The state of roads.

Anything that doesn't fit elsewhere - doesn't have to be AD related.
TripleS

Re: The state of roads.

Postby TripleS » Thu Jun 09, 2016 6:01 pm

sussex2 wrote:Girls girls, please, save that for the internet!

Er, what's up, doc?

http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=bug ... enDu4lU&si

As far as I'm concerned there is no animosity here, well nothing worthy of the name.

All is cool. 8-)

Best wishes to Steve - and the rest of you.
Dave.

WhoseGeneration

Postby WhoseGeneration » Thu Jun 09, 2016 6:20 pm

TripleS wrote:

Er, what's up, doc?

As far as I'm concerned there is no animosity here, well nothing worthy of the name.

All is cool. 8-)

Dave.

Not got the memo?
All today, is about not offending anyone else, no matter their views or opinions on any subject.

Silk

Postby Silk » Sat Jun 11, 2016 12:06 pm

WhoseGeneration wrote:
TripleS wrote:

Er, what's up, doc?

All is cool. 8-)

Dave.

Not got the memo?
All today, is about not offending anyone else, no matter their views or opinions on any subject.

I have an email rule puts them straight in the "deleted items" box.

Silk

Postby Silk » Sat Jun 11, 2016 12:12 pm

TripleS wrote:Steve's problem - well, one of them - is that he doesn't seem to appreciate that I'm the only supporter he has here (albeit part-time only), and still he behaves like an ass towards me. Some folk can be quite weird. :roll:

Dave, you have to understand I can't be seen to have any favorites. Where would it end? I have my reputation to think about. ;)

Horse

Postby Horse » Tue Jun 14, 2016 12:35 pm

Just posted by a friend on his Facebook page:

I'm just back from a few days riding in the Pyrenees with my two brothers. We were supposed to be heading to the rather closer Massif Centrale, but it was underwater, so turned right and ended up in the mountains between France and Spain instead.

Although the sun's high in the sky in early June (and the UV is correspondingly fierce), it's not so long since the snow cleared. And that means the local highways people had been out patching the road.

Whether we bikers like it or not, they use a technique that firstly sprays a worn patch with a tar compound which softens the underlying bitumen, then secondly coats the patch with loose gravel. That means our rides up over the passes were regularly punctuated with the sign 'GRAVILLONS', warning that these patches were ahead.
Your 'standard' is how you drive alone, not how you drive during a test.

akirk

Postby akirk » Tue Jun 14, 2016 1:32 pm

There is an article in the current Autocar on a similar technique being used now by councils to fix potholes quicker and for longer - but the costs and figures are scary

Alasdair

hir

Postby hir » Tue Jun 14, 2016 2:31 pm

WhoseGeneration wrote:Just back from a holiday in Northern Spain.
Roads immaculate.
Unlike here.
Why?

Must be massive EU road building grants to Spain. Paid for by the British Taxpayer. After we've voted to leave next week we'll be able to spend our £350 million a week on a massive road building programme for ourselves! £18.2 billion a year on new roads [Oh, yes, mustn't forget - and £1,000 on a new cycle path around Cambridge]. Sounds plausible to me! :lol: :lol: :lol:

akirk

Postby akirk » Tue Jun 14, 2016 2:36 pm

£1,000 would be very cheap for a cycle path :)
and I think it is only £170million a week as a more accurate figure!

Alasdair

hir

Postby hir » Tue Jun 14, 2016 3:40 pm

akirk wrote:£1,000 would be very cheap for a cycle path :)
and I think it is only £170million a week as a more accurate figure!

Alasdair

So who nicked the other £180 million??? :o :o :o I think we should be told! :?

Don't tell me. Let me guess. Was it The European Council? No? Was it the Council of The European Union? No? Was it the European Parliament? No? Was it The European Commission? No? Was it the Council of the European Union Commission Parliament? No? Well, if it wasn't them wot's nicked our money it must have been Boris or Nigel. The thieving, two-faced scoundrels. I bet Boris is going to spend it on cycle paths! :shock:

Why is £1,000 cheap for a cycle path round Cambridge? It only needs to be 3 inches wide in each direction. It would be half that price if it's made one-way only. :lol:

StressedDave

Postby StressedDave » Tue Jun 14, 2016 6:23 pm

I think you'll find in central Cambridge that the roads are three inches wide and the rest is given over to cyclists, many of whom will quite happily cycle against traffic.
All posts are licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License. Do what you like with it, just don't make money off it.

Return to “General Chat”