What would you do?

Topics relating to Advanced Driving in cars
Gareth

Re: What would you do?

Postby Gareth » Fri Jan 01, 2016 8:21 am

titian wrote:Through a 90 degree right hander

Your memory is playing tricks on you; this bend is fairly gentle.

Germane to the discussion, though, is what speed you could reasonably expect a fast motorbike to be approaching.
there is only the road, nothing but the road ...

titian

Postby titian » Fri Jan 01, 2016 10:20 am

Gareth, you are correct, the bend is less that 90 degrees then it swings to the left. A fast motorcycle towards at that point has already negotiated two or three bends with solid white lines, his speed and positioning ought to be appropriate, however we all know that isn't always the case and it's a matter of degree. WE ought to be prepared for the unexpected, always.

Stressed - they'll kick in later in the day perhaps, new medication on New Year's day, yuck :?

As an aside, following the road in the direction of travel, the Google mapping vehicle is often over on the "wrong" side of the road, do they have special dispensation to do that?

Strangely Brown

Postby Strangely Brown » Fri Jan 01, 2016 10:57 am

titian wrote:As an aside, following the road in the direction of travel, the Google mapping vehicle is often over on the "wrong" side of the road, do they have special dispensation to do that?

Really?

SD said that his medication was fine. I do wonder about yours though. :roll:

StressedDave

Postby StressedDave » Fri Jan 01, 2016 11:40 am

titian wrote:Gareth, you are correct, the bend is less that 90 degrees then it swings to the left. A fast motorcycle towards at that point has already negotiated two or three bends with solid white lines, his speed and positioning ought to be appropriate, however we all know that isn't always the case and it's a matter of degree. WE ought to be prepared for the unexpected, always.

Stressed - they'll kick in later in the day perhaps, new medication on New Year's day, yuck :?

The angle of the bend makes stuff-all difference if you can't see. What it does do is increase the speed of an oncoming vehicle. I'd be less concerned about a motorcycle as their ability to corner is somewhat less than a car (from the point of view of self-preservation rather than any defects in tyre grip) than someone like me who would undoubtedly be punching it out of the last of that sequence.

Read my original post - not new drugs, but existing drugs that, thanks to the addition of liquid local anaesthetic dropped up the nose actually have time to work.

titian wrote:As an aside, following the road in the direction of travel, the Google mapping vehicle is often over on the "wrong" side of the road, do they have special dispensation to do that?

There's someone who hasn't seen the Google car. They have 360 degree cameras to avoid the need to double mileage by driving up and down the same road to record views.

Look at that, me explaining something to the VI (tha's like OP but with slightly more insulting undertones) without using swearwords.
All posts are licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License. Do what you like with it, just don't make money off it.

michael769

Postby michael769 » Fri Jan 01, 2016 11:59 am

I'd not want to be passing a cyclist there - not even if the double white lines weren't there.

TripleS

Postby TripleS » Sat Jan 02, 2016 9:40 am

Adamxck wrote:Is there a google maps street view of this road, if you could spare a moment to find it? I'm just interested to see where the white lines start and end in relation to the corner.

Yes, it might be helpful to see that.

I see too many double white line applications that I disagree with, so I dislike the system. If the overtake is safely doable, quite frankly I would do it. That would of course put me outside the law, but I'm more interested in practical safety, and I doubt if I'm the only one here who works on that basis if the truth be known.

Incidentally,and this might be a very minor point, I think the cyclists would probably prefer to have us go past them safely, rather than have us sitting on their tails for a while.

Best wishes all,
Dave.

TripleS

Postby TripleS » Sat Jan 02, 2016 10:01 am

akirk wrote:It is not unknown for road markings to be inappropriate for the landscape - put in place due to political demands rather than common sense, so it is not impossible that there are times when you could make a choice which on paper is illegal, but is not reducing safety.
Alasdair

Exactly. You're talking my language. :mrgreen:

Example:
At Pond Hill (A171 Whitby to Scarborough) there is a twisty section of road that, according to the DWL system, permitted overtaking if travelling towards Scarborough, but a few years ago the linework was changed to remove this option. Nothing to do with the road layout (or any practical issue affecting overtaking) has altered during the past 50 years, but whereas we used to be able to overtake there, now we can't.

TripleS

Postby TripleS » Sat Jan 02, 2016 10:10 am

titian wrote:Here's the link, draw back down the road to appreciate the approach speed & distance and the amount of clear road ahead - does that change the decision/options?

https://www.instantstreetview.com/@53.9 ... ,-5.41p,1z

Hmm, I'd need to see it for real, but at the moment I'm inclined to feel that, for me, an overtake there would not be on.

TripleS

Postby TripleS » Sat Jan 02, 2016 10:15 am

titian wrote:Stressed - they'll kick in later in the day perhaps, new medication on New Year's day, yuck :?

Huh, got my latest shot on New Year's Eve, so I'll blame my current bad mood on that - for another day or two - then I'll have to think of another excuse. :roll:

CautiousD

Postby CautiousD » Sat Jan 02, 2016 12:09 pm

If the choices are:
1. drive through, passing cyclists on a bend by crossing a solid white, while hoping nobody is doing anything similar while coming toward me.
2. wait until the situation is as safe as reasonably possible before passing.....

My initial thought is that I would slow and wait until it is possible to pass the cyclists safely, regardless of there being solid whites or not. Of course, if it's obvious that it is possible to pass the cyclists from a safe following position, then I would only wait for as long as is necessary in order to establish enough certainty before doing so. I ain't called 'Cautious D' for nothing ;)

Return to “Advanced Driving - Cars”