All change

Anything that doesn't fit elsewhere - doesn't have to be AD related.
Horse

Re: All change

Postby Horse » Wed May 18, 2016 3:47 pm

Imsensible wrote:
StressedDave wrote:
Imsensible wrote:If only Skodas were as exciting as that! ;)
I've had three Skodas, so what does that say about me?

By exciting, I meant visually, aesthetically, internally and externally...

That seems to say that you spend far too much time looking around the car interior rather than looking out of the windscreen :D :lol:
Your 'standard' is how you drive alone, not how you drive during a test.

akirk

Postby akirk » Wed May 18, 2016 4:21 pm

Imsensible wrote:By exciting, I meant visually, aesthetically, internally and externally...

I think this is actually the strong part of a current skoda - I really like the look of them, proportions and styling is very good, inside and out - very little to complain about...

however I think that they are boring if you analyse them for driver feedback / steering feel / responsiveness / driver enjoyment - they are very competent, but have far less enjoyment than e.g. my Z3 which is technically not as good a car...

Alasdair

jont-

Postby jont- » Wed May 18, 2016 4:31 pm

akirk wrote:
Imsensible wrote:By exciting, I meant visually, aesthetically, internally and externally...

I think this is actually the strong part of a current skoda - I really like the look of them, proportions and styling is very good, inside and out - very little to complain about...

however I think that they are boring if you analyse them for driver feedback / steering feel / responsiveness / driver enjoyment - they are very competent, but have far less enjoyment than e.g. my Z3 which is technically not as good a car...

Yes, modern white goods. While it's useful having a clever oven with lots of fancy features, I don't actually get excited about using it.

Silk

Postby Silk » Wed May 18, 2016 5:16 pm

jont- wrote:
akirk wrote:

Yes, modern white goods. While it's useful having a clever oven with lots of fancy features, I don't actually get excited about using it.

I think most people would like a nice car in the same way they would like a nice house. You don't hear people say they have an exiting house.

Mr Cholmondeley-Warner

Postby Mr Cholmondeley-Warner » Wed May 18, 2016 5:28 pm

White goods are useful though, and if they can look a bit sharp in the process, who's complaining? I can't have a Porker for my work car, so I have something that's cheap enough to run and provides some entertainment while being big enough, and comfortable enough for long journeys both on business and Northwards to Jockland when Mrs. C. and I go on holiday.
Nick

Imsensible

Postby Imsensible » Wed May 18, 2016 6:49 pm

Silk wrote:For what it's worth, I think the new Octavia is one of the best looking mainstream cars on the road at the moment, inside and out. I'd say it's more sharp suit than tracksuit and trainers - but that probably says more about you than the car.

Firstly, my original description was "dull", which is a perfectly apt description. But if you can't correlate the word "exciting" with a visual stimulus, then perhaps you need to ask the surgeon to undo the frontal lobotomy.

Where you get the idea of tracksuit and trainers eludes me. It's just another case of you going from one extreme to another. There are many mainstream cars that look more interesting than a Skoda Octavia. Skoda and VW designers seem to have the most boring and Sombre ideas in the car industry. I don't wear tracksuits. I do wear trainers... probably a bit too modern for you. ;)

Imsensible

Postby Imsensible » Wed May 18, 2016 7:11 pm

akirk wrote:

Alasdair

I have to agree with you on this. Too many modern cars feel sterile. Competent, but they don't induce any real emotion. I drove a couple of Seat Ibiza's, one with 140hp, and they both felt heavy and numb. Not good for a small car. Same with the VX Corsa and other cars I've tried. The last Mazda 2 or current Suzuki Swift feel far more 'alive' and responsive. Many modern cars seem to have the same problem. Too much weight, too many gadgets etc, etc.

Imsensible

Postby Imsensible » Wed May 18, 2016 7:25 pm

Horse wrote:
Imsensible wrote:
StressedDave wrote:
Imsensible wrote:If only Skodas were as exciting as that! ;)
I've had three Skodas, so what does that say about me?

By exciting, I meant visually, aesthetically, internally and externally...

That seems to say that you spend far too much time looking around the car interior rather than looking out of the windscreen :D :lol:

Absolutely, what else is a car for? :D

The interior of my current car is pretty bland, probably designed by kids, as the layout leaves much to be desired. Mind you, the Caterham I had makes it look like a Rolls Royce inside.

Silk

Postby Silk » Wed May 18, 2016 7:53 pm

Imsensible wrote:Where you get the idea of tracksuit and trainers eludes me. It's just another case of you going from one extreme to another. There are many mainstream cars that look more interesting than a Skoda Octavia. Skoda and VW designers seem to have the most boring and Sombre ideas in the car industry. I don't wear tracksuits. I do wear trainers... probably a bit too modern for you. ;)

I remember back in the day on "uk.rec.driving" we had a poster who would constantly have a dig at everyone else's choice of car but, when asked what he drove, he went all Boris Johnson. The name escapes me, but I have a feeling you may know who it is. ;-) ;-)

akirk

Postby akirk » Wed May 18, 2016 8:28 pm

Silk wrote:I think most people would like a nice car in the same way they would like a nice house. You don't hear people say they have an exiting house.

In different wording I think that they do...
Isn't it the same when comparing a modern boring, but warm / cheap to run new build with an older house with beams / period features / thatched roof / aga in the kitchen etc... they don't refer to it as exciting, but they might say it is full of character?

I have a rayburn in my kitchen - there is no way in which it is a sensible decision on paper - more expensive to run, very expensive to buy, requires annual servicing which my gas cooker doesn't need - but it is full of character, brings the house alive and apparently puts more value on the house than it cost to install! - same principle, and we can see it everywhere - fountain pens v. biro / manual or automatic wristwatch v. battery powered smart watch / ikea furniture v. hand built... the list goes on...

ultimately there is a place for both, modern soul-less efficiency and characterful, but possibly flawed - when you get character and efficient modernity in one package, then that can be a car worth having

Alasdair

Return to “General Chat”