Would you?

Topics relating to Advanced Driving in cars
TripleS

Re: Would you?

Postby TripleS » Tue Feb 23, 2016 5:08 pm

chriskay wrote:
TripleS wrote:I'd like to have had a look at this, but it tells me I need a plugin (which I don't seem to have) in order to view it so I guess that's that.

Doesn't it give you a link to download the plug-in?

Not that I've seen, but as my computer skills are on a par with my knowledge of cars and driving, you can see how hopeless the situation is. :roll:

Never mind, at least I'm progressing OK with my undefloor heating project. :D

Best wishes all,
Dave.

Silk

Postby Silk » Wed Feb 24, 2016 5:48 pm

TripleS wrote:Never mind, at least I'm progressing OK with my undefloor heating project. :D

Will you be linking it up to your Hive?

TripleS

Postby TripleS » Thu Feb 25, 2016 6:13 pm

Silk wrote:
TripleS wrote:Never mind, at least I'm progressing OK with my undefloor heating project. :D

Will you be linking it up to your Hive?

Probably not, I'm too busy to get involved with bee keeping, but that doesn't matter. Bill, next door, keeps bees and hens, so he supplies us with eggs, and occasionally honey, which is a nice arrangement and very kind of him. 8-)

Best wishes all,
Dave.

ChristianAB

Postby ChristianAB » Sat Feb 27, 2016 12:15 pm

A bit late to the party but here is my take on it:

Assuming I have a car in which I feel safe under those conditions (front or 4-wheel drive, top notch tyres for rainy conditions) such as my mazda 6, and assuming that I would have been closing in before the view opens, then I would have probably gone for the offside slightly before the solid line ends, and then yes, I would have gone for it.

If I really want to overtake the car in front, I trust my view more than the lines on the road.

With that said what is most likely is that I would have gone offside a bit too late, reassessed and by then realised that it was not on.

TripleS

Postby TripleS » Sat Feb 27, 2016 4:47 pm

ChristianAB wrote:If I really want to overtake the car in front, I trust my view more than the lines on the road.

Quite right too, so do I; but that might mean I contravene the double white line system occasionally.

I've always objected to the principle that "you can never overtake here because there is a possible hazard", when in fact a safe overtake might be easily doable at the time I'm there and assessing the situation at that time.

Best wishes all,
Dave.

Gareth

Postby Gareth » Sat Feb 27, 2016 4:57 pm

TripleS wrote:I've always objected to the principle that "you can never overtake here because there is a possible hazard", when in fact a safe overtake might be easily doable at the time I'm there and assessing the situation at that time.

Isn't that the difference between where the centre line has been correctly painted vs where it has not?
there is only the road, nothing but the road ...

TripleS

Postby TripleS » Sun Feb 28, 2016 8:22 am

Gareth wrote:
TripleS wrote:I've always objected to the principle that "you can never overtake here because there is a possible hazard", when in fact a safe overtake might be easily doable at the time I'm there and assessing the situation at that time.

Isn't that the difference between where the centre line has been correctly painted vs where it has not?

Sorry, but I'm confused now - nothing new in that! :?

I was having a moan/whinge about the double white line system, not a normal centre-line. I do like a centre-line, where the road is wide enough to make it appropriate, but I wouldn't bother about hazard lines. To me they are an unhelpful feature (which I suspect most drivers do not recognise and benefit from) - along with a large proportion of signs and markings. :evil:

CautiousD

Postby CautiousD » Mon Mar 07, 2016 5:40 pm

Not unless I could safely exceed the speed limit. The expected puddle/water on the left at the bottom of the hill could cause the lead car to move away from it and I wouldn't want to be scraping my sump off the road due to compression either, so probably not. That was the point at which I imagine I would had reached if I had overtaken at the first safe opportunity. The lead car seemed to hold a constant course and speed, so I wouldn't expect anything too sudden from them. If I did decide to overtake, I would have done so while hoping that I hadn't missed anything, such as a pothole.

Return to “Advanced Driving - Cars”