The state of roads.

Anything that doesn't fit elsewhere - doesn't have to be AD related.
StressedDave

Re: The state of roads.

Postby StressedDave » Thu Jun 16, 2016 6:13 pm

No, I'm just trying not to swear...
All posts are licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License. Do what you like with it, just don't make money off it.

sussex2

Postby sussex2 » Thu Jun 16, 2016 7:29 pm

TripleS wrote:Off topic somewhat, but a question:

Are posts being subjected to some form of censorship on here?

A forum is owned, and the owner of the forum as the right to edit or censor it in any manner they chose.

WhoseGeneration

Postby WhoseGeneration » Thu Jun 16, 2016 7:32 pm

I understand your question but I tend to agree with the edit, not by you, in that, overt political views are probably best left off this 'site.
I, in the previous place, have expressed political views but not quite as pointed as your's was.

akirk

Postby akirk » Thu Jun 16, 2016 7:44 pm

Almost none at all :) but any time a post may go off topic we reserve the right to edit it!
No issue with folks posting a thread on the referendum, but better off in its own thread so those not interested can ignore the thread... Prefer not to have it mid a thread on a different topic so there were a couple of edits / deletions in this thread... Hope that makes sense...

Alasdair

Rolyan

Postby Rolyan » Thu Jun 16, 2016 7:48 pm

StressedDave wrote:
Rolyan wrote:The cyclist the other day was going with the flow of traffic, but decided he could make better progress by cycling at speed on the pavement. Fortunately, I based my driving plan around the premise that not only was he inconsiderate, he was likely to be a really poor rider with no spatial awareness and an arrogant attitude to all other road users. This meant that when he decided to join the road without any shoulder check, at speed, I was able to avoid an unpleasant RTI.

Knowing that most cyclists are complete idiots (certainly the lycra clad 'Captain Insensible' ones) can save their lives.

Are you aware just how smug the above sounds?

Yeah. I wrote it that way to see who would bite. I'm partly surprised it's you.

StressedDave wrote:Someone needs to read and inwardly digest Dave's driving mantra No. 1... To save you searching it is: 'Everyone on the road is an idiot, including me'.

To be fair, even acknowledging your massive experience over mine (I truly acknowledge that) that is not your mantra. Yes, you've appropriated it as a useful soundbite. But it's not yours and you are certainly not the only one to use it. Sorry to disappoint you, but I've been saying it for years. I would give you a link to save you searching, but the forum has been closed. So I can't. But rest assured you are not the only one who knows it and uses it.

That aside, the cyclist in question was an idiot. If you don't agree, fine. But fortunately you are not the arbiter of all things driving. I described his idiotic actions and explained how I (and probably others) saved his life by predicting his actions.

Chillax man.

akirk

Postby akirk » Thu Jun 16, 2016 7:51 pm

Back on topic - ish for SD, I was also a member of the tufty club mid 1970s, I think I have still got the handkerchief somewhere! Ref. cyclists, we have a lot of issues with them around here - singly, in packs and even organised racing on the road, I tend to be pretty patient with them, but the issues we have had / will have is always when idiot driver comes in contact with them, particularly when overtaking them on blind corners... And to be really on topic, the issue is made bigger by the quality of the roads locally (low quality) which means that cyclists have no choice but to move out into the road more to avoid potholes etc, a move rarely anticipated by car drivers... In reality there is room for both, the driver simply has to slow down and make decisions based more on the speed of the cyclist than the car...

Alasdair

sussex2

Postby sussex2 » Thu Jun 16, 2016 7:56 pm

akirk wrote:Back on topic - ish for SD, I was also a member of the tufty club mid 1970s, I think I have still got the handkerchief somewhere! Ref. cyclists, we have a lot of issues with them around here - singly, in packs and even organised racing on the road, I tend to be pretty patient with them, but the issues we have had / will have is always when idiot driver comes in contact with them, particularly when overtaking them on blind corners... And to be really on topic, the issue is made bigger by the quality of the roads locally (low quality) which means that cyclists have no choice but to move out into the road more to avoid potholes etc, a move rarely anticipated by car drivers... In reality there is room for both, the driver simply has to slow down and make decisions based more on the speed of the cyclist than the car...

Alasdair

Well said and I have no objection to remaining behind a Lycra clad behind, purely in the interests of safety ;)

Rolyan

Postby Rolyan » Thu Jun 16, 2016 8:45 pm

akirk wrote:Back on topic - ish for SD, I was also a member of the tufty club mid 1970s, I think I have still got the handkerchief somewhere! Ref. cyclists, we have a lot of issues with them around here - singly, in packs and even organised racing on the road, I tend to be pretty patient with them, but the issues we have had / will have is always when idiot driver comes in contact with them, particularly when overtaking them on blind corners... And to be really on topic, the issue is made bigger by the quality of the roads locally (low quality) which means that cyclists have no choice but to move out into the road more to avoid potholes etc, a move rarely anticipated by car drivers... In reality there is room for both, the driver simply has to slow down and make decisions based more on the speed of the cyclist than the car...

