'Filtering' Accident

Topics relating to Advanced Riding on bikes
GTR1400MAN

'Filtering' Accident

Postby GTR1400MAN » Fri May 06, 2016 9:11 pm

This video seems to be doing the rounds on social media.

What are your thoughts? I feel out on a limb at the moment by what I posted elsewhere.
Mike Roberts - Now riding a Triumph Explorer XRT. My username comes from my 50K miles on a Kawasaki 1400GTR, after many years on Hondas of various shapes and styles. - https://tinyurl.com/mikerobertsonyoutube

Mr Cholmondeley-Warner

Re: 'Filtering' Accident

Postby Mr Cholmondeley-Warner » Fri May 06, 2016 9:52 pm

I think filtering is a bit analogous with overtaking. If you don't have somewhere to land, you risk aggravating the "targets". In this case she had to sit rather awkwardly close to the last vehicle in the queue, as well as the Focus she had just overtaken.

Of course this doesn't excuse his behaviour in the slightest. It's just that filtering is a technique that needs to be exercised in a diplomatic way these days, again like overtaking (of which it is a form) - IMHO.
Nick

exportmanuk

Postby exportmanuk » Fri May 06, 2016 10:14 pm

Hi.

In a busy city this would be considered quite polite filtering, many bikers would run the stop line to be in front of the queue, and Im not sure how large the space was this looks to have been recorded on a gopro so very wide angle and would shorten the impression of distance.

I filter a lot travelling across Manchester most days. Unfortunately some driver think that the 10+ ft of road in front of them is their private land. Happens not only when filtering, think about overtakes where you are using stepping stones to pass a line of slow moving traffic, in a car or on a bike, there will usually be someone who as you start to pass them will try to close down your landing spot by speeding up. With the case in point his response "well you cut me up" would sum up his attitude to driving. Ok so if that happens what can you do, first change foot. Put the vulnerable foot on the peg out of the way. Check if you can move forwards (upset them further by moving to the front of the queue) If not can you move further in front of the offending car. Most ( but not all) drivers would not deliberately run you over. if all else fails either be sure you move off before they do, or move out of their way.
Andrew Melton
Manchester 500

GTR1400MAN

Postby GTR1400MAN » Fri May 06, 2016 10:20 pm

You can't move to the front of the queue as it's a lights controlled pedestrian crossing ;)
Mike Roberts - Now riding a Triumph Explorer XRT. My username comes from my 50K miles on a Kawasaki 1400GTR, after many years on Hondas of various shapes and styles. - https://tinyurl.com/mikerobertsonyoutube

exportmanuk

Postby exportmanuk » Fri May 06, 2016 10:36 pm

GTR1400MAN wrote:You can't move to the front of the queue as it's a lights controlled pedestrian crossing ;)

Shouldn't , not can't IF I had got myself in that situation I would have considered moving to the stop line in just into lane 2 along side the lead vehicle as there was a left filter light at the junction. (Lane two was still clear as the rider stopped) Then been prepared to GLF on green. Or stay there until mister "its my road" was out of the way.

That the driver who closed the gap made a statement. You have to change your ride plan base on the information as it happens.
Andrew Melton
Manchester 500

MotorSportsFan

Postby MotorSportsFan » Fri May 06, 2016 10:40 pm

You can move to the front but you cannot pass the vehicle closest to the crossing.

I think that the interesting bit is he apologised, I suspect that was largely because he discovered that it was a lady that he had just tried to kill. The last driver that used his vehicle as a weapon targeted at me just got even more angry when I pointed out that he had attempted vehicular man slaughter.
Chris Kelly
Manchester 500 Advanced Motorcyclists (IAM group)

exportmanuk

Postby exportmanuk » Sat May 07, 2016 12:49 am

MotorSportsFan wrote:You can move to the front but you cannot pass the vehicle closest to the crossing.

I think that the interesting bit is he apologised, I suspect that was largely because he discovered that it was a lady that he had just tried to kill. The last driver that used his vehicle as a weapon targeted at me just got even more angry when I pointed out that he had attempted vehicular man slaughter.

I'm not sure it is a crossing it just looks like a standard lights controlled junction to me but even so there are two lanes so who is the lead vehicle and even your Bavarian tractor can out accelerate a Hyundai I20.

I think most drivers would apologise once they are out of the car,
Andrew Melton
Manchester 500

StressedDave

Postby StressedDave » Sat May 07, 2016 5:24 am

Having watched it, I couldn't work out why, when the Focus moved up, the rider simply didn't move to the rear quarter (or even further forward) of the Hyundai. I'm not a biker and, in any case, I doubt whether most drivers are completely au fait with the exact wording of the RTA, so filtering all the way to the front is probably only tutted on by the advanced driving community.
All posts are licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License. Do what you like with it, just don't make money off it.

akirk

Postby akirk » Sat May 07, 2016 6:08 am

As a non-rider, I suspect that I am not as familiar with filtering as bikers, though have no problem when it is done properly, (ie undertaking me in my lane on the motorway at 90 is not filtering but suicide! :) ) I certainly wouldn't expect drivers to know the nuances and might wonder why the rider doesn't move to the front as a pedal cycle would, or as bikes do in London...

As Mr C above states, filtering is analogous to overtaking, it is never a requirement or a right at all costs... and should always be treated with caution, in particular with how it impacts other road users who have possibly made plans based on no bike there and suddenly one appears...

A biker needs to remember also that drivers are not instinctively familiar with bikes, in a car the boundaries of the car are metal sides and mirrors, it is easy to forget that limbs are vulnerably extending outside the bike, especially where they can't be seen...

Therefore I suspect that while the driver was in the wrong in moving forward aggressively, he probably didn't intend to hit her foot, visually it might well have looked as though he was driving alongside her... Also, returning to Mr C's point about overtaking, the biker should have controlled the situation more, setting off more assertively, ready to go as soon as the lights changed, giving the focus no time to move, I suspect that even a moped could out accelerate the focus!

So, focus driver at fault, but situation partially created by the rider who then failed to continue to control the situation... More advanced riding would have factored in dealing with negative responses and avoided the situation, so I think the biker has to take some responsibility for what happened... This isn't car v. bike which many would see it as being, but simply two road users, one doing what was legal but perhaps unexpected, and failing to recognise or manage possible consequences...

Alasdair

Gareth

Postby Gareth » Sat May 07, 2016 6:30 am

As demonstrated, while it might be legal it isn't what one would normally do in other queuing situations, such as waiting for the next bank teller.

While this behaviour seems to be fairly common, how would it have felt to the queuing drivers if someone in a supercar drove past using the right turn lane, with the aim of out-accelerating the lead car to turn left, or angling to push in behind the lead car, when the filter light changed?
there is only the road, nothing but the road ...

Return to “Advanced Driving - Bikes”