One of the dozen

A good place to post when you join - it is a good idea to post here first so that people know something about you, and you will get a nice welcome.
TripleS

Re: One of the dozen

Postby TripleS » Tue May 17, 2016 5:25 pm

fungus wrote:The wall is covered in ivy. There is a small patch of white painted brick on the left running parelell to the road(Church Street). just after this the wall bends left at 90 degrees where a triangular area of grass separates Church Street from Back Lane which comes in from the left at an acute angle.
This is the view from the opposite direction.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@50.80245 ... 312!8i6656

Yes, I also remember the incident being discussed here, and it seemed to me that you were having an inordinate amount of difficulty in securing a just outcome. Did it finally get resolved in a manner that you felt was fair?

fungus

Postby fungus » Tue May 17, 2016 7:40 pm

TripleS wrote:
fungus wrote:The wall is covered in ivy. There is a small patch of white painted brick on the left running parelell to the road(Church Street). just after this the wall bends left at 90 degrees where a triangular area of grass separates Church Street from Back Lane which comes in from the left at an acute angle.

Yes, I also remember the incident being discussed here, and it seemed to me that you were having an inordinate amount of difficulty in securing a just outcome. Did it finally get resolved in a manner that you felt was fair?

The matter was finally resolved in as much that my insurance company have put it down as a no fault incident in which no claim was made, and have closed the case. This didn't alter the fact that my premium was loaded for three or four years as the insurance company had spent in excess of £4K on a private investigator to cover their own backs in the event of a belated personal injury claim.

Nigel.

fungus

Postby fungus » Tue May 17, 2016 8:17 pm

Imsensible wrote:I'll let you work it out for yourself, you should be able to do it. You might have to re-read some of the preceding comments. I had the same question about your last post, but decided not to ask directly. What exactly was your point?

The point being that we have to expect the unexpected, ie Gypsies using horse and trap on a busy, fast dual carriageway where it would probably not be expected, as opposed to a country lane.

The reference to the mobility scooters being able to use the said roads when they have a top speed of 8mph, being that the speed difference between a mobility scooter and a car travelling at the legal limit as most would on such roads is 62mph. This would cause chaos if someone exercised their rights and used one on either of the two roads that I mentioned. Motorways being designated as special roads have prohibition orders on such vehicles for their own safety. May be it's time to consider this on other roads too as the highways authorities have done with pedestrians, IIRC, on the A5 NW out of Shrewsbury The two roads in question A31 and A35 can carry as much traffic as a two lane motorway, and yet one of the slowest types of road user is allowed to use them. It's time for a re-think

Nigel.

Rolyan

Postby Rolyan » Wed May 18, 2016 5:46 am

fungus wrote:
TripleS wrote:

The matter was finally resolved in as much that my insurance company have put it down as a no fault incident in which no claim was made, and have closed the case. This didn't alter the fact that my premium was loaded for three or four years as the insurance company had spent in excess of £4K on a private investigator to cover their own backs in the event of a belated personal injury claim.

Nigel.

I sympathise with you. I was involved in a RTC where it was agreed that the other driver was 100% at fault, and all costs were recovered from his insurance company. Yet my premiums were increased for the next five years! Frustrating to say the least.

Many drivers/riders don't realise that this will happen in a no fault collision. They also think that protected no claims means your premium won't go up after a no fault collision, which is also not true.

jont-

Postby jont- » Wed May 18, 2016 6:36 am

Rolyan wrote:I sympathise with you. I was involved in a RTC where it was agreed that the other driver was 100% at fault, and all costs were recovered from his insurance company. Yet my premiums were increased for the next five years! Frustrating to say the least.

Many drivers/riders don't realise that this will happen in a no fault collision. They also think that protected no claims means your premium won't go up after a no fault collision, which is also not true.

I've never understood why you can't recover the costs of the increased premium if it's gone against the other driver. Had they not crashed into you, you wouldn't have incurred those costs. Then again, I think car insurance generally is a scam (see loan car hire, "whiplash" claims, details being sold to claims management companies etc etc).

ancient

Postby ancient » Wed May 18, 2016 8:10 am

fungus wrote:
Imsensible wrote:I'll let you work it out for yourself, you should be able to do it. You might have to re-read some of the preceding comments. I had the same question about your last post, but decided not to ask directly. What exactly was your point?

The point being that we have to expect the unexpected, ie Gypsies using horse and trap on a busy, fast dual carriageway where it would probably not be expected, as opposed to a country lane.

The reference to the mobility scooters being able to use the said roads when they have a top speed of 8mph, being that the speed difference between a mobility scooter and a car travelling at the legal limit as most would on such roads is 62mph. This would cause chaos if someone exercised their rights and used one on either of the two roads that I mentioned. Motorways being designated as special roads have prohibition orders on such vehicles for their own safety. May be it's time to consider this on other roads too as the highways authorities have done with pedestrians, IIRC, on the A5 NW out of Shrewsbury The two roads in question A31 and A35 can carry as much traffic as a two lane motorway, and yet one of the slowest types of road user is allowed to use them. It's time for a re-think

Nigel.

All well and good if these motorways_in_al_ but_name were provided with alternative routes for those thus displaced. Frequently they are not so provided (which is why they are not motorways, which require alternative provision). It is bad enough when such roads cut communities in half for the convenience of those passing through; depriving people of a direct route to their destination because they don't have access to a car is discriminatory.

StressedDave

Postby StressedDave » Wed May 18, 2016 8:15 am

True, but I guess that that population is tiny and you can't cater for everyone... A good one for judicial review though.
All posts are licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License. Do what you like with it, just don't make money off it.

jont-

Postby jont- » Wed May 18, 2016 8:26 am

ancient wrote:depriving people of a direct route to their destination because they don't have access to a car is discriminatory.

It might be discriminatory, but it's simply recognition of where we are as a country and that the needs of the majority outweigh those of a few. If we weren't so committed to an assumption about road transport for the majority, why are we so reticent to take driving licenses off people who demonstrate they can't play by the rules?

Keeping heads in the sand (ie trying to pretend that car transport isn't the best solution for most people) just ends up with a mess of badly implemented planning policies that work for no-one. See the parking/new build debate we had recently too.

Silk

Postby Silk » Wed May 18, 2016 2:40 pm

ancient wrote:...depriving people of a direct route to their destination because they don't have access to a car is discriminatory.

Likewise standing in the way of progress and the greater good just so granny can get to the post office once a week is bonkers.

Silk

Postby Silk » Wed May 18, 2016 2:47 pm

Horse wrote:
Silk wrote:You seem to be making the case for banning some cyclists. What would your criteria be for being allowed to ride a bicycle on the road? Should there be an age limit? Should they require a licence? Explain.

As I'm sure you realise, I'm emphasising the case for responsible driving, accepting the presence of others.

Sometimes responsible driving isn't enough. It's also up to the vulnerable to make themselves less, well, vulnerable. Some people simply shouldn't be on the road, either through incompetence, immaturity or using an unsuitable mode of transport. I suppose you think it would be ok for a four-year-old on a trike to be out on the road by themselves.

Return to “Introductions”