Old ADUK...oh dear

Anything that doesn't fit elsewhere - doesn't have to be AD related.
Horse

Re: Old ADUK...oh dear

Postby Horse » Tue Mar 08, 2016 9:39 am

And they probably spit like dodgy carburettors :)
Your 'standard' is how you drive alone, not how you drive during a test.

TheInsanity1234

Postby TheInsanity1234 » Wed Mar 09, 2016 5:45 pm

skodatezzer wrote:
TheInsanity1234 wrote:Sounds great! I've always been interested in Physics, was considering engineering as a degree, but I'm afraid all the engineers I know are rather dull, and although pleasant, not the kind of person I'd invite over for dinner. However, the Physics lot have all been a bit on the insane side and they are closer in personality to me :mrgreen:

I think physicists get the highest score on my personal weirdometer, just beating mathematicians by a short head. All musicians, by contrast, are completely normal and balanced individuals. One of my very favourite ex-pupils (now a Facebook friend. and a not-half-bad 'cellist to boot) is in her first year of a Physics degree at Oxford, and vehemently refutes my position on the matter. This girl keeps two llamas in her (extensive) back garden. I rest my case.

And this forum is all about advanced driving, right? :lol:

But I have a golden example at my school. There were 3 physics teachers, one who has a PhD in Nuclear Physics (Dr.), one who has a MA in Physics (MPhys), and one who has left now, he had a MA in Engineering (MEng).

The two that did a physics degree (MPhys taught me for AS physics alongside the one with a MEng, and the Dr. is currently teaching me for A2), I get on with famously. They love to chat about all the weird things in life, and I even had an extensive discussion with the MPhys teacher about the differences in types of suicide between ladies and men, and how men would probably throw themselves in front of a train or off a bridge for maximum death story material, whereas ladies would just pop a load of pills and die quietly in a room somewhere so they don't inconvenience anyone. You get the gist. The Dr is also equally fascinating, and we will happily spend whole lessons just chatting about various things that have nothing to do with Physics. It's a wonder I even learn anything :mrgreen:

The one with an MEng was incredibly clever, and he lead a very long and interesting life, and he had lots of friends all of whom had done this and that etc. Unfortunately, I found him about as interesting as a deceased fly. He was pleasant to chat with (read: listen to as he burbled on about yet another life experience), but I really wouldn't want to spend much more than a hour with him, as he was so wonderfully rational and dull that he never ever wanted to engage in philosophical discussions on various aspects of life. Unfortunately, I wish I could say he was a rare kind of person, but no. Nearly every Engineering person I've encountered was like him, they've lead extraordinary lives and have a lot of wonderful stories, but I'd never gel with them.

akirk

Postby akirk » Wed Mar 09, 2016 6:13 pm

So what you prefer is divergent thinking v. convergent thinking...
Ref. Guildford 1950s and Hudson 1960s
http://homepages.which.net/~gk.sherman/mbaaaaa.htm
Convergent is much more engineering
Divergent, far more experimental...

Divergent thinking is the ability to find as many possible answers to a particular problem.
Convergent thinking is the ability to find the best single answer to a problem

I will leave you to work out which fits best at different levels of AD
Alasdair

WhoseGeneration

Postby WhoseGeneration » Wed Mar 09, 2016 6:48 pm

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/L._J._K._Setright
Problem is, we seem to have lost the concept of "Renaissance Man". Probably due to "The division of labour".

Horse

Postby Horse » Wed Mar 09, 2016 9:27 pm

akirk wrote:Divergent thinking is the ability to find as many possible answers to a particular problem.
Convergent thinking is the ability to find the best single answer to a problem

I will leave you to work out which fits best at different levels of AD

But surely Roadcraft is the one true way? :ugeek:

:roll: :lol: :D

TripleS

Postby TripleS » Wed Jun 01, 2016 5:19 am

Nothing seems to be happening at ADUK. Is it going to disappear completely?

TheInsanity1234

Postby TheInsanity1234 » Wed Jun 01, 2016 7:35 am

Well I noticed when someone introduced themselves over on ADUK, the new owner actually posted in the introduction thread pointing them to ADHub, here.

So it looks like the new owner may have accepted the demise of the forum.

akirk

Postby akirk » Wed Jun 01, 2016 8:55 am

I am not sure that he bought ADUK for the forum - he bought it for the google ranking...
pop in advanced driving forum and ADUK is still top - and will be for a bit
however (and it varies for everyone) with no SEO done - just by existing, ADHub is now 4th on a recent search - it has been steadily climbing the rankings...

Alasdair

TheInsanity1234

Postby TheInsanity1234 » Wed Jun 01, 2016 1:59 pm

4th for me too when searching "Advanced driving forum". The first hit is ADUK, as is the second. The third is the advanced driving section at Piston heads, then 4th is ADHub.

Horse

Postby Horse » Wed Jun 01, 2016 8:07 pm

TheInsanity1234 wrote:4th for me too when searching "Advanced driving forum". The first hit is ADUK, as is the second. The third is the advanced driving section at Piston heads, then 4th is ADHub.

Of course, the more recent and relevant mentions of advanced driving, advanced motorcycling, roadcraft, iam, rospa, roadar, training, coaching and tests, the higher ADhub's Google ranking will be :)

Return to “General Chat”