Censorship and derailment

Anything that doesn't fit elsewhere - doesn't have to be AD related.
Rolyan

Censorship and derailment

Postby Rolyan » Fri Jun 17, 2016 7:31 pm

Rather than censorship when threads drift, and closing threads arbitrarily when they drift, wouldn't it be better to let the members do their own censorship by allowing them to post or not as they see fit.

However well intentioned, I'm surprised that Alisdaire thinks it's appropriate to lock a thread, simply because he doesn't like the way it's gone.

Gareth

Re: Censorship and derailment

Postby Gareth » Fri Jun 17, 2016 7:35 pm

I'm concerned that we're using too much fossil fuels, polluting the environment, to the detriment of future generations.
there is only the road, nothing but the road ...

jont-

Postby jont- » Fri Jun 17, 2016 7:40 pm

Gareth wrote:I'm concerned that we're using too much fossil fuels, polluting the environment, to the detriment of future generations.

:lol: :hit:

Mr Cholmondeley-Warner

Postby Mr Cholmondeley-Warner » Fri Jun 17, 2016 7:43 pm

No. HTH.

An internet forum is not a democracy. There's only a small admin team and sometimes decisions have to be taken. They don't require a vote from the whole membership.

If people would stick to the thread topic (clue - it's at the top of every page of posts), there would be no need for any intervention. It's incredibly rare, anyway.

Now back to :biker: and :car:
Nick

akirk

Postby akirk » Fri Jun 17, 2016 9:16 pm

I think that might be the first editing I have done / locking of a thread since we started this forum c. 9 months ago - hardly severe moderating :) I don't generally mind some thread drift but some times it is easier to stop a thread and restart than to try to get it back on track... I have no issue either with politics etc... but not in the middle of a thread where there is no relevance and it wasn't just me, I had others complain... So I think it pretty reasonable...

Alasdair

Silk

Postby Silk » Fri Jun 17, 2016 9:46 pm

akirk wrote:I think that might be the first editing I have done / locking of a thread since we started this forum c. 9 months ago - hardly severe moderating :) I don't generally mind some thread drift but some times it is easier to stop a thread and restart than to try to get it back on track... I have no issue either with politics etc... but not in the middle of a thread where there is no relevance and it wasn't just me, I had others complain... So I think it pretty reasonable...

Compared to the other place that will remain nameless, I have to agree that the moderation on here is much more sensible. I've yet to have any of my posts moderated or threads locked - it was fairly commonplace on the "other one".

I didn't actually see the "offending" post in question, if indeed there as one. So I don't have an opinion. I would be sorry to lose Dave - even though he's WRONG more often than I, he's a lot funnier. :lol:

Can't someone beg him to come back? I'm getting lonely. ;-)

Silk

Postby Silk » Fri Jun 17, 2016 9:50 pm

Mr Cholmondeley-Warner wrote:No. HTH.

An internet forum is not a democracy.

Not strictly true. If you upset the "electorate", you won't have a forum for very long. We've already seen an example of that.

Horse

Postby Horse » Sat Jun 18, 2016 10:52 am

Silk wrote:

Not strictly true. If you upset the "electorate", you won't have a forum for very long. We've already seen an example of that.

You're still here, so presumably a vote in favour of the management? A's 'ball', he can go home if he (or his delegated Mods) want to. I accept that as a condition of being here, and potentially a consequence.
Your 'standard' is how you drive alone, not how you drive during a test.

Silk

Postby Silk » Sat Jun 18, 2016 3:34 pm

Horse wrote:
Silk wrote:

You're still here, so presumably a vote in favour of the management? A's 'ball', he can go home if he (or his delegated Mods) want to. I accept that as a condition of being here, and potentially a consequence.

I'm sure the "ball" owner is quite capable of threatening me himself. ;-)

So far, I have no particular issues with the management on here, although I believe Dave was treated a bit harshly. Mentioning the EU was wholly appropriate, IMO, as they do seem to spend an awful lot of our money on other country's roads.

Horse

Postby Horse » Sat Jun 18, 2016 4:27 pm

If my post could be read as a threat then I apologise for that (but admit, too, to being confused about how it could! ).

AaAAMOI, I work for an organisation which receives funding from the EU, but I haven't felt any need to post campaign messages :)
Your 'standard' is how you drive alone, not how you drive during a test.

Return to “General Chat”