Winter to summer tires

Technology in driving is becoming more dominant...
ChristianAB

Winter to summer tires

Postby ChristianAB » Sun Mar 27, 2016 9:43 pm

I switched back to summer tires yesterday, and it's amazing the difference it makes. Once more I'm getting a lot of feedback through the steering wheel but I also need to be more mindful of slippery road surfaces.
What is your experience? Have you ever felt that a new set of tires made such a difference that you actually had to adjust your driving technique?

Astraist

Re: Winter to summer tires

Postby Astraist » Mon Mar 28, 2016 6:15 am

Adjust my driving style - no. But than again, my driving style is relatively invariant of the surface, unless it's really extra-ordinarily slippery, as with ice, which doesn't happen.

But I do notice the difference with each new set of tyres. I have the habit of swapping tyres not when they wear down, but rather when they don't supply quite as much grip and/or become less efficient in turning it into braking and cornering performance, which affects safety.

There's a staggering difference between a new tyre and a tyre that had been driven for four years, which we've found to be the upper limit beyond which the performance of the tyre drops significantly, time normally being the dominant factor instead of milleage.

Another thing to consider is that a new tyre doesn't grip quite as well untill it has a few dozens of miles on it. Anyhow, in warm weather (dunno if you've heared of that :lol: ;) ), summer tyres provide far better response compared to winter tyres.

TripleS

Postby TripleS » Mon Mar 28, 2016 10:26 am

Astraist wrote:....in warm weather (dunno if you've heared of that :lol: ;) ), summer tyres provide far better response compared to winter tyres.

....possibly, but if that 'improved response' (and better grip?) is available at a time when most drivers don't need it, with the downside that those summer tyres can prove to be a serious handicap when we get a light dusting of snow, such an arrangement is not a good one IMHO.

Astraist

Postby Astraist » Mon Mar 28, 2016 1:47 pm

Obviously, if there is the possibility of encountering snow still than stying with winter tyres or using all-season or M/S tyres is better. There are places where the winter is snowy, but there is no chance to encounter snow in the summer, where summer tyres are desirable, and winter tyres should not be used in summer time.

And than there are countries where there isn't snow at all. 8-)

Anyhow, people have the ability to accomplish what is seemingly impossible, and I see a lot of people writing off cars in the dry. Tarmac quality and dirt also play a role here.

I see even more drivers where better/newer/less worn tyres would have made the stopping distance shorter to a degree that would have prevented a collision that occured. Same is true for some suspension parts.

Silk

Postby Silk » Mon Mar 28, 2016 9:16 pm

ChristianAB wrote:I switched back to summer tires yesterday.

What do you want, a medal? :roll:

P.S. It's "tyres".

HTH

TheInsanity1234

Postby TheInsanity1234 » Mon Mar 28, 2016 9:29 pm

Silk wrote:

P.S. It's "tyres".

HTH

Your pedantry is tiring... ;)

Silk

Postby Silk » Tue Mar 29, 2016 4:05 pm

TheInsanity1234 wrote:
Silk wrote:

P.S. It's "tyres".

HTH

Your pedantry is tiring... ;)

I'm just tyred of all the tyre threads. My advice is simple - stop driving like a tit and you can use whatever tyres you like. :lol:

Mr Cholmondeley-Warner

Postby Mr Cholmondeley-Warner » Tue Mar 29, 2016 4:28 pm

Could we try and be polite, please.
Nick

Silk

Postby Silk » Tue Mar 29, 2016 4:36 pm

Mr Cholmondeley-Warner wrote:Could we try and be polite, please.

I'm very polite sir.

Gareth

Postby Gareth » Tue Mar 29, 2016 4:42 pm

Silk wrote:I'm just tyred of all the tyre threads.

I'm tired of you going on about it, and tired of you contributing negative or sniping comments to threads which you claim have no interest to you. I wish you'd have the courtesy to let others discuss what interests them without your constant harping. Basically, I wish you'd grow up a bit.
there is only the road, nothing but the road ...

Return to “Technology”