Leaving your car in gear when parked

Articles of interest to the AD community, currently in the news.
Bumblebee16

Leaving your car in gear when parked

Postby Bumblebee16 » Mon Mar 14, 2016 8:15 pm

I have just read this article:

https://conversation.which.co.uk/motori ... hway-code/

I am surprised at the number of drivers who don't leave their car parked in gear.
Occasionally, at work, cars roll down the slopes. (There are quite a few of them!) The drivers say they didn't know that they should have left their car in gear!

WhoseGeneration

Re: Leaving your car in gear when parked

Postby WhoseGeneration » Mon Mar 14, 2016 8:44 pm

Belt and braces, a backup system is always a good idea.
However, if leaving a car parked up for a long time, in a garage for example and the floor is levelish, I leave in gear without the handbrake applied.

trashbat

Postby trashbat » Mon Mar 14, 2016 9:19 pm

Mark of the IAM wrote:‘On an uphill incline turn the wheels away from the kerb and leave the vehicle in first gear. Similarly when facing downhill, the vehicle may be left in reverse and the wheels turned towards the kerb.’

My bold. There's no meaningful difference, is there?

Gareth

Postby Gareth » Mon Mar 14, 2016 9:26 pm

trashbat wrote:
Mark of the IAM wrote:‘On an uphill incline turn the wheels away from the kerb and leave the vehicle in first gear. Similarly when facing downhill, the vehicle may be left in reverse and the wheels turned towards the kerb.’

My bold. There's no meaningful difference, is there?

I do the opposite because the cam-belt on some cars may jump (when started) if the engine has been turned backwards.
there is only the road, nothing but the road ...

chriskay

Postby chriskay » Mon Mar 14, 2016 11:57 pm

If you fail to do this in San Francisco, you get a ticket. Of course, they have some fearsome hills there.
Carpe diem

jont-

Postby jont- » Tue Mar 15, 2016 8:30 am

chriskay wrote:

If you fail to do this in San Francisco, you get a ticket. Of course, they have some fearsome hills there.

Presumably you mean in Park though, since most of them are autos?

sussex2

Postby sussex2 » Tue Mar 15, 2016 9:40 am

I've always left my cars in gear (excepting a few Saabs that did that anyway) and I always press the button on the hand brake when I use it; plus a good push of the foot brake to 'set' the handbrake.
I've noticed recently that a lot of people simply yank (that's what it sounds like) the handbrake up. It is mentioned in some handbooks for cars to do it this way. I believe I saw it in a Seat handbook.
I angle the wheels on hills and am generally amazed by the lack of this in towns such as Brighton; a town full of steep hills.

Astraist

Postby Astraist » Tue Mar 15, 2016 9:51 am

On the other hand, if the road IS level, than other than setting the handbrake, the rest is a pointless exercise. If the car is parked at the kerb besides the road and is hit hard when in gear - it might damage the gearbox.

Likewise, having the steering turned might move it (ever so slightly) towards an unwanted direction, as well as putting some tension into the steering protective gaiter.

Gareth wrote:I do the opposite because the cam-belt on some cars may jump (when started) if the engine has been turned backwards.

I've seen people do that. Theoretically, it should provide much the same resistance to the movement of the car, so it is preferable.

chriskay

Postby chriskay » Tue Mar 15, 2016 1:31 pm

jont- wrote:
chriskay wrote:

Presumably you mean in Park though, since most of them are autos?

Yes: it was the kerbing of the wheels I was referring to; I should have been clearer.
Carpe diem

Triquet

Postby Triquet » Tue Mar 15, 2016 5:32 pm

As an old Saab hand I don't have an option. Just bought another one (but that's a new thread) ....

Return to “In The News”