Caught on camera... How not to overtake...

Articles of interest to the AD community, currently in the news.
Strangely Brown

Re: Caught on camera... How not to overtake...

Postby Strangely Brown » Fri Dec 04, 2015 4:04 pm

Revian wrote:
Strangely Brown wrote:
Revian wrote:... or the one on his phone for (literally) miles driving through Liverpool...I might well have used it.

Would you have reported him if he had been on a hands-free call for (literally) miles through Liverpool?

No... At least he would have been looking where he was going.

Someone holding a phone can still "look where they're going". Are you really happy for someone to drive for mile after mile with their attention on the phone call?

Holding the phone is NOT the problem. It's the conversation.

hir

Postby hir » Fri Dec 04, 2015 4:18 pm

Revian wrote:
hir wrote:
Revian wrote:Yes and.... Don't all citizens have some responsibility for the society we live in? Wouldn't you ever step in to help or just wait for the police to see an (eg) assault happening or wait for the ambulance to arrive instead of seeing what you could do. Course you would.... I hope you would...

I would be happy to be convinced of the noble civic duty undertaken by the dashcampaigners if they could assure me that they were prepared to send video footage to the police of examples of their own bad driving caught on their own dashcams, and ask the police to prepare whatever prosecution was appropriate for them. Otherwise it's all just hypocrisy.

That's moral rubbish.. To be gentle ;).

... Your view would lead to the abolition of all laws, justice and police...

That's logical rubbish... :lol: :lol: :lol:

Jonquirk

Postby Jonquirk » Fri Dec 04, 2015 4:40 pm

Let he who is without aim cast the first stone.

Revian

Postby Revian » Fri Dec 04, 2015 5:03 pm

Strangely Brown wrote:
Revian wrote:
Strangely Brown wrote:
Revian wrote:... or the one on his phone for (literally) miles driving through Liverpool...I might well have used it.

Would you have reported him if he had been on a hands-free call for (literally) miles through Liverpool?

Someone holding a phone can still "look where they're going". Are you really happy for someone to drive for mile after mile with their attention on the phone call?

Perhaps I should have been clearer... They were looking at the phone screen, texting. It's not uncommon as people try to hide it on their laps. They are not looking at the road.
Ian

Revian

Postby Revian » Fri Dec 04, 2015 5:04 pm

hir wrote:
Revian wrote:
hir wrote:
Revian wrote:Yes and.... Don't all citizens have some responsibility for the society we live in? Wouldn't you ever step in to help or just wait for the police to see an (eg) assault happening or wait for the ambulance to arrive instead of seeing what you could do. Course you would.... I hope you would...

I would be happy to be convinced of the noble civic duty undertaken by the dashcampaigners if they could assure me that they were prepared to send video footage to the police of examples of their own bad driving caught on their own dashcams, and ask the police to prepare whatever prosecution was appropriate for them. Otherwise it's all just hypocrisy.

That's moral rubbish.. To be gentle ;).

... Your view would lead to the abolition of all laws, justice and police...

Ok... Have it your way. Youre talking logical rubbish :D
Ian

Strangely Brown

Postby Strangely Brown » Fri Dec 04, 2015 5:17 pm

Revian wrote:
Strangely Brown wrote:
Revian wrote:
Strangely Brown wrote:

Perhaps I should have been clearer... They were looking at the phone screen, texting. It's not uncommon as people try to hide it on their laps. They are not looking at the road.

OK, but... to repeat the question: Are you really happy for someone to drive for mile after mile with their attention on a phone call? Whether they are looking where they are going or not.

hir

Postby hir » Fri Dec 04, 2015 6:57 pm

Revian wrote:
hir wrote:

Ok... Have it your way. Youre talking logical rubbish :D

In what conceivable way could I be considered guilty of promulgating moral rubbish, or being illogical, by suggesting that someone who is prepared to give the police video-footage of others driving badly, but who would not submit similar evidence of their own bad driving, is guilty of hypocrisy? It certainly fits my definition of a hypocrite as being... someone who engages in the same behaviors he condemns others for.

Another, possibly even more appropriate, description would be... sanctimonious.

Mr Cholmondeley-Warner

Postby Mr Cholmondeley-Warner » Fri Dec 04, 2015 11:08 pm

Chill, people ... or the thread will be closed. No need for personal stuff. Hyperbole is always going to attract criticism. Let's get back to reality.

I've driven many hundreds of miles on hands-free conversations in my career. Yes, it causes a distraction.
I've also had no hands-free capability sometimes, and "had to" look at the phone while driving. Jaysus! That's SERIOUSLY distracting! (and very dangerous).

There's certainly a difference, even if the first is admittedly a distraction.
Nick

Keithrm

Postby Keithrm » Fri Dec 04, 2015 11:38 pm

I have front and rear cameras, for my protection more than anything else and my wife's but if it caught something nasty...it may be of interest to the authorities

martine

Postby martine » Sat Dec 05, 2015 6:10 pm

Rick448 wrote:Are you Ronnie Pickering?

:lol:

I think if you'd seen him overtake around the outside of vehicles turning right at a roundabout, 'floor it' (or 'twist it'!) on then exit - only to nearly rear-end a car in front - saved by swerving around and then nearly hit a kerb on opposite side - you'd also be somewhat concerned for his and others safety.

Or you could just shrug and say it's nothing to do with me (which is isn't, legally of course).

I was genuinely concerned and I would have loved to have a friendly chat given the chance. Anything wrong with that?
Martin - Bristol Advanced Motorists: IMI National Observer, Group Secretary, Masters (dist), DSA: ADI, Fleet, RoSPA (Dip)

Return to “In The News”