Posting pictures

Post here for any improvements, ideas, thoughts you might have.
akirk

Re: Posting pictures

Postby akirk » Wed Sep 30, 2015 10:18 am

do, that would be great!

Alasdair

Strangely Brown

Postby Strangely Brown » Wed Sep 30, 2015 10:59 am

Here's one with an international flavour...

Last edited by Strangely Brown on Fri Oct 02, 2015 10:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

StressedDave

Postby StressedDave » Wed Sep 30, 2015 11:54 am

Giving it a try:

All posts are licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License. Do what you like with it, just don't make money off it.

jont-

Postby jont- » Fri Oct 02, 2015 5:51 am

Is there a way to add dynamic resizing? On other forums I can just stick up a link to a picture of any size, and if it's wider than the forum it's automatically reformatted to fit.

akirk

Postby akirk » Fri Oct 02, 2015 10:02 am

I will have a look - however what that usually does is still load the original image and resize on the fly - which makes loading a page so much slower... the move is more and more towards larger original images (e.g. from mobiles at 8 - 12mb images) - I have very fast broadband here, even so with some forums it takes an age to load the photos - my preference would always be for faster loading if possible... so ideally I have a preference for images which have been resized, but will look at what possibilities there might be :)

Alasdair

jont-

Postby jont- » Fri Oct 02, 2015 10:12 am

akirk wrote:I will have a look - however what that usually does is still load the original image and resize on the fly - which makes loading a page so much slower... the move is more and more towards larger original images (e.g. from mobiles at 8 - 12mb images) - I have very fast broadband here, even so with some forums it takes an age to load the photos - my preference would always be for faster loading if possible... so ideally I have a preference for images which have been resized, but will look at what possibilities there might be :)

If I'm uploading pics, it's usually for screen use, so I often resize, but maybe only down to 1920x1080 or so. It also means if someone has a pretty picture you can use it as a desktop background. Resizing /again/ for ADUK used to be a PITA, so I rarely bothered.

Strangely Brown

Postby Strangely Brown » Fri Oct 02, 2015 10:23 am

The original of my image above is 2272 × 1704. It looks like photobucket resize to 640 x 480 during upload so that's nice and convenient. You can also upload images to thumbsnap and get them resized for forum use by using the PH uploader and then copying the URL. Like this:

mmmmmm...... slippy.

Gareth

Postby Gareth » Fri Oct 02, 2015 10:38 am

akirk wrote:I will have a look - however what that usually does is still load the original image and resize on the fly - which makes loading a page so much slower...

Page loading is already slower than it needs to be since the img tags don't include picture size, which means when one selects the newest unread post, by the time pictures have started loading, the first unread post has disappeared in a southerly direction.
there is only the road, nothing but the road ...

akirk

Postby akirk » Fri Oct 02, 2015 10:44 am

Gareth wrote:
akirk wrote:I will have a look - however what that usually does is still load the original image and resize on the fly - which makes loading a page so much slower...

Page loading is already slower than it needs to be since the img tags don't include picture size, which means when one selects the newest unread post, by the time pictures have started loading, the first unread post has disappeared in a southerly direction.

That is an interesting observation, thank you - will look at that...
I am not hugely familiar with PHPBB and tend to code my own systems rather than using someone else's, but decided that PHPBB might be best for familiarity for others - it wouldn't otherwise be my first choice...

not sure how fixable that is, I try to steer clear of too many bespoke alterations as they simply make upgrading versions more tricky - but worth looking at

Alasdair

jont-

Postby jont- » Fri Oct 02, 2015 11:22 am

Gareth wrote:

That's a good point - simply allowing size tags to be used might fix some of the problem - I tried that on ADUK, but it never seemed to work.

Return to “This Website”