Automation deskilling pilots

Technology in driving is becoming more dominant...
jont-

Automation deskilling pilots

Postby jont- » Fri Jan 15, 2016 11:48 am

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2016/01/15 ... ed_planes/
Sorry, tech journal, but links to the US FAA:
https://www.oig.dot.gov/sites/default/f ... 1-7-16.pdf

Will we see (are we seeing?) the same problems in cars over the next 5-10 years?

Arguably we see it already in icy weather conditions when people seem to expect electronics to magically create friction out of nothing and exempt them from the laws of physics.

Horse

Re: Automation deskilling pilots

Postby Horse » Fri Jan 15, 2016 11:49 am

I can remember reading about a well-known racing driver, saying that driving in a German race series where ABS was permitted had lowered his skill level for other racing.
Your 'standard' is how you drive alone, not how you drive during a test.

ChristianAB

Postby ChristianAB » Fri Jan 15, 2016 9:55 pm

This question has already been thoroughly researched. Just read "the glass cage - where automation is taking us" by Nicholas Carr.

Yes, it's already happening and, unfortunately, the pace at which automation in car is deskilling drivers is actually accelerating. But I will stop here. I have said enough already on this topic in various other posts throughout this hub.

jont-

Postby jont- » Sat Jan 16, 2016 7:08 am

ChristianAB wrote:This question has already been thoroughly researched. Just read "the glass cage - where automation is taking us" by Nicholas Carr.

Thanks for the suggestion - will have a read.

martine

Postby martine » Sat Jan 16, 2016 7:35 pm

jont- wrote:http://www.theregister.co.uk/2016/01/15/pilots_forget_how_to_fly_automated_planes/
Sorry, tech journal, but links to the US FAA:
https://www.oig.dot.gov/sites/default/f ... 1-7-16.pdf

Will we see (are we seeing?) the same problems in cars over the next 5-10 years?

Arguably we see it already in icy weather conditions when people seem to expect electronics to magically create friction out of nothing and exempt them from the laws of physics.

What most would call full automation for cars is much longer than 10 years away in my opinion but as you say, it's been creeping up on us for several years now.

Thing is, aviation has never been safer* - despite the dangers of over reliance on automation - so there is an argument to say even if pilots are losing their manual flying skills, automation should be embraced and made even more widespread.

I hope there will still be a place for us enthusiastic dinosaurs of driving - when 99% of the UK's drivers are sitting in their fully automated car pod. I suspect we will be paying a lot for insurance though :( and many will think we're mad to want to drive 'manually'.

* I still find it amazing that one of the World's busiest airports (Heathrow) had it's last fatal accident in 1972 - some 44 years ago and how many hundreds of thousands of take-offs and landings?
Martin - Bristol Advanced Motorists: IMI National Observer, Group Secretary, Masters (dist), DSA: ADI, Fleet, RoSPA (Dip)

jont-

Postby jont- » Sun Jan 17, 2016 9:35 am

martine wrote:* I still find it amazing that one of the World's busiest airports (Heathrow) had it's last fatal accident in 1972 - some 44 years ago and how many hundreds of thousands of take-offs and landings?

But how much of that is due to autonomous systems? ATC is all human, I'm pretty sure most takeoffs are human, so it's only [some] landings that will be by autopilot.

Horse

Postby Horse » Sun Jan 17, 2016 10:13 am

All planes land. It's a matter of how and why . . .

jont-

Postby jont- » Sun Jan 17, 2016 10:14 am

Horse wrote:All planes land. It's a matter of how and why . . .

Any landing you can walk away from is a good one......

..... if you can re-use the plane, it's a great one :lol:

sussex2

Postby sussex2 » Sun Jan 17, 2016 11:31 am

My father during one of the few periods of his life when he was not flying (he could fly before he could drive) obtained a job with the Hillman car company - something to do with chasing up parts.
He asked a designer why cars were not fitted with disc brakes as they were so effective on aircraft. The designer answered that they 'wouldn't work' on cars. The idea of using them had not even occurred to the chap.
We know what happened to the Hillman car company and given the attitude above it's hardly surprising.

Technology and automation are one of the things that keeps our cars/aircraft/ships as safe and as reliable as they are.
A problem, with aviation, may be that it is booming and the supply of pilots is limited so they are being trained (in some parts of the world) with perhaps more haste and a greater reliance on technology than previously.

Horse

Postby Horse » Sun Jan 17, 2016 11:52 am

And they had ABS too, the Dunlop Maxaret system if my butterfly mind has landed on ghe correct piece of trivia . . .

Return to “Technology”