Alasdair

The roads around here don't help them, that's for sure. Although there is now a lot of public resentment at the multi-millions being spent on upmarket cycle lanes.

There is also a massive problem with really bad driving; so dangerous that a lot of the do gooder experts wouldn't last 5 minutes on the roads around here. It truly is as bad as anywhere I've ever seen anywhere in the UK.

BUT....mix into that the idiotic cyclists who appear to think that they are above the law. It's bizarre to be sat at red lights and have a cyclist just go through; regular occurrence. On the pavement, with pedestrians moving out of their way; seen every single day. Changing position without looking. Etc etc etc.

The bit I really can't understand is why so many of them do so many stupid things, but in situations that they are guaranteed to be the one that gets hurt. I know many drivers that hate cyclists with a passion; I'm not amongst them, they don't really bother me that way. I just don't get how they have ended up so bad.

akirk

Postby akirk » Thu Jun 16, 2016 9:24 pm

Rolyan wrote: I just don't get how they have ended up so bad.

My theory is that it is a mixture of factors:
- a rise in numbers = more solidarity / bigger voice
- cyclists used to the safety of a car and simply being unaware of quite how vulnerable they are on a bike
- lack of test / licensing / regulation meaning that they think they are above / beyond the law
- a public and authorities lead concept that in an altercation with a car the car driver is presumed guilty
- a return by older men to cycling with lots of money to spend on a hobby when probably their last cycling was done as a child when cycling on a pavement was okay
- a lack of awareness / understanding that the law and HC apply to them as well...
- a certain increase in belief in personal rights, rather than accepting responsibility for your own actions - in society generally...
- arrogance ;)

Mix it all together and you get a lot of stupidity and a number of injuries and deaths which simply lead to more calls to regulate or restrict car drivers... Yes car drivers are very often in the wrong, but not always... Mind you, you should see some motorcyclists and esp. Moped riders in London!

Alasdair

StressedDave

Postby StressedDave » Thu Jun 16, 2016 10:17 pm

Rolyan wrote:
StressedDave wrote:
Rolyan wrote:The cyclist the other day was going with the flow of traffic, but decided he could make better progress by cycling at speed on the pavement. Fortunately, I based my driving plan around the premise that not only was he inconsiderate, he was likely to be a really poor rider with no spatial awareness and an arrogant attitude to all other road users. This meant that when he decided to join the road without any shoulder check, at speed, I was able to avoid an unpleasant RTI.

Knowing that most cyclists are complete idiots (certainly the lycra clad 'Captain Insensible' ones) can save their lives.

Are you aware just how smug the above sounds?

Yeah. I wrote it that way to see who would bite. I'm partly surprised it's you.

Really? Why? :facepalm:

Rolyan wrote:
StressedDave wrote:Someone needs to read and inwardly digest Dave's driving mantra No. 1... To save you searching it is: 'Everyone on the road is an idiot, including me'.

To be fair, even acknowledging your massive experience over mine (I truly acknowledge that) that is not your mantra. Yes, you've appropriated it as a useful soundbite. But it's not yours and you are certainly not the only one to use it. Sorry to disappoint you, but I've been saying it for years. I would give you a link to save you searching, but the forum has been closed. So I can't. But rest assured you are not the only one who knows it and uses it.

It's my mantra because it's the mantra I use, not because I invented it

Rolyan wrote:That aside, the cyclist in question was an idiot. If you don't agree, fine. But fortunately you are not the arbiter of all things driving. I described his idiotic actions and explained how I (and probably others) saved his life by predicting his actions.

Chillax man.

I'm not suggesting in any way that he wasn't an idiot. I've seen plenty of organ donors in my time. Now I appreciate the typed word is an undoubtedly imperfect medium, but the tone of your post suggested to me the idea that, because you're such a l33t driver (see, I can get down with the kiddies without having to use the word 'chillax :ugeek: ) only you would have saved that cyclist's life. Hence the use of the word smug. There are plenty of other less polite words I'd have used but I'm under enough medication (including what is apparently the most abused drug in the UK prison system) to have control of my sweary keyboard fingers for the first time since the Internet forum was invented.

And I don't have massive experience. I mean I've not even got an advanced driver qualification and I'm less than half TripleS' age :mrgreen: so I can't claim years of experience like him.
All posts are licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License. Do what you like with it, just don't make money off it.

Return to “General Chat”