people following the rules.
Mike Roberts - Now riding a Triumph Explorer XRT. My username comes from my 50K miles on a Kawasaki 1400GTR, after many years on Hondas of various shapes and styles. - https://tinyurl.com/mikerobertsonyoutube

StressedDave

Postby StressedDave » Thu Jun 23, 2016 8:31 am

It's interesting in that he said he wasn't really given sufficient scare data to make him consider his actions in the first place. The only deterrent he saw was the 'four hours of his life he isn't going to get back'.

Trouble is, I've got a lot of photos from my previous life. There's plenty of nasty there, but most of it involves the emergency services rather than the general public. Showing lots of jam sandwiches and battenbergs with minor dents (at least the side opposite the impact has a minor dent) probably isn't the way to go.

Added to which, there's probably quite a view as to how nasty these things ought to be. Pictures of people with their skulls cleaved in half horizontally isn't something you'd show to your 60 year old granny.
All posts are licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License. Do what you like with it, just don't make money off it.

GTR1400MAN

Postby GTR1400MAN » Thu Jun 23, 2016 8:37 am

Scare tactics have been shown not to work in any case. Bravado and general de-sensitisation (via television and the internet) has seen to that.

Strangely Brown

Postby Strangely Brown » Thu Jun 23, 2016 8:39 am

In the table: Major contributory factors in reported accidents in Britain 2014, it shows "Exceeding speed limit" as number 4. Is that accurate? I thought it was "excessive speed [for the conditions]" as opposed "speed in excess of the limit". ?

GTR1400MAN

Postby GTR1400MAN » Thu Jun 23, 2016 9:43 am

The excessive speed for the conditions is a little further down. Don't forget these figures are based on the Stats19 data which is collected at the scene at the time. Those entries are not updated if/when any detailed investigation takes place.

Strangely Brown

Postby Strangely Brown » Thu Jun 23, 2016 11:58 am

GTR1400MAN wrote:The excessive speed for the conditions is a little further down.

That'll teach me to read properly.

jont-

Postby jont- » Thu Jun 23, 2016 12:10 pm

Strangely Brown wrote:
GTR1400MAN wrote:The excessive speed for the conditions is a little further down.

That'll teach me to read properly.

Highest cause of all accidents: "Driver failed to look properly" :lol:

Return to “In The News”