I'm resigned to driving slower and slower.

Anything that doesn't fit elsewhere - doesn't have to be AD related.
WhoseGeneration

I'm resigned to driving slower and slower.

Postby WhoseGeneration » Thu Jun 09, 2016 7:29 pm

Because, the Government and Local Authorities are not interested in ensuring drivers are capable of driving properly.
Slow em down, that'll be safer.
Might also lead one to question whether there's any point to the AD organisations.

martine

Re: I'm resigned to driving slower and slower.

Postby martine » Fri Jun 10, 2016 8:19 am

Yes I share your feelings. I've seen some perfectly good local rural roads go from NSL, to 50 and now 40.

Autonomous cars aren't going to be practical/available anytime soon but when they are I guess AD will increasingly become a minority sport (even more than it is now) and seen as somewhat 'outdated' by the masses (even more than it is now!).
Martin - Bristol Advanced Motorists: IMI National Observer, Group Secretary, Masters (dist), DSA: ADI, Fleet, RoSPA (Dip)

sussex2

Postby sussex2 » Fri Jun 10, 2016 8:40 am

WhoseGeneration wrote:Because, the Government and Local Authorities are not interested in ensuring drivers are capable of driving properly.
Slow em down, that'll be safer.
Might also lead one to question whether there's any point to the AD organisations.

Advanced driving is an attitude of mind and it doesn't matter which speed you use it at.
I've not accessed the data but imagine most collisions occur at lower speeds; this being the case the need is still, and always will be, there.

GTR1400MAN

Postby GTR1400MAN » Fri Jun 10, 2016 9:22 am

sussex2 wrote:Advanced driving is an attitude of mind and it doesn't matter which speed you use it at.
I've not accessed the data but imagine most collisions occur at lower speeds; this being the case the need is still, and always will be, there.

If we haven't all died of boredom beforehand!

I ventured into Norfolk yesterday (passport in hand). They seem to have a love affair with 50 limits on many wide open A/B roads that would have always been NSL. Then the locals (and tourists?) seem to think you have to drive 10mph below any posted limit! Strangley, they haven't adopted the stance of their Suffolk cousins and installed 30mph limits wherever there's the slightest hint of habitation by the locals. A few times I actually panicked (relatively in my head!) that I'd missed a limit sign as we passed through a built up rural area at 50 or NSL.
Mike Roberts - Now riding a Triumph Explorer XRT. My username comes from my 50K miles on a Kawasaki 1400GTR, after many years on Hondas of various shapes and styles. - https://tinyurl.com/mikerobertsonyoutube

jont-

Postby jont- » Fri Jun 10, 2016 10:30 am

GTR1400MAN wrote:
sussex2 wrote:Advanced driving is an attitude of mind and it doesn't matter which speed you use it at.

I ventured into Norfolk yesterday (passport in hand). They seem to have a love affair with 50 limits on many wide open A/B roads that would have always been NSL. Then the locals (and tourists?) seem to think you have to drive 10mph below any posted limit!

You should try neighbouring fenland. Mostly NSL still, trucks will be bouncing off their limiters and most locals think NSL is 70. Only problem is stopping the car bouncing off the road :lol:

sussex2

Postby sussex2 » Fri Jun 10, 2016 1:23 pm

I spent a few hundred quid buying an MX5 and spent another few hundred getting the (inevitable - they all have it) rust properly sorted (anyone in the S.E. with a rusty MX5 I know just the people you should see).
Now I've got a cheap to run bit of fun that doesn't need to be driven fast to achieve it. I can have fun on a mini-roundabout and I don't need a lot of electronic programmes to hold excessive amounts of horses back.
That a speed limit has come down 10mph doesn't bother me in the slightest except for when it is raining.
I've found that even in quite heavy rain it doesn't come into the car much above 40 :)
Thus I do not suffer from boredom.

sussex2

Postby sussex2 » Fri Jun 10, 2016 1:26 pm

ps We've also got a van which is a cracking thing to drive.
I may one day buy a more powerful car, and I've had a few, but I honestly can't see it.

sussex2

Postby sussex2 » Fri Jun 10, 2016 1:28 pm

jont- wrote:
GTR1400MAN wrote:

I ventured into Norfolk yesterday (passport in hand). They seem to have a love affair with 50 limits on many wide open A/B roads that would have always been NSL. Then the locals (and tourists?) seem to think you have to drive 10mph below any posted limit!

You should try neighbouring fenland. Mostly NSL still, trucks will be bouncing off their limiters and most locals think NSL is 70. Only problem is stopping the car bouncing off the road :lol:

Romney marshes on a winters day - few people, lovely bends and hidden gems for lunch (and no I'm not telling).

Horse

Postby Horse » Fri Jun 10, 2016 2:12 pm

I try to concentrate on smoothness. The greatest compliment for me is to have all the passengers snoozing and me left quietly to get on with enjoying the driving.

If you can't change it, get used to it and find a different challenge. Either that or run for parliament and get the laws changed?
Your 'standard' is how you drive alone, not how you drive during a test.

GTR1400MAN

Postby GTR1400MAN » Fri Jun 10, 2016 5:26 pm

jont- wrote:
GTR1400MAN wrote:You should try neighbouring fenland. Mostly NSL still, trucks will be bouncing off their limiters and most locals think NSL is 70. Only problem is stopping the car bouncing off the road :lol:

Was there on Sunday visiting the Ayscoughfee Café, Spalding. (Photo Album)

Another 210 miles clocked up on the Blue Smoothie, although the long straights on the Fens felt like I was on a galloping horse. :D
Mike Roberts - Now riding a Triumph Explorer XRT. My username comes from my 50K miles on a Kawasaki 1400GTR, after many years on Hondas of various shapes and styles. - https://tinyurl.com/mikerobertsonyoutube

Return to “General Chat”