Live Fast, Drive Hard - My RoSPA Diary

Topics relating to Advanced Driving in cars
fengpo

Re: Live Fast, Drive Hard - My RoSPA Diary

Postby fengpo » Mon Feb 01, 2016 11:07 am

Enjoyed reading the write up. Found myself agreeing with the advice offered to you. Keep enjoying the drives.

Rainmaker

Postby Rainmaker » Mon Feb 01, 2016 11:29 am

Thanks again, everyone. I'm glad it was worthwhile typing up and sharing. I'm really looking forward to the next one already, it's a shame they're only fortnightly! Plenty of opportunities to 'practice' in the meantime mind you. :)

waremark

Postby waremark » Mon Feb 01, 2016 2:16 pm

Agree that it is well written and enjoyable to read - but not at all typical of someone starting the process, I would suggest, since the OP had a considerable amount of advanced driver training prior to starting with Rospa.

Rainmaker

Postby Rainmaker » Mon Feb 01, 2016 2:31 pm

waremark wrote:Agree that it is well written and enjoyable to read - but not at all typical of someone starting the process, I would suggest, since the OP had a considerable amount of advanced driver training prior to starting with Rospa.

Thanks again, and that is true. I was hoping my mate would write a corresponding diary from his viewpoint to go alongside. That was the original plan, but alas he hasn't done so (yet?).

Mr Cholmondeley-Warner

Postby Mr Cholmondeley-Warner » Mon Feb 01, 2016 8:00 pm

jont- wrote:
Mini Spirit wrote:I'm shocked about BGOL with ROSPA, I always thought they was more strict about that the IAM.

There appears to be more variation between individual observers in the organisations than there is at philosophical level. And IME the examiners are more relaxed than the observers about many nit-picky things.

Don't take it for granted though. 95% of examiners have a Police background and have been taught to drive without BGOL. While they may be tolerant these days (basically because most of Joe Public can't manage to drive without BGOL so nobody'd pass if they were strict) they still prefer you to do it "properly".
Nick

superplum

Postby superplum » Mon Feb 01, 2016 8:45 pm

Mini Spirit wrote:Excellent Diary, keep up the good work, I'm shocked about BGOL with ROSPA, I always thought they was more strict about that the IAM.

Stew.

Must be a local or individual policy - it's not national!
8-)

Rainmaker

Postby Rainmaker » Mon Feb 01, 2016 8:58 pm

As I mentioned in the latest entry, I'm looking to be paired with their ex-police fleet trainer next time around, so it's something I'll definitely ask to explore with him. :)

Strangely Brown

Postby Strangely Brown » Tue Feb 02, 2016 6:32 am

Mr Cholmondeley-Warner wrote:Don't take it for granted though. 95% of examiners have a Police background...

Really? I thought ALL examiners held a police advanced driving certificate. I admit that I haven't looked in recent years but that always used to be one of the selling points for both RoSPA and IAM.

chriskay

Postby chriskay » Tue Feb 02, 2016 11:10 am

Strangely Brown wrote:
Mr Cholmondeley-Warner wrote:Don't take it for granted though. 95% of examiners have a Police background...

Really? I thought ALL examiners held a police advanced driving certificate. I admit that I haven't looked in recent years but that always used to be one of the selling points for both RoSPA and IAM.

I thought so too until a few years ago when I was re-tested by an examiner from the ambulance service.
Carpe diem

Strangely Brown

Postby Strangely Brown » Tue Feb 02, 2016 11:23 am

chriskay wrote:I thought so too until a few years ago when I was re-tested by an examiner from the ambulance service.

Did they have a former life as a police officer though?

RoADAR website wrote:The test lasts around 45 to 70 minutes, and is taken with a RoSPA Examiner, all of whom are serving or retired Police Officers in the UK.

I had one retest with a Fire Service instructor/examiner. He just happened to be a former head of the local Police Driving school.

Return to “Advanced Driving - Cars”