Low Profile Tyres. Why?

Anything that doesn't fit elsewhere - doesn't have to be AD related.
Gareth

Re: Low Profile Tyres. Why?

Postby Gareth » Thu Apr 14, 2016 10:01 am

Gareth wrote:Just need the weights of two wheels now, (and then we have some statistically insignificant data).

I've found a website with some wheel weights ... according to this, the same model 14" and 15" wheels that might be close enough to be a reasonable comparison are:

With the tyre weights above, the 14" combination weighs 14.86 kg while the 15" combination weighs 15.57 kg.
there is only the road, nothing but the road ...

StressedDave

Postby StressedDave » Thu Apr 14, 2016 12:09 pm

Gareth wrote:
StressedDave wrote:The only way to get a better lap time with the same amount of power is stickier tyres and the suspension optimised for those stickier tyres.

Not a lighter wheel/tyre combination?

Hence the comments about suspension optimised. Unsprung mass is far less of an issue than people think and mostly concerned with ride.

FWIW, the last lot of suspension I developed was wholly intolerant of tyre and wheel size. But that was mostly road. I did develop on the smallest wheels and as a reasonable set of ditchfinder (they lasted 40k miles under my tutelage) tyres as I could manage.
All posts are licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License. Do what you like with it, just don't make money off it.

WhoseGeneration

Postby WhoseGeneration » Fri Apr 15, 2016 6:10 pm

I, earlier, mentioned marketing because, often, a particular car is as standard on, say, 17" wheels with an extra cost option of 18". Tyre size on option lower profile.

No mention of suspension retuned for 18" option. It'll just be a different box ticked on build sheet.

Return to “General Chat”