Caught on camera... How not to overtake...

Articles of interest to the AD community, currently in the news.
akirk

Re: Caught on camera... How not to overtake...

Postby akirk » Sat Dec 05, 2015 7:56 pm

I think that anyone in their right mind would like to see those who drive so abysmally dealt with by the authorities...
however I think that it is right to be concerned about the extent to which CCTV has spread, and an increasing encouragment of a certain type of person who spends more time 'dobbing in' any minor transgression they see than worrying about their own abilities / skills... reminiscent of some of the worst periods of history when society used members of the public to trap and spy on others... There is also a very good parable about planks in eyes!

ALasdair

CautiousD

Postby CautiousD » Tue Mar 08, 2016 9:50 am

The reason for why I sometimes have a dashcam in my car, is to record my own driving. I don't upload it anywhere (except for one occasion where my footage helped the police to locate an elderly man who had somehow found his way onto the M23 and was going the wrong way on the hard shoulder up the A27 off-slip.). I don't doubt that I'm an exception to the normal use of dashcams but it has helped me a couple of times when my car has been bumped in car parks, as it's also triggered by motion. But I'm more a busybody with regard to my own driving than I am anyone else's, in this regard.

What is being argued here, is ethics. The outcome will always be equally weighted on opposing sides. As much for as against. Evolution of technology will ensure that every new car will be traceable and its entire life remotely viewable in a similar way as owners of mobile phones are with IMEI, cameras and useage data. So enjoy it while you can because the golden age of autonomous road driving is near its end. Hydrogen Fuel Cells, Tesla(batteries for eBMWs), Masdar Institute etc are changing our perceived needs from the bottom up and as Britain is an importer of cars and not a manufacturer, it won't be much of an argument against upgrading major networks to work better with tech. So no more BGOL, Middle lane, cornering threads and more of car owners getting to where they needed to go, in one piece. Not saying I'll miss driving, just that it's time is limited.

martine

Postby martine » Tue Mar 08, 2016 1:01 pm

CautiousD wrote:...and as Britain is an importer of cars and not a manufacturer...

From wikepedia:
In 2008 the UK automotive manufacturing sector had a turnover of £52.5 billion, generated £26.6 billion of exports and produced around 1.45 million passenger vehicles.

...Not saying I'll miss driving, just that it's time is limited.

I would miss it but I reckon it's not going to change as a mainstream activity for at least 20 years and after that, perhaps only odd (!) driving enthusiasts (like most of the people here) will continue to manually drive a car...and I will be one of them.
Martin - Bristol Advanced Motorists: IMI National Observer, Group Secretary, Masters (dist), DSA: ADI, Fleet, RoSPA (Dip)

akirk

Postby akirk » Tue Mar 08, 2016 1:09 pm

CautiousD wrote:What is being argued here, is ethics. The outcome will always be equally weighted on opposing sides. As much for as against. Evolution of technology will ensure that every new car will be traceable and its entire life remotely viewable in a similar way as owners of mobile phones are with IMEI, cameras and useage data. So enjoy it while you can because the golden age of autonomous road driving is near its end. Hydrogen Fuel Cells, Tesla(batteries for eBMWs), Masdar Institute etc are changing our perceived needs from the bottom up and as Britain is an importer of cars and not a manufacturer, it won't be much of an argument against upgrading major networks to work better with tech. So no more BGOL, Middle lane, cornering threads and more of car owners getting to where they needed to go, in one piece. Not saying I'll miss driving, just that it's time is limited.

Truth in that - but the conclusion is wrong - as was so presciently outlined in George Orwell's 1984, the more a government moves away from an expectation of responsibility to the control of actions - the easier it is for those who walk their own path to slip under the net... My 2015 Skoda undoubtedly has lots of tracking and metrics - my 2001 z3 undoubtedly doesn't my 1971 series 2a / mgb don't really know what fuses are let alone computers... The choice will still be there for the driver - a different set of choices, but choice none the less...

arguably for someone who is a bit of an anarchist - if the government moves to tracking and convicting based on an intelligence-led approach, then it will be easy enough for someone with a car that doesn't fit that pattern to do as they wish - easier than now as they will be outside expected patterns of behaviour - it is an anomaly not normally considered by the authorities... so while 99% of people will drive under the speed limit because their cars won't let them do otherwise, the anarchist will overtake in their 19xx sports car doing whatever they want and no-one will know :)

Alasdair

sussex2

Postby sussex2 » Tue Mar 08, 2016 1:09 pm

akirk wrote:I think that anyone in their right mind would like to see those who drive so abysmally dealt with by the authorities...
however I think that it is right to be concerned about the extent to which CCTV has spread, and an increasing encouragment of a certain type of person who spends more time 'dobbing in' any minor transgression they see than... reminiscent of some of the worst periods of history when society used members of the public to trap and spy on others... There is also a very good parable about planks in eyes!

ALasdair

' worrying about their own abilities / skills' which are often poor in the extreme.
I don't approve of this wholesale use of CCTV in the UK and have always found our motives for having it dubious.

Astraist

Postby Astraist » Tue Mar 08, 2016 1:55 pm

CautiousD wrote:The reason for why I sometimes have a dashcam in my car, is to record my own driving. I don't upload it anywhere (except for one occasion where my footage helped the police to locate an elderly man who had somehow found his way onto the M23 and was going the wrong way on the hard shoulder up the A27 off-slip.). I don't doubt that I'm an exception to the normal use of dashcams but it has helped me a couple of times when my car has been bumped in car parks, as it's also triggered by motion. But I'm more a busybody with regard to my own driving than I am anyone else's, in this regard.

While I don't use a dashcam, my occasional clients often do, and it's a very beneficial tool for coaching. It allows to review near-misses and discuss them from a preventative point of view.

sussex2

Postby sussex2 » Tue Mar 08, 2016 3:43 pm

https://scontent-lhr3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hp ... e=5756C0A5

This has always been the best CCTV and is widely used in Spain :)

Old habits die hard! Which is why there are strict rules about the use of the modern CCTV in that country; they've been spied on enough in the past.

Return to “In The News”